Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 05:24 PM

6 posts, read 9,873 times

Advertisements

Hi-

We are seriously considering a relocation to Louisville. We are a young family of four (30 years old with a 3 year old and a 1 year old). We currently live in Northern Virginia, so we are looking for a more affordable quality of life. We love the opportunities available to us now, but are looking for a lower cost of living. We are looking for suggestions on where to live...

-Where you are working: my husband will be working at the airport, I am currently a stay at home mom

-How much you are willing to spend on housing: we would like to stay around $400k, but could go as high as $450k. We would like 4-5 bedrooms, a newer home, with a decent size lot (at least 1/3 acre)

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: about 30 minutes... Although, my husband won't be working regular hours, so he wouldn't necessarily always be commuting during rush hour

-If you have kids: Private school or public school? good schools are really important to us. We would like to be in the district for the best public schools, but are open to private school options. We would like to be able to make a choice when our kids are school-age... We don't want to be "forced" into private schooling. It would also be nice to be convenient to good preschool options, since we still have a little while before they are both in elementary school

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? we are suburbia people. We like the idea of a neighborhood that is safe for the kids to ride bikes in, a community pool would be nice (but not necessary), convenient to shopping, but doesn't have to be right next door/walkable. We would like to be in an area with other young families, as we are hoping that would be a good way to meet people

-Community amenities important to you: convenient to family friendly activities, extra-curricular activities for the kids

-Pie or cake? I would say cake, my husband would say pie.

I should also add that I grew up in Lexington and I have some family that now lives in Louisville... But I'm not very familiar with the city ad definitely not familiar with the suburbs. My husband is from NY, but we have been living in Northern Virginia for 7 years.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 05:39 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAa&r View Post
Hi-

We are seriously considering a relocation to Louisville. We are a young family of four (30 years old with a 3 year old and a 1 year old). We currently live in Northern Virginia, so we are looking for a more affordable quality of life. We love the opportunities available to us now, but are looking for a lower cost of living. We are looking for suggestions on where to live...

-Where you are working: my husband will be working at the airport, I am currently a stay at home mom

-How much you are willing to spend on housing: we would like to stay around $400k, but could go as high as $450k. We would like 4-5 bedrooms, a newer home, with a decent size lot (at least 1/3 acre)

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: about 30 minutes... Although, my husband won't be working regular hours, so he wouldn't necessarily always be commuting during rush hour

-If you have kids: Private school or public school? good schools are really important to us. We would like to be in the district for the best public schools, but are open to private school options. We would like to be able to make a choice when our kids are school-age... We don't want to be "forced" into private schooling. It would also be nice to be convenient to good preschool options, since we still have a little while before they are both in elementary school

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? we are suburbia people. We like the idea of a neighborhood that is safe for the kids to ride bikes in, a community pool would be nice (but not necessary), convenient to shopping, but doesn't have to be right next door/walkable. We would like to be in an area with other young families, as we are hoping that would be a good way to meet people

-Community amenities important to you: convenient to family friendly activities, extra-curricular activities for the kids

I should also add that I grew up in Lexington and I have some family that now lives in Louisville... But I'm not very familiar with the city ad definitely not familiar with the suburbs. My husband is from NY, but we have been living in Northern Virginia for 7 years.

Thanks in advance!
If public education is important, then you will need to be in one of two places. Oldham County or Southern Indiana.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:52 AM

Thank you so much! If we wanted to be dedicated to private schools, are there any areas within Jefferson County that match our wishes?

Thanks again.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:32 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
Quote:
Thank you so much! If we wanted to be dedicated to private schools, are there any areas within Jefferson County that match our wishes?

Thanks again.
Yes, you can do well in Prospect, especially Glen Oaks or Norton Commons. You will do well in the Highlands, or certain parts of the 40207 zip code. Lots of nice opportunities in 40245, too.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:54 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Hi-

Thanks in advance!
Given your criteria, I do agree with Prospect. However, the best home equity builds in the Highlands, the lower St Matthews, and Crescent Hill.

The Highlands has a great and fairly exclusive (ie someone has to refer you) local swim club in a very large old rock quarry called Lakeside
Lakeside | Welcome to Lakeside!

However, to find a newer home or a lot to build on in the Highlands is nothing short of a heroic feat. You also will not find homes on 1/3 acre, and if you do, you are talking about million dollar historic estate homes near Cherokee Park and Seneca Park.

Prospect is a newish suburb, but it is also very well located to Louisville's more refined urban areas and it has a decent amount of retail both in town and nearby. It is there that you will be able to find a newer home that will still appreciate well. All of Louisville's east, northeast, and southeast suburbs are growing rather briskly, so be careful not to get stuck in a new home, far out, that has nothing unique about it. It could be tough to sell in 5 years if you had to.

That said, in the far east suburbs, the city is constructing what they are calling the "Pearl Necklace." It will be a 100 mile string of parks encompassing the city of Louisville. The first phase, the Parklands of Floyd Forks has opened. If you know anything about historical city development (as I do ) you can rest assured that areas close to this park will be very prestigious for the next century to come, just as the areas built a century ago near Cherokee Park are so prestigious today.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:24 AM

Thank you very much for all your replies and suggestions!!

Old 05-28-2013, 06:51 AM

We would like to be closer to family. We don't have any family that lives near us now. We have also been hoping for a place with a lower cost of living.

Why do you say we should stay put? What do you dislike about Louisville?

Old 05-28-2013, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,803 times
If people are only allowed to say the best most positive thing ever, then YES Move There Somewhere, but of course you have children to think of................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area