Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 06:32 AM

22 posts, read 47,321 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live in Louisville and plan to retire and downsize in a year or two. We love the Highlands in Louisville, but just refuse to pay the price to live there. I know there are some streets in new Albany that have the same style home we want (bungalow/shotgun). what streets should we be looking at? I've read there is revival in some of the downtown New Albany areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 08:18 AM

236 posts, read 319,207 times
If you are wanting to be within walking distance of the newer resturants, the new growth is mainly within a block or two of the intersection of State St. and Main St.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:09 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhayes1976 View Post
My husband and I live in Louisville and plan to retire and downsize in a year or two. We love the Highlands in Louisville, but just refuse to pay the price to live there. I know there are some streets in new Albany that have the same style home we want (bungalow/shotgun). what streets should we be looking at? I've read there is revival in some of the downtown New Albany areas.
You are correct. I would look at the east main/market area of New Albany. Close et the river, the same homes at less than half the price, and now downtown NA has a whole scene from every ethnic restaurants to shops and cafes.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:50 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Main Street just east of downtown is nice and has lots of Victorian mansions. Further out along Spring St and Silver St is similar to Germantown and has a variety of older homes. I saw your post on the IN forum about Corydon. It and Georgetown have a nice stock of old homes if you prefer small town living. NA has a good number of local restaurants

Old 06-16-2015, 11:42 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,478 times
I lived in downtown NA for a few years on Spring St. I would recommend staying close to the river/downtown where the businesses and restaurants are. The further you go away, the less desirable you'll find it. Spring, Main and Market are where you want to be.

Tons of nice Victorian homes, mansions, very attractive overall.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:04 AM

797 posts, read 2,338,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
I lived in downtown NA for a few years on Spring St. I would recommend staying close to the river/downtown where the businesses and restaurants are. The further you go away, the less desirable you'll find it. Spring, Main and Market are where you want to be.
I somewhat agree with this, though there are nice areas in New Albany outside of downtown. The Silver Hills neighborhood is really nice. There are some really cute cottage/bungalow style homes along Daisy Lane as well as some brand new nice looking places going in right by the roundabout there. There are good areas with a more rural/country feel along Captain Frank, Old Vincennes, and Valley View (just west/south of I-64) and good neighborhoods, though not necessarily affluent, in other areas as well like along parts of Charlestown Rd.

There are only a couple places to avoid altogether. One is the general area between the hospital and the country club. That's probably the worst part of New Albany. There are also some pretty shady places between Main Street and the river the further east of 10th you go. You get some characters and druggies around the Rite Aid there and that general area, but it's not like it's someplace I would ever be afraid to go.

Your target area for a Highlands type experience with the ability to walk/bike into downtown and enjoy all it has to offer would be either right downtown, or east of downtown somewhere along Main, Market, Spring, or Elm. Honestly, I enjoy downtown NA a lot more than the Highlands. You still have plenty of options but it's more compact whereas the Highlands is stretched out for a long distance along Bardstown. NA isn't as congested and irritating to move around either. You don't have people just walking out in front of traffic or swinging doors open where people are driving like you do in the Highlands.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:22 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Nice thread! We are in the same position as the O.P.
We are going over the bridge today to look around in NA! I am going to put the areas mentioned on our list of areas to check out. A few months ago we looked at Jeffersonville and was very disappointed. Not bad, just not for us. Hopefully, NA will not be a similar let-down.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:26 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
I don't want to take over the OP's thread, but we did get into New Albany over the weekend. After our visit to Jeffersonville, I had low expectations, but have to say I was mildly shocked. Very different! I found MissingIndiana's comments(above) to be right on target. We were very pleasantly surprised. Mansion Row was fabulous!! We researched realty on Zillow and got shock #2 Some of the houses that would suit us fine for retirement, are just under 1/3rd of properties we looked at in the Highlands and Crescent Hill. Insane! Right now, it appears New Albany will be the focus of our next adventure.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:24 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I don't want to take over the OP's thread, but we did get into New Albany over the weekend. After our visit to Jeffersonville, I had low expectations, but have to say I was mildly shocked. Very different! I found MissingIndiana's comments(above) to be right on target. We were very pleasantly surprised. Mansion Row was fabulous!! We researched realty on Zillow and got shock #2 Some of the houses that would suit us fine for retirement, are just under 1/3rd of properties we looked at in the Highlands and Crescent Hill. Insane! Right now, it appears New Albany will be the focus of our next adventure.
One of the best restaurants I have eaten at in awhile is in New Albany, The Exchange. It is also across the road from Seeds and Greens, Natural Market.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:01 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
I just moved to NA last weekend and have been moving stuff in for a couple weeks. No regrets so far. Our nice 1950s ranch house was insanely cheap (a lot less than $65k) despite having great hard wood floors, a rebuilt kitchen, and only a handful of minor annoyances. We're in the McDonald Ln / Charlestown Rd area which is out of the Victorian district. I'd love to live in Mansion Row area, maybe a possibility if this house turns a profit.

Downtown and nearby areas are good but there's still enough room for improvement to view it as an investment buy. I could see the whole area having a large increase in values once the bridges project makes the commute easier. If you want a good urban experience you can't go wrong between Elm and Main streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area