Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 08:35 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,478 times

Advertisements

I forgot about New Albany, but i'd stay away from downtown New Albany, it's getting worse every year. Charlestown Rd. is a nice area with plenty around.Floyds Knobs is also a great place, my parents live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 01:17 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
I forgot about New Albany, but i'd stay away from downtown New Albany, it's getting worse every year. Charlestown Rd. is a nice area with plenty around.Floyds Knobs is also a great place, my parents live there.
Huh? No way? Getting worse? Have you seen that a new restaurant opens in dt NA at least once a month?

Old 09-19-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Huh? No way? Getting worse? Have you seen that a new restaurant opens in dt NA at least once a month?
In living terms, downtown New Albany is getting worse. There is now ghetto and nice parts anymore. The "west side" used to be the area to avoid by Scribner, now anywhere is bad. You still have a couple nice streets with people that actually keep up their homes but for the most part it's getting rundown. How do you not agree?

The restaurant scene is decent, I eat at Wicks all the time, but the living scene, is def.going down. Anywhere near Rallys/Walgreens is terrible, especially Culbertson Ave, Elm Street, Etc...

Old 09-19-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
In living terms, downtown New Albany is getting worse. There is now ghetto and nice parts anymore. The "west side" used to be the area to avoid by Scribner, now anywhere is bad. You still have a couple nice streets with people that actually keep up their homes but for the most part it's getting rundown. How do you not agree?

The restaurant scene is decent, I eat at Wicks all the time, but the living scene, is def.going down. Anywhere near Rallys/Walgreens is terrible, especially Culbertson Ave, Elm Street, Etc...
Greg, this seems to be anecdotal because the area looks beautiful; I was just there and nearly every downtown building has been restored and has ground level retail/restaurants. In fact I would go so far to say that New Albany has one of the best little downtowns in the state of Indiana.

Do you have any hard data to back up your claims? Crime stats?

Old 09-19-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Greg, this seems to be anecdotal because the area looks beautiful; I was just there and nearly every downtown building has been restored and has ground level retail/restaurants. In fact I would go so far to say that New Albany has one of the best little downtowns in the state of Indiana.

Do you have any hard data to back up your claims? Crime stats?

I enjoy Downtown New Albany, just wouldn't live there.

As far as crime rate, yesthe stats don't lie. Violent Crime is just below Natuonal Avg, Rape Crimes are a ton higher than the National Avg, Property Crimes are a ton higher than the National Avg, Burglaries and Thefts are also a ton higher than the National Avg.

Unfortunately as I said, it's not that great of a place to live. Look at the stats yourself.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:21 AM

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...y-Indiana.html

Old 09-19-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
City-data, unfortunately, while great for forums, has terribly inaccurate data in many other regards. I will look later at FBI statistics to see if I can find any data. That said, the map you posted shows New Albany actually has an average amount of crime, especially in downtown. The red area on the map is western Clarksville, and the crime is mostly related to a very large and growing immigrant population in that area. It is by no means dangerous, unless your frame of reference is say, rural KY. As a suburb of a major metropolitan city, New Albany is very safe, and that map shows an average amount of crime you will find anywhere.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:28 PM

Go to downtown Nee Albany around nightfall, around the Rallys/Walgreens area. Culbertson Ave, around there and tell me if you feel safe. I lived on Culbertson Ave for a short time while in College because it was cheap. I know the kind of people around that area, and would personally like to live there never again. I've seen numerous break ins, etc...

Old 09-19-2013, 04:12 PM

797 posts, read 2,338,424 times
Clarksville is my least favorite of the three. It never really seemed to have much of an identity to me other than the mall area and Falls of the Ohio State Park. Jeffersonville has more of a downtown area and some interesting things going on with the improvements in park areas along the riverfront, but feels more like an extension of Louisville with it sitting right across the river from downtown. New Albany feels a bit more like a separate small town that is near a larger city, but is definitely a very connected part of the metro. As far as schools go I would rate them NA>Jeff>Clarksville. I would never personally never gamble on which school my kids might get into in Louisville as it's not necessarily based on where you live, but there are good private options if you can afford them and it would be much better to not have to cross the I-65 bridge every day with all the nonsense construction happening on the bridges.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:40 PM

60 posts, read 296,993 times
Clarksville is not bad. You could hop on 65 south to go to U of L everyday. Not sure about the rents but they are probably cheaper than Louisville. New Albany is a little too redneck for me personally plus Clarksville has more stores and things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area