Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 10:43 AM

76 posts, read 105,587 times

Advertisements

Curious if there are many hiking trails near Louisville? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 04:13 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
Cherokee Park, Joe Creason, Bernhiem Forest(sp?) . . . there are quite a few

Old 10-04-2015, 07:41 PM

76 posts, read 105,587 times
thank you! Not from the area & possibly relocating to Louisville. Great news!!!

Old 10-05-2015, 05:51 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
For a metro not in mountains Louisville has great hiking options. Literally 100+ miles of trails within 45 miles of downtown. SW Jefferson Co south of the Snyder has Jefferson Memorial Forest which has many trails in the 5 mile range. Bernheim Forest near Bardstown is great. Southern Indiana has many, including the 50 mile long Knobstone.
New parks ringing east of Louisville have been and are being built and most have a couple miles of hiking / nature trails.

The terrain is rolling forested hills. Elevation change will never be more than 300 feet and is usually more around 100/200 ft. But it's great to have them so close you can go after work and great prep for the bigger trails in Appalachia. Just a couple hours east of here and you have the trails in the mountains.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:13 AM

236 posts, read 318,965 times
I've hiked mountains out West that were less challenging than the Knobstone. It's a great trail with some amazing views.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:01 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
I believe iriquois, and Tom Sawyer may have some as well.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:18 AM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Not super close to Louisville but Clifty Falls over in Madison, IN is very nice and the town is great.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:44 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I believe iriquois, and Tom Sawyer may have some as well.
Most larger parks have nature trails of some kind. Most are around 1 mile. EP Sawyer has a couple miles worth (used to walk it several times a week before I moved to NA). As someone into hiking I make a distinction between nature trails and real hiking, that both are fine and Louisville has them in abundance. If I won the lottery and spent every day hiking it would take a few years to hit all the trails within an hour or downtown, and more are being built constantly. And if you want real mountain hiking you're just a few hours to Red River Gorge, Sheltowee Trace, Cumberland Gap, etc.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:40 PM

797 posts, read 2,337,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
For a metro not in mountains Louisville has great hiking options. Literally 100+ miles of trails within 45 miles of downtown. SW Jefferson Co south of the Snyder has Jefferson Memorial Forest which has many trails in the 5 mile range. Bernheim Forest near Bardstown is great. Southern Indiana has many, including the 50 mile long Knobstone.
New parks ringing east of Louisville have been and are being built and most have a couple miles of hiking / nature trails.
These are all great options. Charlestown State park in Indiana is also close by and there are several other hikes within an hours drive as well. Lots of outdoor opportunities in the area.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:45 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Most larger parks have nature trails of some kind. Most are around 1 mile. EP Sawyer has a couple miles worth (used to walk it several times a week before I moved to NA). As someone into hiking I make a distinction between nature trails and real hiking, that both are fine and Louisville has them in abundance. If I won the lottery and spent every day hiking it would take a few years to hit all the trails within an hour or downtown, and more are being built constantly. And if you want real mountain hiking you're just a few hours to Red River Gorge, Sheltowee Trace, Cumberland Gap, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingIndiana View Post
These are all great options. Charlestown State park in Indiana is also close by and there are several other hikes within an hours drive as well. Lots of outdoor opportunities in the area.
This a HUGE reason I love Louisville so much. You have an urban/hip/arts/music/culture cool city, but 1/2 hour out, and you can be in major nature! It's a little like New England in that respect. You can find total desolation if you want . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area