Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2015, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 844 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are thinking of moving to Louisville.
I am in the arts and he works in IT.
Firstly , is there much going on Louisville for music and arts?
Where would you guys recommend we move to? We loved the look of old Louisville but we like an area with live music and a bit of life around.
We are both 31.

Secondly please forgive me for being so naive but I am wondering what race relations are like there.
I am Caucasian but my husband is of Middle Eastern background. I hope I don't offend anyone with this question, I am just not sure what it would be like for him.
He is from Lebanon - speaks perfect English and is very laid back and friendly. I'm just wondering if he will encounter any problems .

By the way - I forgot to ad- we are from Australia - but Usa citizens also

Thanks so much for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 02:00 PM

14,785 posts, read 8,123,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach30 View Post
Hi everyone,

Where would you guys recommend we move to? We loved the look of old Louisville but we like an area with live music and a bit of life around.
We are both 31.

Secondly please forgive me for being so naive but I am wondering what race relations are like there.
I am Caucasian but my husband is of Middle Eastern background. I hope I don't offend anyone with this question, I am just not sure what it would be like for him.
He is from Lebanon - speaks perfect English and is very laid back and friendly. I'm just wondering if he will encounter any problems .

Louisville is a great city if you are an artist or into the arts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQQ0BhTLsWc

There are also lots of concerts and festivals to be had...there is always something to do it seems!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQhL9dLLOdI

I imagine you would especially be taken with the Highlands area of the city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_in4N2Pv0E

Welcome to the Louisville forum!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoneD4zl-Z0

Old 11-10-2015, 04:08 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,664,610 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

We loved the look of old Louisville but we like an area with live music and a bit of life around.
We are both 31.
Highlands--Deer Park, Tyler Park, anywhere around Cherokee Park. Can't go wrong

Old 11-10-2015, 04:36 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,424,920 times
I grew up in Suburbia of Louisville and we had Indian families, Jewish families, hippie families, etc., even that far outside of downtown. The city does struggle with vandalism at a Muslim center in town, but in general, people are very friendly and supportive. It's usually the uneducated and afraid that make idiotic statements, and if you guys are intelligent people (which it sounds like you are) you shouldn't run into any of that directly with people you choose to hang out with.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:11 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,492,699 times
Old Louisville is great architecturally but the Highlands or Clifton has a lot more shopping and dining
options. Louisville is very good in terms of live music and arts for a mid sized city. Race tensions here would be average but people with such views tend to keep it too themselves. I see more mixed race couples and children here than any larger metro I've been. But I'm not sure a Lebanonese person would be viewed non White anyway. Do they look different than someone from Greece or Italy? I like Middle Eastern food and frequent several run by families from places like Jordan and they don't stand out in appearance unless the women wear hijabs. Most Middle Eastern people are affluent doctors or business owners.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:56 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,828,198 times
I'd say it depends on your preference of a living area(nieghbourhood style, people, etc), and what you're willing to pay. Old Louisville is nice, but there are a lot of slum apartments there. I'd look for an affordable area close to where you want to be, that has well-kept domiciles.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:45 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,756,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
I grew up in Suburbia of Louisville and we had Indian families, Jewish families, hippie families, etc., even that far outside of downtown. The city does struggle with vandalism at a Muslim center in town, but in general, people are very friendly and supportive. It's usually the uneducated and afraid that make idiotic statements, and if you guys are intelligent people (which it sounds like you are) you shouldn't run into any of that directly with people you choose to hang out with.
Where? A muslim mosque was vandalized once to my knowledge.

Just a couple weeks ago a Boston mosque was vandalized. A US place of worship is vandalized pretty much every week.

Massachusetts Mosque Vandalized Amid Increasing Islamophobic Rhetoric in US, Civil Rights Group Says

Louisville is one of the most accepting and tolerant cities I have lived in. It is not the most diverse city, but it is not the least either. I would say it has average diversity but it also has one of the fastest growing (percent wise) immigrant and international populations of any US major city

Old 11-11-2015, 09:48 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,756,620 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

We are both 31.

You would love the Highlands. There are more lebanese than you may think in Louisville, and there is even a lebanese country club:

Louisville Lebanese Country Club - Lebanese American Country Club

There are dozens of great middle eastern restaurants.

If anything, Louisville is one of the top metros under 2 million for arts, architecture, and music. I would also put Nashville, Austin, and New Orleans on that list, however, each city is about twice as expensive as Louisville and has way more traffic and crime.

There is a national buzz building on Louisville....here are some recent press

https://louisvilleky.gov/government/...uzz-louisville

https://louisvilleky.gov/government/...d-recognitions

Old 11-12-2015, 03:47 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,424,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Where? A muslim mosque was vandalized once to my knowledge.

Just a couple weeks ago a Boston mosque was vandalized. A US place of worship is vandalized pretty much every week.

Massachusetts Mosque Vandalized Amid Increasing Islamophobic Rhetoric in US, Civil Rights Group Says

Louisville is one of the most accepting and tolerant cities I have lived in. It is not the most diverse city, but it is not the least either. I would say it has average diversity but it also has one of the fastest growing (percent wise) immigrant and international populations of any US major city
Dude, the Islamic Center on River Road gets vandalized seemingly once a year, if not more. My friends on Facebook were posting about coming back from cleaning it again just a month or few ago.

Vandals paint anti-Islamic messages on Louisville mosque - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports (the sentence about this being the first time is flat wrong. It could be the first time under a particular name, but any archive should dig up annual vandalizations in the Courier Journal.

Louisville is a very nice city, and there's a reason we're moving back. However, it does have some issues among the older and younger ignorant people being intolerant and racist. However, it does have segments of very accepting and kind people as well. Some people will just be nice to your face, and that's all you get.

There are going to be issues in almost every US city with people who are ignorant and intolerant unfortunately. We've even met intolerance and ignorance in San Francisco, it's just a different flavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: