Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2009, 01:20 PM

450 posts, read 2,055,680 times

Advertisements

Haven't posted for awhile. But recent rains in the Sabine Basin have brought the lake up above the take line to over 173 feet. The lake is full to the brim and they are releasing as much water as possible at the dam. And to think it was just a few years ago that some people had given up on the lake because the water was too low. Well, now it is too high! Hope there is not a big wind while the lake is up or there will be some massive bank erosion. I bought a mobile home on cement platform on 1.5 acres of land on a bluff with great breezes and a great view of the main lake down by the Pendleton Bridge this August for 115K. Am presently renting it out.

Am in the process of buying the vacant lot next door. That will give me about 200 feet of lakeshore. Now is the time to pick up some lakefront property. I still say that T-Bend is the best bargain out there. Water is about 30-40 feet deep right off my bank which is about 40 feet high. Come on out and investigate the Bend. Retirement amenities are coming in but you won't be able to afford it once it gets more developed. What are you waiting for if you are looking for a lake place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 01:51 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
The whole area has had a phenominal amount of rain since mid to late August. We have had very little good weather and yes everything is rain swollen and soggy. I have never seen so much rain this time of year! Said we set a record for the month of October with something like 15 to 20 inches rain for the month.

This higher water is working to Toledo's advantage which I'm glad to see. Unfortuanately it has caused a lot of flooding problems up here in S'port-Bossier; esp. Bossier. But I'm glad something positive has come out of it.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:25 PM

5 posts, read 20,075 times
Hey Guys,
I just bought a lot on the LA south end near Shadows Landing in a new subdivision named South Point. It is really nice with great views of Bayou Negreet and is on deep water.

So Kurt, how are you seeing the property values holding up and the amount of waterfront property moving? I sure hope it increases for us....not that I plan on selling....I plan to retire there watching sunsets from a pontoon boat and fishing all day.

I just joined the forum and hope to I can keep in touch with what is going on around the lake since I do not live there yet, so please keep me in the loop on what is happening all around 'T-Bend'

Take care and keep in touch.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:44 PM

Smile Keeping in touch/Waterfront values.

Good to know a near neighbor-to-be. I actually live in Pensacola and have not retired there, yet. I visit at Christmas and for about 5 weeks in the Summer.

I would not worry about value if it is lakeshore with a good view and access to the lake. Do you need or have a seawall?

I am going out there on Dec. 20 for about 12 days and will stay in my cabin. Will also go up to Converse area as I have land there.

Will keep in touch. Must meet when we both become permanent residents.

I am all about the lake. All my activities revolve around it. Also go over to Rayburn, but that lake has too many restrictions on it for my taste as far as building and lake access.

God Bless, Kurt.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:04 AM

Guys - I hope we can stay in touch and as we are spending more time on the lake we can meet and get out on the lake for some fishing or just cruising around. With all the standing timber in the lake, I sure would like someone to show me around before I get out there by myself.

I am familiar with Pensacola. I grew up in Birmingham, AL and spent a lot of time on the gulf coast. I live now in Guanajuato, Mexico and travel most weeks up to the US to do software consulting work. By the way, that reminds me, do you know if there is a high speed internet connection available at the lake?

My lot has 100' of waterfrontage and does not need a sea wall. In fact, I actually have about 15' of beach from my lot to the water's edge. I have not see it myself with a depth finder, but I'm told only about 30 feet out from shore the water depth is over 30' deep. Here is a link to the subdivision where I bought. South Point Subdivision on Toledo Bend Lake - South Point Cove - Light House Point - South Shore - Excalibur Point

I hope to get over there for a couple of days in December. I have a consulting job going on in Houston and will probably stay over for a weekend and go and check on the lot. I stay in Natchitoches when I go - I think that is the best and closest place, but I must check out Center, TX that you have written about on here.

So what are the restrictions that aren't so good on Rayburn?

Well, stay in touch and God Bless,
Mark

Old 11-12-2009, 02:39 PM

Thumbs up Rayburn restrictions/Nice lake lot!

Mark: Yeah, we will have to get together. Your setup at South Pointe sounds great. Even a beach on the leaseback. I would really like to see it. Rayburn is a Corps of Engineers lake unlike Toledo Bend which is a River Authority Lake. Docks, piers, boathouses are not permitted on much of Rayburn with the Corps actually owning the land between the take line and the lake itself. You have to get permission to cut trees and even brush that may be obstructing your view.

You also have a massive setback restriction on anything you build on the lake. Don't hold your breath as they may not let you do it. I have written on these restrictions on Rayburn and other Corps lakes in my postings on Grand Lake, Oklahoma.

Many people have been disappointed in buying land only to be saddled with all the restrictions. Toledo Bend has a 25 foot setback on permanent dwellings that are liveable with plumbing facilities. But alot is negotiable with the River Authority if you ask as the leaseback may factor in. You can build docks, piers, boathouses and other outbuildings even over the lake itself. In Louisiana you "own" the leaseback fee simple. In Texas you are charged a yearly fee. Full pool on T-Bend is 172: Anything below that elevation is leaseback. I am sure your beach is leaseback unless it is not flooded at full pool. T-Bend is supposed to be kept at 168 unless there is a drought or flood.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:36 AM

Hey Guys,
I've not posted in a while, since work has had me pretty busy, but I'm off for a few days and thought I would touch base.

Kurt, thanks for updating me on Rayburn. I've heard about Corps lakes and all the nightmares about the restrictions and that you can't even cut down a shrub. Glad we are at Toledo Bend instead.

I checked the lake level this morning and it looks like it is finally getting back down to around 172. I've been surprised that they have kept it above 172 for so long. I thought they would have pulled it down quicker and sold a lot of power, but maybe there is not a market for it right now.

I'm going to be at the lake for a couple of days after Thanksgiving. I need to check on my lot and make sure the guys I hired have seeded it. The lot has a pretty good slope and I'm sure all the rain run-off washed it out farily bad since it is cleared but not much ground cover. I also am going to look into having someone do some landscaping on the lot to channel the rain run-off into a culvert and keep the gentle slope I have near the water...I don't want it to get totally washed out and I have to build a sea wall. So if you guys know of any good landscapers over there, please let me know.

Well need to go for now, but hope to hear from you guys soon. God Bless and have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Mark

Old 07-10-2010, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,897 times
Default sea wall or not

mp010860, i just read your post. I too have a lake front lot in south pointe on toledo bend. I'm wondering about the sea wall. There is a grassy beach on my lease back but it abruptly runs into a 5-6 ft cliff that has obvious erosion. Don't you think a sea wall holding this cliff back would be good??

I'm new to lakefront property and am struggling with what to do about the sea wall. I've even considered terracing down to the beach front.

any comments welcome.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:55 PM

Default Seawall?

Howdy SproFrog! Hmmmm--5-6 feet doesn't sound like too much to deal with. I would be inclined to just get a dozer and have a gentle incline to the lake. That should do the trick. But you have to get permission from the SRA office near Pendleton Bridge first. Drop in there and see if they will come out to your lot and give you their opinion. But I think a seawall might be a needless expense. Once you do the grading you might plant some torpedo grass or some other type of vegetation that is resistant to erosion. A gentle slope to the lake is generally enough to prevent undercutting and further erosion. Keep in touch. When ya going to build on it?

Kurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana