Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 06:03 PM

544 posts, read 1,472,178 times

Advertisements

I am curious to know since I went to Portland and fell in love with it, BUT I keep hearing that the economy is horrible in Portland and how in Louisville, its better + the housing and rent is cheaper in Louisville than it is in Portland.
It sure seems like Louisville pays off in that way.

I have to ask though, is Louisvilles weather real sticky and humid if it isnt winter?

My situation is the Portland climate is best fit for me, but Louisville seems better to explore as far as the economical situation goes.
I'm sure someone can answer me.
Politically, how does Louisville lean as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 07:43 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltinjohn View Post
I am curious to know since I went to Portland and fell in love with it, BUT I keep hearing that the economy is horrible in Portland and how in Louisville, its better + the housing and rent is cheaper in Louisville than it is in Portland.
It sure seems like Louisville pays off in that way.

I have to ask though, is Louisvilles weather real sticky and humid if it isnt winter?

My situation is the Portland climate is best fit for me, but Louisville seems better to explore as far as the economical situation goes.
I'm sure someone can answer me.
I may be overstepping my bounds since i'm not an actual resident of the Ville yet but here's my 2 cents.

A good climate is great, but what good is it if you cant pay your rent or are going to be standing in the unemployment office all day everyday? You can always wear light clothes or put on a coat to deal with climate but if you can find a quality job in Louisville easier than Portland then so be it.

As far as political leaning, I hear that Louisville is more liberal than the rest of Kentucky (we are talking in comparison to KENTUCKY). They were a major contributor in outing Republican governor Ernie Fletcher in the last governor election in KY.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:47 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,989,341 times
i have been doing that with austin and louisville. what i do is base my starting salary in each area with taxes, cost of living, gas, and bills etc and then figure out what my disposable income is in each place. it takes time, but it is worth it.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:51 AM

844 posts, read 2,101,984 times
Poor Portland! They are too lopsided politically... extreme liberal thinking isn't the best idea when it comes to paying the bills. Major unemployment. But if you enjoy the hippie lifestyle, then Portland is definitely the place to be. I have a cousin there who smokes weed all day and loves that crowd. The weather is depressing but if you're high then who cares.

Louisville is at least a better balance of things. Just enough conservatives to keep jobs around and the city clean. But yes it does get really f-ing hot & sticky in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
They were a major contributor in outing Republican governor Ernie Fletcher in the last governor election in KY.
Yeah... look where that got us

Old 08-27-2009, 05:46 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,454,392 times
Quote:
Jefferson County leans Democratic, though the GOP is quite comeptetive, and always has been. What seperates Louisville from nearby metros like Indianapolis and Dayton and Cincinnati is that there is a substantial Democratic voting bloc in suburban areas as well as in the old city, which elects metro council members and state representatives. Democrat does not necessarily mean liberal, though Louisville, parts of it, is fairly liberal compared to the rest of region.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I may be overstepping my bounds since i'm not an actual resident of the Ville yet but here's my 2 cents.

A good climate is great, but what good is it if you cant pay your rent or are going to be standing in the unemployment office all day everyday? You can always wear light clothes or put on a coat to deal with climate but if you can find a quality job in Louisville easier than Portland then so be it.

As far as political leaning, I hear that Louisville is more liberal than the rest of Kentucky (we are talking in comparison to KENTUCKY). They were a major contributor in outing Republican governor Ernie Fletcher in the last governor election in KY.

I was thinking that same thing kinda about the right climate, but the jobs being so poor that I might have to consider somewhere else. + COL is high in Oregon considering what their economy is.

You wouldn't at all think anywhere in KY is a hip place and is all republican and non liberal everywhere. Growing up ,all you hear is how its all totally backwards, but funny how as years go on, you realize it can be like that an hr north of NYC or Boston haha.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post
Poor Portland! They are too lopsided politically... extreme liberal thinking isn't the best idea when it comes to paying the bills. Major unemployment. But if you enjoy the hippie lifestyle, then Portland is definitely the place to be. I have a cousin there who smokes weed all day and loves that crowd. The weather is depressing but if you're high then who cares.

Louisville is at least a better balance of things. Just enough conservatives to keep jobs around and the city clean. But yes it does get really f-ing hot & sticky in the summer.

Yeah... look where that got us

Portland from what I saw seemed more libertarian than anything. I didn't see the heavy left wingers (in my presence anyhow, maybe I was lucky lol). I seen them from a distance, but the people talking to me were not really left wing wackos unless a few were, but were more intelligent about it rather than the angry radical left wingers.

I was just gonna say man, Louisville seems like the right balance as far as liberal left, but just enough conservatives to KEEP JOBS AROUND. I thought of this a lot that Louisville could be that type of city and thats what made me sorta consider it or at least look into it on the internet.

The summers in Louisville Im guessing are like Texas or FL, but the rest of the year is like New England weather with mild winters or something.
The summers seem to be the worst season there from what I gather.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:15 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
Okay guys, having lived in alot of places, spent alot of time in Louisville, and currently living in the PacNW (not Portland but close enough), "liberal" in Louisville is NOT the same thing as "liberal" in Portland, or Olympia, or Seattle.

And this PacNW rain sucks. Yea, the mountains and trees are pretty when you can see them. Unfortunately, three quarters of the year the mountains are obscured by low-laying stratus clouds and the constant misty rain. I'd pick Louisville anyday, but, I've been stuck in PacNW hell for 4 years, so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

But....I'll be making my annual autumn trip to Louisville to attend the St James Court Art Show YAY!

Old 09-01-2009, 05:46 PM

36 posts, read 201,997 times
Louisville's liberals will still sit and drink a beer with you. They're not the snotty types that you get in some places. Liberal here is more like being a Blue Dog Democrat. You will find a few liberal hippies in the Highlands and those areas around the outer core area. Overall, the liberals here are mostly blue collar unionists, hipsters, and the youth. The older people tend to be more conservative although there are some old style 60s types around. The big problem in this city is the corruption of the political class is holding it back in being a great city. Not to mention that 22 of 34 schools in Louisville ended up being near the bottom of the barrel even for KY. Lets just say that Jefferson County Public Schools finished 118th of 154 school systems in KY. Not good at all. Which is why Louisville can't attract higher wage jobs in technical and professional services. Because the crummy schools keep the kids dumb and therefore working here in retail, food services, box flipping, etc.

If you're looking for the authentic liberal experience you have to go to SF, Seattle, NYC, Chicago, etc. Smaller cities in the USA hardly qualify including Louisville, Cincy or Indianapolis. Unemployment here is currently 11 percent which is the effect of the USA economy plus the factor that the local economy doesn't really produce good jobs. This city is 82nd in median household income of all top 100 cities. 70s in job creation. So it is what it is. I'm personally looking to leave in the next few months depending on the economy but as for me, I would rather explore other areas of this region.

You'll find the job market here to be marginal at best. Too many small businesses and mom and pops to really have a good job market. Not enough corporates and decent business opportunities here. If your idea of working is to make 10 to 15 an hour, this place fits the bill. Anything more for most people is out of reach. These days making 12 to 15 an hour isn't enough to pay the bills for one person much less two or more. Which is what is holding Louisville back, a lack of paying jobs that would stimulate the local economy. It was hard finding jobs here prior to the economic slide of 2007 to now. Even with a college degree.

So be careful what you are doing because you may end up here and out of work. Its not the optimal city for business especially with its high business taxes and high state taxes on a lot of things. Indiana generally has much lower taxes and a business environment much better than here. Its just better up in Indianapolis plus you have two pro sports teams serving a urban area of 1.5 million. Here there are none. Corporate headquarters are more prevalent in Indy or Cincy than here. You might want to consider that currently their unemployment rates in both those cities are 2 and 3 percent lower. Those with college will have even lower rates.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:26 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelsmiley75 View Post
Louisville's liberals will still sit and drink a beer with you. They're not the snotty types that you get in some places. Liberal here is more like being a Blue Dog Democrat. You will find a few liberal hippies in the Highlands and those areas around the outer core area. Overall, the liberals here are mostly blue collar unionists, hipsters, and the youth. The older people tend to be more conservative although there are some old style 60s types around. The big problem in this city is the corruption of the political class is holding it back in being a great city. Not to mention that 22 of 34 schools in Louisville ended up being near the bottom of the barrel even for KY. Lets just say that Jefferson County Public Schools finished 118th of 154 school systems in KY. Not good at all. Which is why Louisville can't attract higher wage jobs in technical and professional services. Because the crummy schools keep the kids dumb and therefore working here in retail, food services, box flipping, etc.

If you're looking for the authentic liberal experience you have to go to SF, Seattle, NYC, Chicago, etc. Smaller cities in the USA hardly qualify including Louisville, Cincy or Indianapolis. Unemployment here is currently 11 percent which is the effect of the USA economy plus the factor that the local economy doesn't really produce good jobs. This city is 82nd in median household income of all top 100 cities. 70s in job creation. So it is what it is. I'm personally looking to leave in the next few months depending on the economy but as for me, I would rather explore other areas of this region.

You'll find the job market here to be marginal at best. Too many small businesses and mom and pops to really have a good job market. Not enough corporates and decent business opportunities here. If your idea of working is to make 10 to 15 an hour, this place fits the bill. Anything more for most people is out of reach. These days making 12 to 15 an hour isn't enough to pay the bills for one person much less two or more. Which is what is holding Louisville back, a lack of paying jobs that would stimulate the local economy. It was hard finding jobs here prior to the economic slide of 2007 to now. Even with a college degree.

So be careful what you are doing because you may end up here and out of work. Its not the optimal city for business especially with its high business taxes and high state taxes on a lot of things. Indiana generally has much lower taxes and a business environment much better than here. Its just better up in Indianapolis plus you have two pro sports teams serving a urban area of 1.5 million. Here there are none. Corporate headquarters are more prevalent in Indy or Cincy than here. You might want to consider that currently their unemployment rates in both those cities are 2 and 3 percent lower. Those with college will have even lower rates.
Yes, I'm well aware of the pay issue in Louisville. The lower cost of living does not justify the low wages though. I'd have to take a 50% cut and I'm not down with that, so I just choose to visit every autumn and enjoy it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area