Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 05:16 AM

19 posts, read 70,772 times

Advertisements

It's cold and gloomy outside, I don't know about you but my mind begins to think forward to spring and summer! When I lived in New York summer vacations were usually spent driving to Cape Cod. I was wondering where Louisvillian's go to relax during the warmer months? Do you visit the beaches in the Carolina's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 05:56 AM

153 posts, read 538,275 times
I like Miami and the Carib. Islands. A vast majority of the people I know in Tn. and Ky go to the lake on the weekends. The lakes are plentiful and large so it is pleasant.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:13 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by native_newyorker View Post
It's cold and gloomy outside, I don't know about you but my mind begins to think forward to spring and summer! When I lived in New York summer vacations were usually spent driving to Cape Cod. I was wondering where Louisvillian's go to relax during the warmer months? Do you visit the beaches in the Carolina's?
I think for beaches most people hit the Florida panhandle, especially Destin. People around here love lakes in the summer though, and KY has good ones. Myself? You can have all that. I go back to Chicago to take architecture tours or up to New York to explore unseen gentrifying parts of Brooklyn, etc.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:38 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
I'm not a snow bird myself, I've heard the Louisvillians really hit the Panhandle of Florida (esp Panama City) during this time of year.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:52 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
I don't know many who travel this time of year but the ones who do, it's Florida

Old 01-05-2009, 06:07 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,454,392 times
I agree. Panama City to Pensacola with Destin in the middle. This was a popular spot, but St Petes/Clearwater too.

If its the Altantic side I think people here go to Daytona.

Another popular far-away spot was Gatlinburg/Pigeon Fordge.

Closer in it was the lakes. We would go to Rough River or Barren River (to the lodge sometimes for an extended weekend). People had cabins on Rough River and Nolin. One neighbor had a place on Kentucky Lake, which was a fer piece.

We would also take longer vacatons at the lodges in Eastern KY...we liked Jenny Wiley and Greenbo Lake.

The state resort parks were nice. We liked those.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:45 PM

19 posts, read 70,772 times
Thank you all for your helpful comments! I'm trying to plan for the summer or spring vacations. Do you drive to these places mentioned in Florida? How long does that take? I was thinking the Carolina's might be closer and still nice for summer retreats? I'm interested in the closer lakes mentioned too. I've heard the lakes are great but didn't know which ones everyone went to... thanks for info! :-)

Old 01-05-2009, 08:59 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
I'd say the Florida Panhandle is a 12 hour drive from Louisville or so. I can get to Mobile AL from Lexington in 12 & Louisville is a more direct trip to there

Old 01-05-2009, 09:05 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
Since my step daughter's husband is in the Army and stationed at Ft. Jackson, S. C., we've gone to Myrtle Beach a few times. We found North Myrtle Beach a lot cleaner and nicer than Myrtle Beach. Off season is nice too! We spent a weekend at North Myrtle on the 5th floor (2 queen beds and a sleeper sofa) with a balcony overlooking the ocean for $117 for the weekend. Wasn't super fancy, but it was clean and nice. Stove, fridge and microwave in the room. Drove there from here in a little over 11 hours.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:35 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I'd say the Florida Panhandle is a 12 hour drive from Louisville or so. I can get to Mobile AL from Lexington in 12 & Louisville is a more direct trip to there
Nope. It is 10 max to destin. Big speeders make it in under 9 hours.

louisville ky - Google Maps F-8&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=image

Google places it at 10 hours 30 minutes, but this assumes speed limits or under. If you average 80 mph, you will make it in well under 10 hours, even with stops. Most people drive down there.

The Carolina beaches are actually about 100 miles further to NC and about 50 miles further to the SC beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area