Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2009, 02:27 PM

4 posts, read 9,696 times

Advertisements

Moving to area soon and would like some advice. From upstate South Carolina and have been living in Roseville, CA (suburb NE of Sac) for 3 years. Relocated with job and now being relocated again. 28 y/o Newlyweds (6mths) and this will be second move for wife in just over 1 year(Raleigh, NC). I see that East of city seems to be most popular on board. We are looking to live in newer area and eventually buy home around other young couples. We are fine with cookie cutter suburbs coming from CA and don't plan on getting too attached with house b/c relocation could happen in another 3 years or so.

Where you are working
Outside sales based in home office.

-How much you are willing to spend on housing
Up to 1200 for 3bd room, but would like to stay around 1000 or less to save and buy home in 6-12 months and wife may not be able to transfer and will be looking for employment. Moving from our 1st home only lived in a year. Would prefer to rent house, or townhouse/condo, but from reading here looks like apartment will be end result.
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
Will not matter at this point. Not sure of location of my customer base and wife may not transfer with current employer.

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
No kids yet.

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
Wife prefers suburban areas as that is where we are living now.
-Community amenities important to you
Wife wants to be close to shopping (malls, outlet, big box) as well as dining out.

-Pie or cake?
Pie apple
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 05:54 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,316,239 times
If your home is an instrument of your investment plans, Oldham County (40026, 40011, 40014, 40056) is best, followed by 40223, 40241, 40059, & 40245 in Jefferson County. Many people on this forum will recommend that you will want to look at the Highlands (40205). I can't and won't disagree, but home values there won't offer the opportunity to gain as greatly as those areas I just listed.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:34 PM

666 posts, read 2,538,395 times
St. Matthews and the Highlands home prices are actually increasing at a higher rate than most other areas in and around Louisville.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:59 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,751,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
St. Matthews and the Highlands home prices are actually increasing at a higher rate than most other areas in and around Louisville.
you are absolutely right. all this while homes in the east end and oldham sit on the market over twice as long.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:05 PM

666 posts, read 2,538,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
you are absolutely right. all this while homes in the east end and oldham sit on the market over twice as long.
tell me about it, thats why im not selling my home anytime soon, even though i would love to live in st. matthews.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:02 PM

I've been looking at area near McNeely park. Is this far from shopping/dining? Also is there anything else anyone can share about this area?

Old 04-28-2009, 02:15 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,751,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Tigeralum View Post
I've been looking at area near McNeely park. Is this far from shopping/dining? Also is there anything else anyone can share about this area?
Yes, you don't want to live that far out here. This isn't sprawville like California. You want to rent right?

Locations Louisville, Jeffersontown, Shelbyville, Taylorsville, Crestwood, Oldham Co., Prospect, Hil - Louisville Relocation Services

I would choose among these. Based on what you are saying, I would choose Camden Oxmoor, Mallard Crossing, or the Crowne at the Summit. Period. Nice suburbs. