Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 04:31 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,089,782 times

Advertisements

JTS where in SW Jefferson county is parkridge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 10:56 PM

12 posts, read 70,762 times
It Is On The Southern Edge Of Iroqouis Park.. Near Doss High School, Palatka, St Andrews And Manslick Roads.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:47 AM

ooh I have not noticed it. Those nice Condos on the hill are probably wonderful too.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 7,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckyyank View Post
AlanBoy395,

The easy thing to remember when you come to Louisville is this, stay away from the West End. That is where 85 percent of the crime in Louisville is. I would say anything north of the HWY 31/I-265 intersection and 10 miles up 31W is the place to avoid. The Rent in the East End will be higher then the west end, but the area and people is better and the crime is much, much lower.

The comment about the people in the East End being better than the people in the West End is too general. I am sure you did not mean such generalities in your post.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:23 AM

I have to say that in the Algonquin area in Park Duvall is a really nice area nowdays! Lots of large homes, condos, and townhouses, and a nice new buisness area. Not everywhere in the West end is bad!

Old 04-08-2008, 02:44 PM

19 posts, read 102,091 times
Smile Common sense

I am coming in afterwards so don't have complete thread but just wanted to say i have never had any problems downtown nor anyone in my Family. Of course we normally go for Broadway, Concerts at KY Center for the Arts, Plays, etc, park in the Garage and we have gone many times to walk along the River, parked in lots in surrounding area. To the Ballgames, No problems. We have also gone many times to Cunninghams to eat, no problems, Brown Hotel and parked in the Garages, no problems.

I have taken my Grandchildren there to eat and to see the Derby Parade without any Problems, same with Thunder. I believe it has more to do with Common Sense than anything. You don't run around downtown, Anywhere, USA at nite by yourself, that makes you an easy target.

I am surprised to see all these Opinions to avoid Downtown Louisville, or Louisville at all. As the one person said the West end and depending on certain areas of Downtown is where you will find the violence. Crime. You can get mugged anywhere if you wave your Wallet around with 100 dollar bills hanging out and huge diamonds on your fingers and you are hanging around street corners and alleys but it just takes that old thing Common sense to avoid trouble.

Newburg has it's crime also, gangs but i have never had a problem anywhere in Louisville and neither has any of my Family or Friends but we do not dabble in drugs, things that put you into high risk. I don't care where you live, if you are careless, asking for it, you will probably get it. If you mind your own business, stick to why you are there, you shouldn't have a problem.

As far as i knew most of Louisville except Newburg and the West End is not high crime or high risk.

We were born and raised in Louisville in the South End near Bullitt County and Gene Snyder. Of all the years we lived there we have never had any problems with break ins, robberies, muggings, nothing of that sort nor our Children, other Family members nor our Friends or Neighbors. So it must not be too bad or at least one of us would have had some problems in the Past, somewhere. It is probably one of the Cleaner Cities today and lowest of Crime Risks as i said as long as you are not looking to find trouble. With Drug deals, waving money around, trying to get mugged. Being dumb. I wouldn't go down there at night by myself as a Woman nor hang around street corners or walk through alleys. That would be dumb. Anywhere.

East end, Fern Creek, South of Gene Snyder off of Preston, where we lived for 50 yrs approx, also south of Bardstown Rd, Glenmary Area, Mt. Washington, much of the Highlands north of Watterson, Jtown, Brownsboro rd area, Plainview, all of those i consider safe areas as long as you use common sense. Louisville is a friendly town. Good people, of course you have some who ruin it for everyone else but mostly in west end or in the wrong place at the wrong time, asking for it.

Yes they will state Downtown this % of crime, that doesn't mean every part of downtown, every mile, that just means what they consider the Downtown area as a whole. Not where normal people hang out and live and work and go to enjoy ballgames, the River, dining on the River, thunder etc.

We talked about living in Old Louisville but i don't think i would be interested, i believe i would rather be in the East end of town, St. Matthews, Brownsboro Rd area, Hurstbourne rd, Plainview or south of Gene Snyder, off of Bardstown Rd or Mt. Washington. As far as i know those are all good areas.

We now live in Hollywood Fl, an area some of you would scream high crime, no way Jose, not in the area i live. We again have never had any problems here, whatsoever. It is very quiet and safe. No problems at all. Same way as far as Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Las Olas, South Beach, Delray Beach, you name it. Have gone to many festivals, events, anywhere and everywhere, no problems but we use common sense once again. I wear plenty of diamonds and gold but have never had any problems. I don't go by myself to most of that, with my Husband and we are home by 11-12 usually but i have been known to exit Hard Rock at all hours of the Night by myself and never had a problem.

Last edited by sun45; 04-08-2008 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-08-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Oracle View Post
The comment about the people in the East End being better than the people in the West End is too general. I am sure you did not mean such generalities in your post.
I don't think it was meant that way, i believe the post meant in general, east end is alot safer and better compared to the west end of town. If you are poor and are looking to cause problems, you have more in that category in the West end, than you do in most other areas of Louisville. IMHO. Like i said you can find trouble if looking for it or are careless anywhere but you have an excellent chance of it in parts of the West end of Town. I am sure there are many who live in the West end that are good respectable people who maintain their homes and live a good life. It is the many who live there who do not that cause all the Problems for everyone else and give the West end it's reputation and it's high crime stats, just ask the Metro Police, they can tell you that.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
I guess it depends on what you define as "downtown." But I agree with emanresu and missymom - I've walked in the downtown area for years at night and never once had any trouble. Main street is fine up through 9th street or so; Fourth is absolutely safe from Main to Broadway; Liberty, Muhammad Ali, etc, all the same, imo.

I guess once you get past Chestnut to the south and ninth to the west, I'd get nervous. But not the downtown business district.
I agree 100%. Stated correctly.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanresu View Post
Butchertown, Germantown, and general downtown are not unsafe. In fact, they are on par or better than Old Louisville in terms or crime, and comparable to the Highlands. Maybe you are thinking of Smoketown or Phoenix Hill?
We lived in Germantown, my Grandparents lived there and when we first married we rented the back half of their Shotgun home. I had no problems then back in the late 60's but i thought recently the area had declined? Alot of gang activity? East St. Catherine 1000 block is where my Grandparents lived. It used to be a very clean well kept up area. I don't believe i would feel safe there anymore. And something i learned about Old Louisville area while visiting for the St. James Art Show last October '07, the Airport apparently changed the Flight path of the UPS Planes, i heard someone point that out, the Planes were coming in so low while we were at the Art Show, you could see everything with the naked eye, on the planes and there were many doing that while we were at the Show. So that is one of the things that changed my views about buying in Old Louisville. Something to consider. Not sure what times this happens, if late at nite or not? When we noticed it, it was in the Afternoon.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieyky View Post
No offense taken - TAKEN ABACK - yes. Where in Lebanon Junction have you been? I am in no way upset or angry - simply concerned that perhaps classism is playing a role?

Our chief of police is a retired State Trooper, and I assure you he runs a very tight ship. No town is perfect - but other than domestic violence from some good ole' boy who has had to much to drink (which would make him a bad 'ole boy) - I cannot think of anything in this city that would cause me to be afraid to leave the doors unlocked, not walk down the street, etc.

I am so sorry you feel that way. In your line of work, the only thing I can think is that you are seeing the bad side of the poor life. Yes, people usually keep to themselves in that situation - don't know why - and no, Lebanon Junction is not by anymeans a rich town.

But - perhaps if you spent some time seeing the good side, the neighbors who still smile and wave, the Fire department who works their butt off, the police who are constantly cruising this town - maybe your opinion would be different.

And - honestly - if you think the west end of Louisville is better than L.J. - I absolutely need to take you on a walking tour. No stray bulletts in this area - pot smokers in remote areas maybe, growers - not sure - guns and gangs - not by a long shot.

AND - you guys also need to realize alot of the Lebanon Junction mailing address goes into Hardin county, and as far north as 10 miles. within that area you will find dirt poor people who are suspicious of city folk.

Tell you a funny srory - had a family down this week from Michigan. The dad was heading downtown Louisville to apply for a job. His wife and I were originally going to drive him since he did not know his way around, but we decided it would be better for him alone, gathering his thoughts, and - he had a good map. His interview DID take him to the west end - and he came back - so thankful to be back into L.J. - and said he would never ever let us go down there alone. This comment came after 2 weeks of spending time in L.J., walking, meeting the people, getting the feel.

So sorry you have had a bad experience - wish I could show you what you have missed.

Kimmiey

P.S. - had to add - I have raised my kids here, have lived here for over 20 years - I just cannot imagine where you have been. Please - let me know!
With L J, i am not aware of the crime rate there now but i do remember a few years back, could be 10? That L J was in alot of Drug Traffic, Drug Arrests. Not knocking whole town, just stating the facts as it was reported on the news back then. At least that is what i remember and think when i hear about L J. That is what comes to mind. My Husband said the Police and everyone was involved. I may be wrong and if i am it is good i brought this up, he is telling me it was Lebanon. See just shows what can happen, all these years i thought that all happened in L J. He said Lebanon used to be a big Drug Town and full of corruption including the Police dept. So excuse me and i apologize now before i am given a few smacks with a wet noodle lol. So sorry. At least if anyone else thinks same thing, i have cleared that up!! I honestly thought that is where that happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area