Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2009, 06:36 AM

257 posts, read 881,464 times

Advertisements

Hey board members!

I just thought it would be a very good idea if everyone could spice up the Louisville metro area's wikipedia pages. I've tried and contributed some new information to the Pleasure Ridge Park wikipedia page. I think it would be a great idea if everyone could contribute and update their respective city/suburban/annexed suburban areas on wikipedia (PRP, Fern Creek, Jeffersontown, Valley Station, Newburg, Prospect, Crestwood, LaGrange, Brooks, etc YOU GET THE IDEA!).

I think the "population percentage chart" that is found on the Pleasure Ridge Park and many many other city profiles on wikipedia is a great tool to copy and use so viewers can easily see population trends and increases/decreases. It would seem very progressive and advantageous if the Louisville region was well represented on wikipedia with accurate updates about what is happening in the surrounding communities. I always find it very pleasant when I visit nice, updated pages on wikipedia about areas.

Check out this page on the Oklahoma City Metro Area! I really envision something like this to happen. I like the layout and area descriptions a lot!
Oklahoma City metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hope everyone will help out.

I also think the Louisville page is unattractive in some areas and could use some work. I know it's been mentioned to somehow get a new picture of the city on wikipedia. I think that when you first click the Louisville wikipedia page, there is a lot of writing and random history of the city in that first introductory section. I don't really like this, maybe everyone else does. I envision something concise and to the point that states the current population and maybe a few other interesting facts. I don't really like having to scroll down so far to find population statistics. I know I'm probably being very picky, but I always think that at the start of a new year, it's good to always give anything a new, fresh start!

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 07:04 AM

Oh and by the way, I do love all of the pictures on the Louisville wiki page! Very nice.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:38 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bw87a View Post
Hey board members!

I just thought it would be a very good idea if everyone could spice up the Louisville metro area's wikipedia pages. I've tried and contributed some new information to the Pleasure Ridge Park wikipedia page. I think it would be a great idea if everyone could contribute and update their respective city/suburban/annexed suburban areas on wikipedia (PRP, Fern Creek, Jeffersontown, Valley Station, Newburg, Prospect, Crestwood, LaGrange, Brooks, etc YOU GET THE IDEA!).

I think the "population percentage chart" that is found on the Pleasure Ridge Park and many many other city profiles on wikipedia is a great tool to copy and use so viewers can easily see population trends and increases/decreases. It would seem very progressive and advantageous if the Louisville region was well represented on wikipedia with accurate updates about what is happening in the surrounding communities. I always find it very pleasant when I visit nice, updated pages on wikipedia about areas.

Check out this page on the Oklahoma City Metro Area! I really envision something like this to happen. I like the layout and area descriptions a lot!

I also think the Louisville page is unattractive in some areas and could use some work. I know it's been mentioned to somehow get a new picture of the city on wikipedia. I think that when you first click the Louisville wikipedia page, there is a lot of writing and random history of the city in that first introductory section. I don't really like this, maybe everyone else does. I envision something concise and to the point that states the current population and maybe a few other interesting facts. I don't really like having to scroll down so far to find population statistics. I know I'm probably being very picky, but I always think that at the start of a new year, it's good to always give anything a new, fresh start!

Thanks!

Send me a PM about this, I have some ideas.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:44 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Do you all have Wikipedia accounts? I've been the primary editor for a lot of local Wiki pages and contributed photos to many others.

I think these article are pretty good:
Old Louisville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Downtown Louisville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Butchertown, Louisville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Highlands_(Louisville)

Overall I really like U of L's page, although I've been trying to remove some POV comments and condense it, as it is a pretty large page
University of Louisville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bellarmine's could use several addition pictures
Bellarmine University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-03-2009, 04:48 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Do you really the OKC metro page that much? Did you mean the main OKC page - it's pretty cool?

Oklahoma City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW, I really love the "compass" at the bottom of every Lou neighborhood page

Old 01-03-2009, 04:48 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Do you all have Wikipedia accounts? I've been the primary editor for a lot of local Wiki pages and contributed photos to many others.

I think these article are pretty good:
Old Louisville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Downtown Louisville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Butchertown, Louisville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Highlands_(Louisville)

Overall I really like U of L's page, although I've been trying to remove some POV comments and condense it, as it is a pretty large page
University of Louisville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bellarmine's could use several addition pictures
Bellarmine University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No, I don't have one, but I would be happy to help you as I have lots of knowledge about the city. I have been asked to collaborate on the wiki for some chicago hoods as well.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Do you really the OKC metro page that much? Did you mean the main OKC page - it's pretty cool?

Oklahoma City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW, I really love the "compass" at the bottom of every Lou neighborhood page
Yes, I meant the metro page. I don't like how there isn't much population statistics as there is on the Louisville metro page, but I guess I meant that I like the descriptions of the regions/cities/suburbs that are located in the different directions from oklahoma city.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:33 AM

783 posts, read 1,162,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bw87a View Post
Hey board members!

Thanks!
Great idea, and it would be even better if more areas organized in this way... any Columbus, Georgia-Phenix City, Alabama folks out there reading this? Let's do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area