Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 09:25 PM

17 posts, read 19,450 times

Advertisements

Thank you, everyone for your replies! We are going to be visiting this Spring and had Bardstown and LaGrange on the list but I'll definitely look into the other suggestions. We'd like to be no more than 45 minutes out from Louisville but will be looking closer to the city as well. We're so looking forward to being in Kentucky!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 09:18 PM

Any nice areas
close to Southern Baptist Theological Seminary?

Old 03-16-2015, 06:18 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
Welcome to Kentucky!

Old 03-16-2015, 08:37 AM

Not there yet but have our plane tickets to search the area! Looking for best small, friendly town close to SBTS.....any suggestions?

Old 03-16-2015, 09:16 AM

There are so many great little towns in Kentucky....Bardstown, Shelbyville or LaGrange, come to mind, if you are wanting to stay relatively close to Louisville. Heck, there are some parts of Louisville, that sort of have a small town, yet big city feel.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:20 AM

You also have a couple of small towns right across the River from Louisville - New Albany Indiana or Georgetown Indiana.

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 03-16-2015 at 10:08 AM..

Old 03-16-2015, 09:31 AM

We live in Los Angekes County...outside of the big city...used to be a nice little community but things change! There are a lot of nice areas surrounding a downtown metropolis but also a lot of not so nice, I am sure it is that way in many states. Not knowing first hand and not having the time to check out every area I so appreciate this site and everyone's help. We have not looked at Indiana, tax rates, etc. but will do so, thank you.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:00 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,327,141 times
I personally live in New Albany, and yes it is FINALLY starting to revitalize the downtown area. However, you have to be the ally careful where you move in New Albany. I live in Downtown, really close to the YMCA in a newly redone apartment on Spring Street. I love it.

However, if you go to far down you'll enter the not so nice area very quickly. If you drive through downtown New Albany you'll definitely know when you leave the nice zone. The downtown is growing, the waterfront is starting to become nicer as well.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:40 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
I personally live in New Albany, and yes it is FINALLY starting to revitalize the downtown area. However, you have to be the ally careful where you move in New Albany. I live in Downtown, really close to the YMCA in a newly redone apartment on Spring Street. I love it.

However, if you go to far down you'll enter the not so nice area very quickly. If you drive through downtown New Albany you'll definitely know when you leave the nice zone. The downtown is growing, the waterfront is starting to become nicer as well.
I'm assuming your talking about to the north of downtown, as east of downtown is among the best educated census tract in the whole city. The whole Spring St corridor in general seems pretty nice. In general north central NA is the worst area, although all of NA only averages 1 murder every other year.

If the OP is wanting to be near the Seminary off I-64 btw Downtown and I-264 I'd say Shelbyville or LaGrange. Shelbyville has a more of it's own feel, reminds me a lot of the small towns outside Lexington, while LaGrange is more like an extension of the East End. Both have great historic areas. Bardstown is a pretty far commute in rush hour. New Albany is like a small town but is also an urban neighborhood of Louisville too. Sellersburg is the closest true small town in Indiana. Short commute mileagewise but will be a pain until the new bridge is opened in 1.5 years.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:01 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,327,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I'm assuming your talking about to the north of downtown, as east of downtown is among the best educated census tract in the whole city. The whole Spring St corridor in general seems pretty nice. In general north central NA is the worst area, although all of NA only averages 1 murder every other year.

If the OP is wanting to be near the Seminary off I-64 btw Downtown and I-264 I'd say Shelbyville or LaGrange. Shelbyville has a more of it's own feel, reminds me a lot of the small towns outside Lexington, while LaGrange is more like an extension of the East End. Both have great historic areas. Bardstown is a pretty far commute in rush hour. New Albany is like a small town but is also an urban neighborhood of Louisville too. Sellersburg is the closest true small town in Indiana. Short commute mileagewise but will be a pain until the new bridge is opened in 1.5 years.
Main,Market and Spring St are all nice. Especially Main St. where the old mansions and lovely Victorian homes are. And when I say not so nice parts I'm not necessarily meaning crimes, I'm meaning lower income where the houses are run down and the people aren't the greatest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area