Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 04:47 PM

10 posts, read 13,958 times

Advertisements

Hi Louisville,
I am looking to make a big move possibly to your city while coming from the California coast and one of the most liberal cities in the nation. I am curious about Louisville because I am really wanting to end up and settle somewhere where I a can open a small business, own a home, possibly raise a kid and not lose my proverbial 'Life' over it. . California, and especially where we are, is extremely over-priced and it is just way to hustle bustle for us.
I guess ultimately what I am wanting to know is - is Louisville, being as progressive of a city it seems, progressive in other ways - I am a young gay adult man with a partner of 10 years. We are not the type of gay men who over use PDA's and feel the need to prove a point with our lifestyle, we are very comfortable and confident both in who we are. Neither of us are big partiers, need clubs, gay pride or really any amenities like that. We just know that we are humans and we are who we are.
We are what some would view as 'Alternative' being that we have tattoos and probably definitely reek of a California "style" (thought not an aire), but I am sure Louisville has folks like this as well. . ?
I am just not so familiar with the South. I have been through a couple times but never long enough to gauge what it would be like to live there. I don't want to sound like a fool but does Louisville have the same stigma that a lot of the South carries in its tolerance of others who have 'alternative' lifestyles?
I know that Louisville can be called the most Northern South or the most Southern North, but I am just overall curious and intrigued.
I know I will get recommendations to check out other cities like Asheville but from what I have read/heard is that some places like Asheville (smaller college towns) don't have a diverse economy and that finding a job there is hard. I want to start a successful business so I am looking for somewhere that is moving forward economically and Louisville sounds like it could be that. There are other things I am interested in as well, such as the general area. . Outdoor activities, nature, and what other amenities the State of Kentucky has to offer!
Just thought reaching out for a public opinion would be a great way to get an understanding of what appears to be a beautiful area!
Thanks Louisvillians ,
Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 08:07 PM

797 posts, read 2,339,383 times
Kentucky and southern Indiana are great for outdoor activities. Regarding being gay, there are certainly many parts of Kentucky where that could be an issue, but Louisville is a completely different story. You will be fine here. Especially inside the traditional old city limits. In addition to the Highlands, check out Butchertown, Crescent Hill, Clifton, Old Louisville, and downtown while you're here for sure. Downtown New Albany on the Indiana side also is having a bit of a renaissance and could be a great place to start a business depending on what it is.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:35 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,753,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianWS View Post
Hi Louisville,
I am looking to make a big move possibly to your city while coming from the California coast and one of the most liberal cities in the nation. I am curious about Louisville because I am really wanting to end up and settle somewhere where I a can open a small business, own a home, possibly raise a kid and not lose my proverbial 'Life' over it. . California, and especially where we are, is extremely over-priced and it is just way to hustle bustle for us.
I guess ultimately what I am wanting to know is - is Louisville, being as progressive of a city it seems, progressive in other ways - I am a young gay adult man with a partner of 10 years. We are not the type of gay men who over use PDA's and feel the need to prove a point with our lifestyle, we are very comfortable and confident both in who we are. Neither of us are big partiers, need clubs, gay pride or really any amenities like that. We just know that we are humans and we are who we are.
We are what some would view as 'Alternative' being that we have tattoos and probably definitely reek of a California "style" (thought not an aire), but I am sure Louisville has folks like this as well. . ?
I am just not so familiar with the South. I have been through a couple times but never long enough to gauge what it would be like to live there. I don't want to sound like a fool but does Louisville have the same stigma that a lot of the South carries in its tolerance of others who have 'alternative' lifestyles?
I know that Louisville can be called the most Northern South or the most Southern North, but I am just overall curious and intrigued.
I know I will get recommendations to check out other cities like Asheville but from what I have read/heard is that some places like Asheville (smaller college towns) don't have a diverse economy and that finding a job there is hard. I want to start a successful business so I am looking for somewhere that is moving forward economically and Louisville sounds like it could be that. There are other things I am interested in as well, such as the general area. . Outdoor activities, nature, and what other amenities the State of Kentucky has to offer!
Just thought reaching out for a public opinion would be a great way to get an understanding of what appears to be a beautiful area!
Thanks Louisvillians ,
Brian
Louisville is a great city for entrepreneurs and young gays.

Nashville and Louisville Named in Top 5 Best Cities for Young Entrepreneurs | York Companies

Daily Xtra Travel - Your Comprehensive Guide to Gay Travel in Louisville

And this development has the ability to transform Louisville into true top gay destination:

http://insiderlouisville.com/business/george-update/

So, in short, if you like Louisville, come on out. It is accepting of everyone. There is great arts, some of the best food in the country, and an adequate nightlife.
Many gay couples cluster close to downtown...the CBD, Nulu, Butchertown, Clifton, Old Louisville, and the lower Highlands.

If you have any other questions, just let us know and hopefully you can make the move!

Old 11-21-2014, 11:58 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,633,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianWS View Post

Outdoor activities, nature, and what other amenities the State of Kentucky has to offer!
Hi, Brian,

Well, first of all, welcome to Kentucky if you decide to move here. But having said that... if you really think that Louisville is a progressive area with lots of fun things to do, I strongly suggest you take some time to visit for a few weeks before making the decision. I'm not sure your impression is an accurate one, especially compared to where you're living now. I'm guessing Bay Area, or Santa Cruz maybe? It's a whole different universe than Louisville.

Just for some background.... I've been here 3 years now. I grew up in a rural area of North Central Wisconsin, and have lived most of my life there and the Twin Cities area of Minnesota. I've also lived in Hawaii (Big Island), Northwestern Montana, and California, where I split my time between LA/Ventura and the Bay Area/Monterey. Of all the places I've lived, this is the one place I can't wait to get away from. We're stuck here for a couple more years for reasons I prefer not to get into in much detail, and sometimes I think the only thing that keeps us going is knowing that when we leave, we get to move back to California or Hawaii.

It's true that the people here are (for the most part) very nice and welcoming, and generally accepting of alternative lifestyles. You should know, though, that this isn't exactly a universal truth. If you've never actually lived in the Bible Belt, it can come as quite a culture shock to experience it. You'll be better off in Louisville than most of the smaller towns, though.

As far as arts, culture, outdoor activities and such... be prepared for a different reality. Compared to truly progressive areas like the Twin Cities and most large California cities, there is very, very little in the way of cultural amenities. And as far as outdoor activities - there are some, but they're few and far between. and frankly, most of them aren't very interesting compared to what I'm used to in the Upper Midwest and California. Many counties in Minnesota have more lakes than the entire state of Kentucky, and there are more natural lakes in Minneapolis alone than all of Kentucky (most of Kentucky's 45 lakes are reservoirs).

There are a few areas that lend themselves to good hiking, but they are very few, and the climate takes a lot of the fun out of it. Summers are horrifically hot and humid, and winters are sloppy, slushy, and muddy. 5 months of August, 5 months of March. We're lightyears from Big Sur or John Muir National Monument.

But, it's a fairly pretty area, and some portions are genuinely beautiful. Again, nothing like the California coast, but reasonably pretty. Many people absolutely love it here, and you'll probably see a lot of them posting here in this thread about how much they love it. You'll see very few people posting contrary opinions on this forum. People in Kentucky often tend to be very proud, and sensitive to any kind of criticism, either direct or implied. Like I say, they're very, very nice, but they tend to not like being compared unfavorably to other places. If you like it here, and want to fit in with the place and take it as it is, you will be warmly and sincerely welcomed. If there's anything you don't like about it, you are more than welcome to pack up and go back where you came from.

I'll probably get shouted down for this post (that's what usually happens), but what the hell. I usually just keep my mouth shut and let the love fest run its course, but if you're a gay man in the Bay Area, there's a good chance my wife and I have mutual friends with you, and I couldn't keep my mouth shut this time. If you're really interested in Louisville, come out for a couple of weeks (long enough for the initial charm to wear off) and spend some real time here. Who knows - you may fall head over heels in love with the place, and think I'm a total idiot (like most of the posters who like it here think). Many people here really do love the place, and while I don't, I totally respect their point of view. We just see the place differently, and want different things from the place we live.

This may the home you've been looking for your entire life, and if it is, good for you and your partner. I hope you're very happy. Just know that there's another side to the coin, one you don't often see expressed on this forum.

