Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2008, 06:08 PM

4 posts, read 11,491 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a private elementary school for our 4 year old son for next year. After some research we came up with a list of schools that we have selected:
  • Ascension Elementary School
  • Holy Family School
  • Holy Spirit School
  • Holy Trinity Parish School
  • Our Savior Lutheran School
  • St. Raphael the Archangel Elementary School
  • Our Lady of Lourdes School
Do some of you have some good insight on those schools? We are from Europe and this concept of Christian/Religious Church associated to schools is very abstract for us. My wife and I are both christians but not to the extent of practicing every Sunday in a Church. Would we qualify as active Christian for a parish? Are some of those listed schools not too focused on religious aspects?
We are very broad in our research... Highlands, St Matthews and even East Side. We are also looking for affordable schools so anything like Chance, KCD or Walden would not fit with our budget...
Thanks guys for your help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 06:53 PM

666 posts, read 2,537,682 times
Have you looked at Christian Academy of Louisville? Out of your list, I would go with Holy Spirit or Holy Trinity schools, I have never heard anything but good things about either of these schools. Also, St. Patricks on Beckley Station Rd. and St. Aloysius in Pewee Valley are both very good schools. Being active in a parish basically means you are a parishoner there, so you have to sign up at the Church, but some churches/schools actually require you to volunteer at parish functions to be considered "active", youll just have to ask.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:57 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdierickx View Post
We are looking for a private elementary school for our 4 year old son for next year. After some research we came up with a list of schools that we have selected:
  • Ascension Elementary School
  • Holy Family School
  • Holy Spirit School
  • Holy Trinity Parish School
  • Our Savior Lutheran School
  • St. Raphael the Archangel Elementary School
  • Our Lady of Lourdes School
Do some of you have some good insight on those schools? We are from Europe and this concept of Christian/Religious Church associated to schools is very abstract for us. My wife and I are both christians but not to the extent of practicing every Sunday in a Church. Would we qualify as active Christian for a parish? Are some of those listed schools not too focused on religious aspects?
We are very broad in our research... Highlands, St Matthews and even East Side. We are also looking for affordable schools so anything like Chance, KCD or Walden would not fit with our budget...
Thanks guys for your help...
Unfortunately for Catholic parents, these schools provide little in the way of formal Catholic education. Also, their enrollments consist of a large percentage of non Catholic children as well as children of Catholics who are non practicing. So, from your persepctive, the Catholic religion will not be forced down your throat.

I think your list looks great, and I would honestly pick your house first, then your school. I agree with the above add ons too, but I would also look strongly at St. Agnes. If I were you and money were no issue, I would move within walking distance of St Agnes which has won several blue ribbon awards for excellence (as have St Rapheal and others on the list). St Agnes is in the Deer Park area of the Highlands and beautiful homes can be had in this area, Audubon Park, Tyler Park, and the Highlands-Douglass/Bonnycastle sections of the Highlands for very cheap.

The Highlands of Louisville, KY USA home page

The Highlands is the most urban, diverse area with all the safety of an outer ring suburb, and lots more charm and walkability.

If I were looking at suburbs, I would look at Welcome to Norton Commons, a Traditional Neighborhood Development in Prospect, Kentucky, which is building its own Catholic school, St Marys, which will open in a about 2 years on the site of the community. Nearby St Patrick is an excellent school in the interim. That said, I would really strongly lean toward the rewarding urban lifestyle found in the Highlands corridor, and go with St. Raphael or St. Agnes. In the Frankfort Ave/Lexington Avenue corridor, should you choose to live on Cherokee Park in say, Seneca Gardens, which is a highly desirable area for resale, then I would look at Holy Spirit too.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:34 PM

666 posts, read 2,537,682 times
The only REAL catholic education you get from these schools will be a religion class every day and usually a school-wide mass once a week, but like stx said, the Catholic religion will not be forced down yours or your child's throat. Catholic schools are very good if you want to be involved with your child's education, because there are a lot of opportunities to volunteer, that being said, it is in no way mandatory at most schools that you do volunteer.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:01 AM

4 posts, read 17,186 times
I would recommend Highlands Latin School on Frankfort Avenue. Excellent reputation, located in a safe neighborhood (Crescent Hill), traditional teaching methods. They are a christian school (whatever that means), so they could be a little closed minded in terms of world views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area