Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 07:49 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Missymom - that link goes to a different story - funny because when you click the link, the caption reads something about local gas overpriced, but when the video plays it is about something else.
I'm sorry! I looked for a link to an article and couldn't find one but all I could find was the video.

As far as the rest Mathguy I never intended on hurting anyone's feelings and I am sorry that I did. I have NEVER blamed the gas station owners. I do tend to think not so kindly of the oil company high-ups. Maybe I'll rethink though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 11:59 AM

32 posts, read 56,005 times
Default High Gas In Louisville

Gas is way too high in Louisville (for that matter in all of Kentucky). I went to New Jersey last month and when I left Kentucky the prices were $2.89 a gal. In New Jersey the average price was $2.43 to $2.51. I can not for any reason see why Kentucky charges so much for gas other then greed. All the gas owners are thiefs and are taking advantage of the situation.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:01 PM

78,327 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Ok, I want to play too.....

Milk should be free, after all the cows are not paid for the milk so the farmers get it for free and then rip us off by charging like $3 a gallon.

roflmao.

P.S. Chocolate milk comes from the brown cows.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckyyank View Post
Gas is way too high in Honolulu (for that matter in all of Hawaii). I went to Kentucky last month and when I left Hawaii the prices were $3.29 a gal. In Kentucky the average price was $2.83 to $2.81. I can not for any reason see why Hawaii charges so much for gas other then greed. All the gas owners are thiefs and are taking advantage of the situation.
I updatered yours quoters...

Old 10-22-2007, 02:00 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,156,010 times
That surprises me, since just a few week ago while in both Lexington and Florence gas prices were about 2.65 per gal, compared to my 3.20 gas price in where I live here in Ca. So like they said it is all in overhead cost and maybe some greed along with that.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:04 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,156,010 times
Forgot to comment about that Hawaii gas cost. I do believe that Hawaii like any Island state/country pays quite a bit more that mainland USA for fuel just because of the cost of getting it to them. If Hawaii's price is only marginally over CA, sounds like a deal to me. Anybody who has been to the United Kingdom would notice that they pay a lot more than mainland Europe for fuel [plus they tax it heavily too, but so do several european countries]. Maybe it's time to dump those Hummer's for a a Hybrid? Hah. You have to pay to play!

Old 10-22-2007, 03:26 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Dunn View Post
That surprises me, since just a few week ago while in both Lexington and Florence gas prices were about 2.65 per gal, compared to my 3.20 gas price in where I live here in Ca. So like they said it is all in overhead cost and maybe some greed along with that.
Louisville generally has more expensive gas than the rest of KY, being a larger urban area. Also urban parts of the city and certain areas have much higher gas, like any major metro. As you can see, there is often a 30 cent discrepancy in prices across the metro. As a general rull, working class areas on the south side are cheaper:

www.louisvillegasprices.com

use the mapper to compare prices in different cities and graph it!

Old 10-22-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Dunn View Post
California has higher taxes and also has some additional environmental requirements.

Additionally, land costs a lot more in CA. So, if you have to spend 900k for the gas station's land in CA and 500k in Lexington and 100k in rural areas....you'll need to charge more for your products to get back your "investment".

I've heard Hawaii's gas is only something like 5 cents a gallon higher for the cost of import but they have the highest taxes of any state....and land there is hugely expensive impacting prices as described above.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,404 times
Are you guys really surprised by the cost of rising gas prices?

Gas is going up in price and will continue to go up because oil is becoming more and more scarce. Last year oil was about $60 a barrel. It is now nearing $90 a barrel (and rising steadily) because oil is a finite resource and is running out, as we have always known it would.

The thing is, the cost of oil SHOULD be going UP, to reflect its scarcity. This is a hard thing to swallow maybe but it is a common sense ecological equation. When something becomes precious, bc it is hard to find, its price goes up. It is worth more bc there is less of it. So, as crazy as it sounds, we should actually be paying more for gas, to reflect how rare it is becoming, and how much it is costing us to bring it over from the Middle East.

The GREED is there, no doubt, I agree with you, but maybe it is important to recognize that we are all a part of that greed, as we buy into bigger, faster cars, bigger more beautiful houses, bigger, greener lawns, and totally disposable everything.

At the risk of sounding obvious, we might do well to consider the importance of conservation in every household. Can we walk more, ride bikes or sometimes use public transportation? I'm not sure we realize that half of the "disposable" products we use on a daily basis, and throw away, are actually petroleum based products? As long as we continue to by into the disposable culture, we are a huge part of the problem, even if we don't realize it.

There are many young families in many cities around the US that are starting to demand that their cities become more bicycle-friendly, more kid-friendly, with better public transportation, schools and food choices. People are bringing their own reusable bags to grocery, collecting their rainwater, planting their yards with native plants that don't require as much water as grass does and which actually improve the soil without need for harmful chemicals, and are making an effort to make small changes to preserve our fragile environment.

Gas prices are going up because they HAVE to. Please be aware that every little thing we each do really does make a difference, and be encouraged!
Every time you unplug your computer, ride your bike or take the bus, turn off the water when brushing your teeth, let your car go without a wash, change your lightbulbs to Compact Flourescents or LED's, collect rainwater to water your lawn, dry your clothes on a line, use your own bag at the grocery-- these things matter, and if we all did them, we would be saving oil.

But that won't change the fact that oil is running out. Personally, I can't wait till gas prices go up so high that people start demanding cars with better gas mileage or just not driving at all. Our kids need a chance to breathe clean air again.

p.s. Here is a link that gives an idea of the kinds of chemicals that our children have in their little systems, even though big companies would like us to believe that the chemicals - in toys, in plastics, in pollution, in food - are inert and harmless. We need to know that all this stuff is connected, and that we are affected in more ways than we can imagine. Tests reveal high chemical levels in kids' bodies - CNN.com

good Luck, everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: