Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 11:56 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times

Advertisements

Help me out here. I like to know two things. First is the bayou the same as a swamp. If not, what is the difference. Where exactly is the swamp area and how large is it? I had a chance to take a tour but I turned it down. It was raining and it too expensive for my budget. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 12:08 AM

806 posts, read 2,960,016 times
Extremely similar. Usually characterized by moss, cypress trees, muddy water, crocodiles, pelicans, etc.

Bayous tend to be larger body of water that can be navigated, like lakes, which feature similar features to a swamp. It can get deep and run into larger rivers, etc. e.g., Lake Darbonne in Farmerville is referred to as a Bayou after the dam and most specifically the more wooded areas (runoff leading to the NWA/Ouachita river) You can see the swamp characteristics here.

Swamps tend to be very muddy, less water and harder to navigate. A wide area and very humid and full of alligator, snake, mosquitos, pelicans, doves, moss, etc. It covers a very large area and not all of the swamp can be reached by boat. See: Atchfalalaya in LA, and Everglades.

Swamps tend to be less structured

Old 08-10-2009, 12:14 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,353 times
A bayou is basically a stream with very slow moving water. Sometimes If a swampy area extends for any distance beyond the banks of the bayou or a lake, this area will collectively be referred to as the "bayou". But my personal definition is the former. I consider a swamp any largely forested area that is submerged annually or in some cases year-around. If you travel Interstate 10 between Lafayette and Baton Rouge, the highway passes over the Atchafalaya swamp.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:17 AM

806 posts, read 2,960,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
A bayou is basically a stream with very slow moving water. Sometimes If a swampy area extends for any distance beyond the banks of the bayou or a lake, this area will collectively be referred to as the "bayou". But my personal definition is the former. I consider a swamp any largely forested area that is submerged annually or in some cases year-around. If you travel Interstate 10 between Lafayette and Baton Rouge, the highway passes over the Atchafalaya swamp.
Well done.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:04 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
If you're a nature lover/photographer you should have taken the swamp tour. There are some beautiful sights in the swamp. Depending on the time of the year, there are some breath taking flowers growing in the area. A wide range of species of birds live in the swamp because of it's abundant supply of food (insects, fish, nector). One of the most beautiful sights is in the early morning hours just before the sun rises and a low fog hangs over the water in layers. As the orange glow increases, it highlights the layers of fog in a glow and you see the moss covered cyprus trees.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:28 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Hey All ....

Thanks so very much. I used to watch Justin Wilson when he was on PBS cooking. He talked about BR and bayou and alligators and the history of the area, Every once in a while he would say a few words in Cajun or French to confuse the rest of us. He used so much hot sauce, to this day I have never tasted Cajun food. I spent a week on the Gulf and never wanted to leave.

Linicx

Old 08-10-2009, 06:57 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,091 times
Bayous arent necessarily that large. there is a bayou on the northside of Lafayette near where my parents live, but its only about 100 feet across, if that. Swampland varies in size, but generally covers much larger areas in the state. the Atchafalaya basin is mainly a swamp, but a bayou makes up part of it.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:19 PM

425 posts, read 1,436,767 times
Well the dictionary definitions are something along the lines of:

Bayou: a body of water that is river like in nature, but generally shallower and the water movement is slower.

Swamp: a seasonally flooded area with dense vegetation. the woodland equivalent of a prairie bog.

The key to a swamp is that is seasonally flooded. So, for instance, a bayou could spill its banks during the spring and create a swamp, so long as the flooded area drained itself at some point in the future. Otherwise, if it stays flooded year round, I would call it a wetland/marsh

The term "bayou" is much more widely used and loosely defined. Just about any river/stream/ditch in Louisiana that is not already named in another state is called "Bayou Something-or-other." I've seen bayous anywhere from 2 feet across to 30-40 feet across with depths more than 20 feet.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:22 PM

378 posts, read 1,206,887 times
Linicx... please come for a visit! I'd recommend waiting till October or November, that's when the temperatures are more tolerable. We'd love to show you around!

Old 08-11-2009, 11:43 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
I've seen bayous anywhere from 2 feet across to 30-40 feet across with depths more than 20 feet.
The one out back of the house would be called a creek in a lot of states, but our neighbors know it's a bayou (and it's also shown on maps as a bayou). It dries up completely during summer droughts, but I've seen it as deep as 10 - 15 feet after hurricanes.

What part of Illinois do you live in, linicx?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana