Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 12:13 AM

18 posts, read 21,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
if you have bad allergies, this is NOT a good place for you. Louisville is one of the worst cities in the allergy catergory.
oh allergies....ok I've got 'em something fierce. But I'm allergic to weird things like pine trees...

the PNW has not been my friend for allergies but I grew up in ND and I can take cotton woods and ragweed and all sorts of midwestern plants without a sniffle.

So what we talking; mold? specific flora?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 08:13 PM

970 posts, read 1,873,355 times
In all honesty, GSV, I don't think Louisville is going to be the place for you. I think EE laid it out pretty well......(along with his usual input / disregard for LouKy.)

COL is OK, but I always asked, "What am I getting in return?" Not so great...............

As much as has been made of LouKy being a "foodie" town...........it's not. It IS better than it was for decades, but that's not saying a whole lot.

Lastly, you will always find "hillbillies" wherever you go, but my ill-informed opinion (due to the fact I haven't been there) of Portland, is that it is filled with major druggies / addicts with needles hanging out of their arms. Which is worse?

Old 03-23-2012, 08:59 PM

Well it's all what you're used to isn't it? Portland is a very mellow almost hippie community. It's the biggest small town you'll ever go. There's a plethora of food and art an overall its a very youthful community. In fact my main complaint about Portland is it's lack of motivation in people my age along with the endless numbers of travelers and homeless that beg on street corners. It is, however, nothing like Vancouver BC where I actually did witness heroin used very openly on the street and alarming numbers of methadone clinics.

As for if I'd be suited to living in a particular place such as Louisville....I grew up in a place that goes from -40 degree wind chills in the winter with 10 feet of snow to 110 in the summer a UV index that would take your skin from rare to extra crispy in 15 minutes or less. A red state through and through along with open racism and generalized closed mindedness. And tornadoes, been through 3 that did some rearranging of my possessions. And lets not forget the average wind gust is around 20mph...everyday. All that being said, I didn't mind it...it's just weather after all, and there's no stopping people from being what they're gonna be, is there?

I didn't come to this forum looking for anyone else to tell me if they thought a place was just the right fit for me but rather so that people who actually live in a specified area could share their insights, observations, personal experiences, etc. on that specified area.

So, NO, if you have an actual experiences with the town I'd be just pleased as punch if you'd share those.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:33 PM

Well, I think we ALL are trying to tell you our "experiences" with the "town." Maybe you just aren't "listenin'?"

Really, you just have to go there for about 4 days or so and check it out for yourself. (Not during Derby.)

Old 03-24-2012, 12:09 AM

i'll be visiting the location prior to moving but i'm currently at a research stage, thus the forum post as opposed to spending $450 on airfare + room and board + transportation + lost wages = $2000 give or take. I'm sure most people can see why we're not all jetting around willy nilly. it's also fairly easy to miss things when you're visiting so it's good to hear specific things to watch for instead of generalized opinions which can appear uneducated and may not apply to everyone; i.e. it's not a foodie town vs. there are a lot of different places to eat but they tend to have the same basic pork based menu with little variety...just as an example, not saying that's an accurate statement. and whereas one person would say, "eww pork!", another person might say, "heaven!"

other than that, I'm really appreciating the feedback from everyone else. lots of well rounded replies with helpful insights and food for thought.

so far nothing a person couldn't live with, although the accounts of horrific drivers and extreme allergens are a bit concerning. I've been in contact with a few bakeries in the area and i'm still weighing out the COL/wage variant. The price of gas there is a bit higher that where I am and the public transit is presumably less developed as a result of the population being smaller...so that's something to consider. but the info about the best areas to live and work was excellent additional input that I was fully expecting to search past threads for. Thanks for the guidance and really going above and beyond my initial inquiry.

one thing I have noticed is that everyone is very focused on telling me that it isn't hillbilly/redneck which was really only the extreme contrast to the other side of the spectrum that I presented but not really addressing what the city's style is. I've noticed that cities tend to have a style, I find it interesting to hear from locals on their views of the average 25-35yo. Although, admittedly, the comment about Deliverance was something my mother mentioned (and she has been to Louisville) albeit she was there for an organic farming trade show and so I made the (seemingly correct) assumption that the average resident of Louisville was not in attendance. The horror in her voice when she heard I was considering moving there was pretty amusing though.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsayvoid View Post
i'll be visiting the location prior to moving but i'm currently at a research stage, thus the forum post as opposed to spending $450 on airfare + room and board + transportation + lost wages = $2000 give or take. I'm sure most people can see why we're not all jetting around willy nilly. It's also fairly easy to miss things when you're visiting so it's good to hear specific things to watch for instead of generalized opinions which can appear uneducated and may not apply to everyone; i.e. It's not a foodie town vs. There are a lot of different places to eat but they tend to have the same basic pork based menu with little variety...just as an example, not saying that's an accurate statement. And whereas one person would say, "eww pork!", another person might say, "heaven!"

other than that, i'm really appreciating the feedback from everyone else. Lots of well rounded replies with helpful insights and food for thought.

So far nothing a person couldn't live with, although the accounts of horrific drivers and extreme allergens are a bit concerning. I've been in contact with a few bakeries in the area and i'm still weighing out the col/wage variant. The price of gas there is a bit higher that where i am and the public transit is presumably less developed as a result of the population being smaller...so that's something to consider. But the info about the best areas to live and work was excellent additional input that i was fully expecting to search past threads for. Thanks for the guidance and really going above and beyond my initial inquiry.

One thing i have noticed is that everyone is very focused on telling me that it isn't hillbilly/redneck which was really only the extreme contrast to the other side of the spectrum that i presented but not really addressing what the city's style is. I've noticed that cities tend to have a style, i find it interesting to hear from locals on their views of the average 25-35yo. Although, admittedly, the comment about deliverance was something my mother mentioned (and she has been to louisville) albeit she was there for an organic farming trade show and so i made the (seemingly correct) assumption that the average resident of louisville was not in attendance. The horror in her voice when she heard i was considering moving there was pretty amusing though.
not really ever going to get it !

Old 03-24-2012, 12:38 AM

Blew up!

Old 03-24-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
i'll be visiting the location prior to moving but i'm currently at a research stage, thus the forum post as opposed to spending $450 on airfare + room and board + transportation + lost wages = $2000 give or take. I'm sure most people can see why we're not all jetting around willy nilly. it's also fairly easy to miss things when you're visiting so it's good to hear specific things to watch for instead of generalized opinions which can appear uneducated and may not apply to everyone; i.e. it's not a foodie town vs. there are a lot of different places to eat but they tend to have the same basic pork based menu with little variety...just as an example, not saying that's an accurate statement. and whereas one person would say, "eww pork!", another person might say, "heaven!"

other than that, I'm really appreciating the feedback from everyone else. lots of well rounded replies with helpful insights and food for thought.

so far nothing a person couldn't live with, although the accounts of horrific drivers and extreme allergens are a bit concerning. I've been in contact with a few bakeries in the area and i'm still weighing out the COL/wage variant. The price of gas there is a bit higher that where I am and the public transit is presumably less developed as a result of the population being smaller...so that's something to consider. but the info about the best areas to live and work was excellent additional input that I was fully expecting to search past threads for. Thanks for the guidance and really going above and beyond my initial inquiry.

one thing I have noticed is that everyone is very focused on telling me that it isn't hillbilly/redneck which was really only the extreme contrast to the other side of the spectrum that I presented but not really addressing what the city's style is. I've noticed that cities tend to have a style, I find it interesting to hear from locals on their views of the average 25-35yo. Although, admittedly, the comment about Deliverance was something my mother mentioned (and she has been to Louisville) albeit she was there for an organic farming trade show and so I made the (seemingly correct) assumption that the average resident of Louisville was not in attendance. The horror in her voice when she heard I was considering moving there was pretty amusing though.
Horribly slimey and surely there will will will be "thoughts" about this!!!

Old 03-24-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:

got it................thanks, Mary!

Old 03-24-2012, 01:41 AM

And we're all going to report this .......right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area