Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 02:20 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times

Advertisements

This morning Metro Council members Kramer, Reed, Parker, Piagentini, Benson, Engel, and Peden filed a resolution requesting Fischer’s resignation.

Some of the reasons:
  • Rise in the number of annual homicides reported over Fischer’s tenure.
  • Preventing his staff from participating in Metro Council hearings following the death of Breonna Taylor.
  • Handling of protests over the course of the past three months, including refusal to enforce local and state laws.
  • Failure to promptly address multiple allegations of sexual misconduct in Metro Animal Services, TARC, and the LMPD Explorer program.

https://www.wave3.com/2020/08/17/cou...th-resolution/

Old 08-18-2020, 12:02 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
This morning Metro Council members Kramer, Reed, Parker, Piagentini, Benson, Engel, and Peden filed a resolution requesting Fischer’s resignation.

Some of the reasons:
  • Rise in the number of annual homicides reported over Fischer’s tenure.
  • Preventing his staff from participating in Metro Council hearings following the death of Breonna Taylor.
  • Handling of protests over the course of the past three months, including refusal to enforce local and state laws.
  • Failure to promptly address multiple allegations of sexual misconduct in Metro Animal Services, TARC, and the LMPD Explorer program.

https://www.wave3.com/2020/08/17/cou...th-resolution/
Louisville must keep in mind that its news stations need to consider it is now a big city; they cannot report like small town news stations.

Downtown is just sad, not dangerous. Louisville has been set back to 2008 or so. That said, from where I have traveled and read about, every major city has been set back. Regionally, Indy, Cincy, St Louis are total holes. Being in the SE, Louisville has a chance to boom post Covid as big NE and Midwest cities are going to empty out. Not everyone can move to FL, and the other popular SE states are just getting too full, plus Louisville is a great spot especially for those from Midwest states bordering KY who are within striking distance of home.

Bottom line? The city needs leadership. Call me naive, but this is an opportunity for Louisville to either reinvent herself, or fall down the worm whole into Midwest blight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 07:55 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Louisville must keep in mind that its news stations need to consider it is now a big city; they cannot report like small town news stations.

Downtown is just sad, not dangerous. Louisville has been set back to 2008 or so. That said, from where I have traveled and read about, every major city has been set back. Regionally, Indy, Cincy, St Louis are total holes. Being in the SE, Louisville has a chance to boom post Covid as big NE and Midwest cities are going to empty out. Not everyone can move to FL, and the other popular SE states are just getting too full, plus Louisville is a great spot especially for those from Midwest states bordering KY who are within striking distance of home.

Bottom line? The city needs leadership. Call me naive, but this is an opportunity for Louisville to either reinvent herself, or fall down the worm whole into Midwest blight.
What a broad brush inaccurate statement. There are plenty of nice areas in the Midwest that are low crime, they just don't generally happen to be the largest cities. There are many nicer smaller cities in the Midwest that rank far better in important metrics compared to smaller cities in the Southeast as well.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:56 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Downtown will be hurt significantly but I doubt that brings down all the thriving areas ringing it. If anything it will speed up improvements in all three Indiana downtowns, Frankfort Ave, and the Highlands. So far crime increase seems to be in areas that already had high crime.

Old 08-21-2020, 03:40 AM

Quote:

I agree this is a crucial juncture for Louisville. I also feel this is a step in the right direction, Fischer has not been good for Louisville.

Old 08-23-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I agree this is a crucial juncture for Louisville. I also feel this is a step in the right direction, Fischer has not been good for Louisville.
Excellent points. This has set Louisville back but if it can build and unite entire city across 9th st, it has a chance to participate in the new economy and boom!

Old 08-26-2020, 10:19 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Excellent points. This has set Louisville back but if it can build and unite entire city across 9th st, it has a chance to participate in the new economy and boom!
Louisville will never grow like any Sunbelt city (you can't change the very messed up weather of the Ohio Valley), it could grow larger in percentage terms similar to Indy, though.

Old 08-27-2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Louisville will never grow like any Sunbelt city (you can't change the very messed up weather of the Ohio Valley), it could grow larger in percentage terms similar to Indy, though.
Similar to Orlando or Phoenix? Probably not. There is no reason Louisville cannot do by 2030 what Nashville started in 2010. It almost exclusively depends on real estate prices and leadership. The leadership is too poor right now for it to even grow over the current 5%.

Old 09-25-2020, 07:22 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
After seeing all the riots, Louisville is finished. People will remember, not move there or move out. No calling in National Guard to put down the riots? Trust me, these riots will affect those cities for decades, and not in a good way.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
After seeing all the riots, Louisville is finished. People will remember, not move there or move out. No calling in National Guard to put down the riots? Trust me, these riots will affect those cities for decades, and not in a good way.
The National Guard has been in the Louisville area since Tuesday evening - it was reported in the 500 range were sent there. Additionally, neighboring jurisdictions lent LMPD police personnel to do normal services outside of the protest area, such as wrecks, to free up a greater percentage of their own police to work the protests/riots. It would help greatly if outside agitators weren’t there. I do think if Fischer had handled thus whole mess better from the get-go it wouldn’t be so bad now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area