Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 01:40 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times

Advertisements

I think this stuff comes in cycles. I lived in Lexington in the mid / late 1990s when the teenagers and schools were badly out of control. I've talked to some younger cousins who went to some of the same schools and they has fewer problems. But in my day despite attending some of the better reputed public schools on a daily basis most kids were out of control. I had classes where all we did was play paper football. In shop class all I learned was the latest WWF moves. There were fights almost every day, sometimes posters would be passed out saying to meet at a certain hallway at a set time where two people would fight. Most days we stole half our lunch while waiting in line. In one class the school's biggest drug dealer rolled marijuana joints in front of the teacher. On the school bus kids would bring apple sauce containers and take the lid off and throw them at cars with windows down at red lines. There was never any consequences for any of this. And it wasn't a race thing, but went across racial and economic lines. I've always wished my teen years could have been spent at a school where I actually got to focus on learning, not surviving bullies or goofing off.

Bottom line is people - especially young people - will get away with the most they can without negative consequences.

In my case I know much of the problem was schools being too large. I had previously been in a small rural school system with 30 kids per grade level. There were zero problems. In the city schools there were so many kids and so many teachers that it was easy to slip through the cracks. I never had one teacher I got to know well or trusted to talk to about personal problems. I suspect JCPS has that problem too. I believe America started going downhill when small community schools went away in exchange for mega schools were most are bused from miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 08:06 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckBeChitown View Post
Were these kids part of a gang or gangs? Is there a gang problem in Louisville? Just would like to know as we will soon be moving to Louisville.
Well, check out the murder rate for 2015 before making your move. Interesting the similarities between this event and well, let's just say, another movement in that it was a large gathering of like people in a public space intimidating those trying to get on with commerce and other normal activities of daily living.

Were the rumors of "community organizing" via social media ever substantiated? Hm!

Old 01-04-2016, 08:43 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

Were the rumors of "community organizing" via social media ever substantiated? Hm!

Yes, the kids interviewed by WLKY (check the link in an earlier post) said they noticed postings about meeting at the mall on Instagram, more than usual.

The homicide rate could be gang related. I really doubt the mall thing was gang related. The last time we had a lot more homicides it was caused by relocated people in public housing to other areas with different gang affiliations. You know that public housing is really in flux right now with many being closed and their former residents dispersed. This will help everyone in the long run but more homicides is the short term pain.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:47 AM

Yes, the homicide rate is gang-related; I believe this incident was BLM-related, although there seems to be a conspiracy between local government and the media (AND this thread's moderator) to silence such speculation.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:51 AM

46 posts, read 59,970 times
Quote:
Yes, the homicide rate is gang-related; I believe this incident was BLM-related, although there seems to be a conspiracy between local government and the media (AND this thread's moderator) to silence such speculation.
THANK YOU! We need more people to speak the truth. I've always said if you truly care about a place, you don't sweep the problems under the rug. The rug eventually rips and its ripping now. Honestly I don't think Mayor Abramson was as bad as covering up the city's problems as Mayor Fischer is. Abramson was bad about it don't get me wrong but Fischer is totally in lala land. I sometimes speculate that the thread moderator must work for the city government.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:26 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno25 View Post
THANK YOU! We need more people to speak the truth. I've always said if you truly care about a place, you don't sweep the problems under the rug. The rug eventually rips and its ripping now. Honestly I don't think Mayor Abramson was as bad as covering up the city's problems as Mayor Fischer is. Abramson was bad about it don't get me wrong but Fischer is totally in lala land. I sometimes speculate that the thread moderator must work for the city government.
The final truth of the matter is it was a bunch of thug kids who should be punished like adults. St.Mathews mall is a nice mall, family friendly, in a nice part of town. There's no exception or reason this should happen. I will admit, I understand why kids from the west end would come to the mall to simply escape the "hood" and be in the nice end of town since they have nothing over there but there's still no tolerance for this. If anything go to Jefferson Mall, it's kind of ghetto anyway

Old 01-04-2016, 02:19 PM

39 posts, read 26,653 times
So you (rightfully)say there's no tolerance for that foolishness, then in the next sentence say they should go to Jefferson Mall since it's already ghetto? You're very contradictory and that kind of attitude isn't helpful to the problem either.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
The final truth of the matter is it was a bunch of thug kids who should be punished like adults. St.Mathews mall is a nice mall, family friendly, in a nice part of town. There's no exception or reason this should happen. I will admit, I understand why kids from the west end would come to the mall to simply escape the "hood" and be in the nice end of town since they have nothing over there but there's still no tolerance for this. If anything go to Jefferson Mall, it's kind of ghetto anyway
I don't believe any of us can say with certainty what "the final truth of the matter" is...

Old 01-04-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I don't believe any of us can say with certainty what "the final truth of the matter" is...
So you can't say these kids/people were "thugish"? Last I checked, this kind of behavior qualified as thug like behavior, acting like idiots, and causing problems to innocent people. If there's no truth to that then you got me....but there is truth to it.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
So you (rightfully)say there's no tolerance for that foolishness, then in the next sentence say they should go to Jefferson Mall since it's already ghetto? You're very contradictory and that kind of attitude isn't helpful to the problem either.
I didn't say go to Jefferson Mall and cause problems. I simply said go to Jefferson Mall since it's kind of ghetto. Meaning leave St.Mathews nice and friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area