Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 11:42 AM

22 posts, read 143,489 times

Advertisements

We're relocating to Ft. Knox next year as a result of my husband's job relo. We currently live in North Arlington, VA. Very liberal, old neighborhood. I love my neighborhood...best schools, beautiful old neighborhood with lots of mature plantings, and it's 10 minutes into the city. I like the urban-suburban feel to Arlington and the fact that it's an old, established, liberal neighborhood with the best schools in the area. I'm not having much luck finding the same thing in Louisville without an enormous commute to Ft. Knox. Can you help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 12:23 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Areas like you're describing in Arlington are mostly located on the far side of Louisville from Ft Knox - thus being St Matthews, Clifton, Crescent Hill, The Highlands.

The closest areas like that to Ft Knox would be Audubon Park and Old Louisville - both located off I-65 around mm 133. There are also some nice historic areas off Southern Parkway near Iroqouis Park.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:48 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Areas like you're describing in Arlington are mostly located on the far side of Louisville from Ft Knox - thus being St Matthews, Clifton, Crescent Hill, The Highlands.

The closest areas like that to Ft Knox would be Audubon Park and Old Louisville - both located off I-65 around mm 133. There are also some nice historic areas off Southern Parkway near Iroqouis Park.
Those areas are historic but I don't know about liberal and the schools in that area are not that great. I would see about getting my kids into the traditional program if you can.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:04 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Those areas are historic but I don't know about liberal and the schools in that area are not that great. I would see about getting my kids into the traditional program if you can.
All of those areas are historic, urban, liberal, and feed into good schools, with the exception of Beechmont/Southern Parkway. The Highlands IMO is nicer than anything in Arlington, so how about those apples ?

Old 05-15-2008, 01:20 PM

Thanks, everybody. How's the commute from The Highlands to Fort Knox?

Old 05-15-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
All of those areas are historic, urban, liberal, and feed into good schools, with the exception of Beechmont/Southern Parkway. The Highlands IMO is nicer than anything in Arlington, so how about those apples ?
I'm sorry I meant the Southern parkway area, I wasn't referring to the others mentioned. I should have said that.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:50 PM

Thanks, Missymomof3! So, you're saying that the Southern Parkway area is a better fit. How can I search that neighborhood -- is there a zip code you can give me? Thanks!

Old 05-15-2008, 01:53 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallison123 View Post
Thanks, everybody. How's the commute from The Highlands to Fort Knox?
The fastest way would be to take Eastern Pky 3 miles to I-65 at mm 133. It would be 18 miles from there to the Dixie Hwy exit off the Gene Snyder Freeway, maybe another 15m to Ft Knox, making around a 35 mile commute.

Audubon Park would be 5 miles shorter (a 30 mile commute)

As for zip codes..

Clifton/ Crescent Hill - 40206
The Highlands - 40204 & 40205
Old Louisville - 40208
Audubon Park - 40217 & 40213
Southern Pky/ Iroqouis - 40214

Last edited by censusdata; 05-15-2008 at 02:03 PM..

Old 05-15-2008, 01:56 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,791,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallison123 View Post
Thanks, Missymomof3! So, you're saying that the Southern Parkway area is a better fit. How can I search that neighborhood -- is there a zip code you can give me? Thanks!
My personal opinion is that Southern Parkway is a better fit for you only in the sense that there will be a shorter commute. It will be a better fit in comparison to the surrounding neighborhoods, but not in comparison to what you are currently used to in Arlington, imo.

Honestly, Ft Knox is on the side of Jefferson County that is usually considered mid to lower class working, and much more conservative than the other areas discussed. To get a neighborhood you feel comfortable in, you may have to reconcile yourself to a 40 minute drive each way.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:06 PM

I am really not being clear today am I? I must be more tired than I thought, sorry! The Southern Parkway area is not the best as far as schools but there are beautiful areas there. Iroquois middle and high and Southern Leadership academy are not very good schools (at least not yet) and are in the area. I am also not too sure about how liberal an area it is. BUT it is the closest as far as commute is concerned. I hope this is clearer If you must do public schools, I would recommend trying to get your chikdren into the traditional program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area