But good luck with whatever you decide to do. By the way, if arts and culture are important to you, have you considered Nashville at all? It's a fantastic town; the LA of the South in my opinion. If the properties we own were located in that area rather than the Louisville area, I'd be writing this post from a completely different perspective. I only mention it because if you haven't considered it, it may be something worth thinking about.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:47 AM

14,784 posts, read 8,117,863 times
Albert, I am not going to bash you for your opinion. Everyone has their opinion on things, and there is no right or wrong....I grew up moving around to a lot of different cities and states and can tell you, its not uncommon for one person in a family or group to love and adore one place, while another member totally abhors the same place!!!! (And sometimes for the same reason, lol!) Take orange yogurt as an example, I may love it, you may hate it, and yet we are both right, and neither wrong.....it's all in the eyes of the beholder.

If you were to move to small town Kentucky, you might have some issues...I don't think you will at all in Louisville.
For it's region, it is very progressive and accepting. And friendly and laid back. I love the area - many people love it (and by the same standard, I am sure many people hate it - as with any city or state.) I think Louisville has a lot of culture and things to do (but again if you are coming from a mega-large city, it might seem different to you.). Anyways, come on down, and take a visit - and Welcome to Louisville!

Old 11-22-2014, 06:14 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,663,170 times
This is why these forums exist and all threads get multiple replies ~ One mans paradise is another man prison. I would rather be homeless in Lousiville than live in Florida, but many others will disagree . . . But, I digress. My SO and I traveled for 10 years trying to find a culture and a certain amount of 'eccentricity" in the neighborhoods, etc, and after looking in all the places that are known for that: Asheville, Vermont, Philly etc . . . We unpacked our bags in the Highlands. Maybe not the "best" at any one thing, but great in so many different areas. Culture and Quality of Life were the no1 item on our list and we found it in Louisville. I would feel comfortable recommending it to anyone who's requirements were similar to yours/ours.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:15 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,249,038 times
Im Kentuckian and I went and visited southern Calif and to me it felt like being on another planet and I really didnt like it all compared to anywhere in Ky. These are my opinions but I felt Calif, and southern Californians to be cold, indifferent and very superficial.. Also Calif just seemed to me to be kinda, I dunno how to describe, everythings so "cookie-cutter" new and shiny, its just a weird place for me........its just totally not for me.

It does have a beautiful pacific coast and the mountains but its too dry for me. However, I realize its perfect for some folks, and thats fine with me. But I felt very out of place, lonely and isolated out there, even more so than how I felt sometimes living here in Argentina. This is just my perception, and I know some folks think the world of Calif and thats great if it works for them.

But come on out and check it out, you cant tell what the water feels like till you get your feet wet!

Old 11-22-2014, 01:30 PM

10 posts, read 13,958 times
First of all, thank you all for your warm replies and preemptive welcomes! They are really appreciated. . I have done similar posts like this in other forums as we are currently looking for a place in the immediate future and no responses have been as well, kind, as yours. . That is something I am liking, definitely. .
I heard quite a bit about Louisville and have done more research as far as the demographics and have been seeing some positive things - especially in the way of other gay folks. .That is inspiring since it is in the bible belt and not somewhere I would necessarily expect it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Louisville is a great city for entrepreneurs and young gays.

If you have any other questions, just let us know and hopefully you can make the move!
Thanks for those links - They are really good to look at for perspective!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Hi, Brian,
Hit it right on the nose! Santa Cruz! haha
I really did appreciate your response - a lot actually as the other places you have lived have been on my list to check out, and as someone from Cali, your opinion is valid for fellow Californians.. I myself, have moved around quite a bit and have never really looked at Cali as being my permanent (though I am from Santa Cruz and live here now), I guess honestly I feel like I don't have that great of an advantage here as far as opening a business or buying a house. They go for $700k where I am and really, this is the only town in CA I would consider living in. I generally avoid the larger cities like SF and LA. They are nice for a visit and good for music/food/nightlife but none of those are life and death to us. I really want us to go somewhere we can buy a home and have a chance for success without risking it all and ultimately I know that place isn't this state as I have traveled extensively in CA.
Your insight on culture and water really did hit a cord for me though. I like to be immersed in culture and have options, something Santa Cruz doesn't provide. I also really like water and that is a need I have. I love lots of water, rivers, lakes and such. I am kind of tired of the reservoir thing - reminds me of Denver and Colorado in general. . That is all I seemed to see and go to while living out there. So thank you for sure Albert, much appreciated. Maybe we can connect on the Twin Cities as that is another possible option. . (though that Winter man. . I don't know)

I have looked at a few places in this area such as Chattanooga, Asheville, Greenville and the nature amenities they have sound relatively ideal for what we are wanting. Does Louisville compare on that front? Or compare in general really?

I love how much historical architecture there is in Louisville too! I have always wanted to live in a historical home - The houses in Old Louisville are like my literal dream when it comes to architecture and style. . And the pricing on Real Estate out there is absolutely insane compared to here. . Blows my mind. Is investing in an older property a good idea in Louisville or is there a stigma that comes with it??

How is the Salon Industry out there. . I obviously know this is an industry based off customer service, but are Salons a utilized business out there? Are they a dime a dozen or more sporadically placed?

Is the city Vegetarian friendly? I lived in Portland, OR for a while and it looked like Louisville was dubbed the new Portland, but I want to know from the people in what ways that is true?

Thanks again for all your guys' help - You are a stand out group thus far.

-Brian

Last edited by BrianWS; 11-22-2014 at 01:44 PM..

Old 11-22-2014, 10:15 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,051,116 times
Quote:
First of all, thank you all for your warm replies and preemptive welcomes!
They are really appreciated.
I've been to Cali and people aren't as friendly as they are in Louisville. People will say "hello" to you on the street here and you don't know them, or they may strike up a conversation out of the blue. They definitely won't do that in Cali and if they do, they will avoid you, from my experience.

Quote:
I guess honestly I feel like I don't have that great of an advantage here as far
as opening a business or buying a house. They go for $700k where I am and
really, this is the only town in CA I would consider living in. I generally
avoid the larger cities like SF and LA. They are nice for a visit and good for
music/food/nightlife but none of those are life and death to us. I really want
us to go somewhere we can buy a home and have a chance for success without
risking it all and ultimately I know that place isn't this state as I have
traveled extensively in CA.
Louisville is a gr-reat place to open a business. We have a few gay owned businesses in Louisville. I don't know if there is a lot, but just know of 3 businesses that are gay-owned. I've met a few people in Louisville who moved away from Cali due to the high cost of living. For $700K as you mentioned, you could own a mansion here with 10 bedrooms for instance. Prices are reasonable and you get a lot for your money in comparison to Cali.

Quote:
I love how much historical architecture there is in Louisville too! I have
always wanted to live in a historical home - The houses in Old Louisville are
like my literal dream when it comes to architecture and style. . And the pricing
on Real Estate out there is absolutely insane compared to here. . Blows my mind.
Is investing in an older property a good idea in Louisville or is there a stigma
that comes with it??
Older homes are found in Old Louisville and even the Highlands. But living in an older home may have issues eventually with plumbing that needs updating or other things. And in some homes if they are historical, you many have issues if you want to update something differently than what it is due to it being a historical home.

Quote:
Is the city Vegetarian friendly? I lived in Portland, OR for a while and it
looked like Louisville was dubbed the new Portland, but I want to know from the
people in what ways that is true?
I've been vegetarian over 30 years and know all about this. We have a group (I'm no longer with) called "Earthsave Louisville". I'm sure your familiar with the group in Cali where John Robbins is associated with. It really use to be better when it first began in the 1980s. The President then got a lot of the restaurants to have vegetarian choices on their menu. She was really fantastic to get things done when she was President. There are tons of restaurants in the Highlands & the Frankfort Avenue area that have vegetarian choices. There is only one vegan restaurant on Frankfort and I think the only one we have. We use to have another but it closed. Plus we have a Whole Foods grocery, Trader Joes and Lucky's Market which have tons of vegan and vegetarian choices. Plus, Kroger's grocery has a section of organic veggies and fruit and a section for vegetarian items and it's quite a large area too.

I hope all of my info helps y'all~!

Old 11-22-2014, 10:22 PM

14,784 posts, read 8,117,863 times
Quote:
Is the city Vegetarian friendly? I lived in Portland, OR for a while and it looked like Louisville was dubbed the new Portland, but I want to know from the people in what ways that is true?
Link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area