Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 08:41 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Criminals love people like you, Tom, who abandon their neighborhoods after one break-in or robbery. Your philosophy is that if the criminals have taken over the West End, the ngive them Buechel. If they take over Buechel, them give them Lyndon also. Heck, why not just let them take over all of Jefferson County and flee to Oldham County?

Criminals hate people who stand and fight crime where it exists, which is the case in Old Louisville and Downtown.
As my wife read what was written, she fell off her chair and rolled in the floor laughing at the absurdity of the writers two comments on this thread. Both comments were totally without basis and quite "trolling" to say the least especially the above quoted comment which leveled direct and totally inappropriate words.

Crime anywhere should not be tolerated. When people from all corners of our nation and world ask about moving to Louisville, they need facts with which to make judgements about where they will live. Every person has choices to make and given all the facts with both objective and subjective opinions to paint the facts, they are able to make better choices that fit their family's needs.

The greatest reasons the west end of Louisville has low property values points directly at the crime factor and the very low performance of the schools in those areas. Likewise, the entire reason Oldham County's property values are quite high is a result of the low (not perfect) crime factor and ultra-high performance of all public schools in the county, not just select outstanding public schools. It should be noted here that many wonderful people continue to live in the west end and other declining areas of Jefferson County. By no means should anyone ever suggest that I disregard those people as I actually have tremendous empathy for them.

It is not a matter of my personal emotion here as far as I am concerned because the previous writer attacks me, but rather the people who have asked about the Louisville Metropolitian Statistical area need to know because they are investing far more than the money to buy their homes, they are investing their time and their futures.

Last edited by tomocox; 03-12-2008 at 08:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 10:33 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times
Oldham County is nice but it is basically just like every other upper-middle class suburban area in every other metro in the country. Actually, it seems to offer less in terms of restaurants and shopping than most other suburbs. There is nothing wrong with that but it is what it is.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:09 AM

You are correct about the restaurants and shopping; however, much is being done to change the status quo. Part of the restaurant model is due to the fact that Oldham County is a very new area which as "urbanized" only since the late 1970's. As most upper echelon restaurants are independent businesses, this typically finds franchised restuarants populating newer areas of suburban America. Oldham County has several franchise eateries and a few unique places, but no $50.00 entrees.

As far as shopping, competition means that most clothing stores are located in malls and upscale strip centers. Oldham County's retail is generally unique boutiques, but satisfactory to 90% of Oldham County's residents.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:35 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
I'm not meaning to come off as a troll, I just don't want Louisville to end up like Detroit, Cincinnati, or St Louis: places where the urban decay and crime in the city center has hurt museums, universities, and anything else located there.

Tourism to Cincinnati has declined dramatically since the 2001 riots. The University of Cincinnati saw a dramatic drop in applications and overall academic rankings have dropped. The reason is that law abiding, middle class residents fled from Cincinnati's urban neighborhoods, allowing them to be taken over by thugs.

If everyone White middle class person moved to surrounding counties, Louisville and all the major cultural institutions located here, would be severely damaged. This would have a negative impact on the entire metro area.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:16 AM

12 posts, read 39,004 times
I don't think there's any danger in folks "fleeing" to Oldham Co. Oldham has a great deal to offer those who are looking for that sort of life style. It's beautiful, picturesque, great schools low crime and there's still larger chunks of property to be had. Having said that I will be looking to move back into metro Louisville from Oldham Co as soon as I can. Why? I miss the hustle and bustle of city living. I miss 24 hour groceries (and no... Crestwood super market doesn't count and the poured foundation of the promised Kroger on 329 has been there for 2 years now with no sign of activity.). I don't want to drive 30 minutes, late at night, to get home after having to drive 30 minutes into town for a formal dinner at a restaurant with a decent wine list. Most (not all but most) theatrical productions are in Louisville and I like having a selection to choose from. If I want to shop on the weekends I find myself going back into jefferson Co. I simply moved to Oldham Co too soon. The area hasn't evolved enough to suit me. I have family that have lived here for 25 years and can't imagine living elsewhere but then, their lifestyles center around their home.
How fortunate we are to have a variance in communities such as Jefferson and Oldham Co in such a close proximity to each other. In some states you have to drive for MANY miles to find such divergent areas.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:17 PM

3 posts, read 8,130 times
We have looked all over Jefferson County for a home but we have decided to live in Oldham County. We need at least a half acre of land and we want our children to participate in community sports. Oldham has community sports programs whereas Jefferson County seems to have the sports programs only through the schools. So in this regard, it would seem that only the better players will play. Our one child attends a private school in Jefferson County and there are 28 children on the soccer team, not much playing time for any of the children.
Yes, there are great schools in Jefferson County but when we talk to a real estate agent they always bring up Manual; not all kids can get into this school. Then when you ask where their kids go, it is always to a private school. We can't afford to send our children to private school and I like public schools.
We are concerned about gas prices but if we were to live in Jefferson County, we would live Lake Forrest where commuting would be the same amount of time.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:54 AM

Baldy, what you have written about JCPS is exactly the cry that I have been sharing on this site for years.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:14 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,156,612 times
Thumbs down Census Data I have to say you must think as a parent!

Hi Census Data! Love your constant imput, "but" on this thread [I do see your point], I have to disagree with you as a parent speaking. For us "middle-class" families who cannot afford a private school for there children, you cannot put down those families down, who want to move out of a metro area or who when investigating/relocating to a new area would pick a county like Oldham County in general over a more metro area like Jefferson county.

You mentioned how families "fled" urban areas like Cincinnati, or Detroit and didn't face those "thugs". When as a parent, if you had the opportunity to raise your kids in a safer and family friendly enviroment away from those "thugs", you would be negligent in your duties as a proper parent for not doing so, especially if you can afford to do so. It is also the responsibility of that cities law enforcement along with urban communities to instill law and order. It is usually when this communication, or lack of funding to a police department [due to cities squandering away tax dollars for other uses not as important], that crime increases and neighborhoods go down.

There will always be those [as you can tell from the response on this thread] who prefer a more metro type living, and those who like a suburbia type living. When I was in my 20's I liked living in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles with all the hustle and bustle , but by the time I met my wife I was done with the added traffic, noise, smog, ect. and was ready for the more suburbia live of Thousand Oaks, Ca [which is similar to Oldham County but a bit more built up]. I do wish that Oldham County had more ammenties for shopping and dining, but am willing to drive a bit to get to them so that I can enjoy the more land and quiet that Oldham offers.

So basically its all a matter of timing for most people in there lives. Who knows, I might want to move back a little closer again to the bustle when the kids move out, doubt it, but you never know. Your tastes change with age. Just my two cents.

Tomocox - lov ya!

Old 05-07-2008, 09:10 AM

9 posts, read 33,976 times
I WISH I COULD be an Oldham County booster. We spent 5 great years in Lagrange but a job tranfer took me to the armpit of America--Memphis, Tennessee. I was in Louisville for Thunder a couple weeks ago and wanted to cry when we left.

So fas as any topic on this board concerning Oldham County or Louisville in general is concerned BE GRATEFUL for what you have. Come to Memphis for a while and you will think differently concerning saying anything negative about the area. So far as Memphis is concerned think of a West End of Louisville magnified in size about 50X with around 250 Louis Coleman types and the picture will be clear.

We'll be back one day! And in Oldham County! I am ready to tee it up at the Oldham County Country Club one more time.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:36 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,156,612 times
Sorry to hear you were torn away from Oldham County "takemehometooldham", I know what you mean regarding to be grateful. I have been lucky these last 12 years or so, but I know what the "other side" looks like and don't plan on going back! Hope you get to go back someday. Were just about to come over, have traveled, investigated, researched, and lived in quite a few diverse places, still think the Louisville area is just about perfect, each his own of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area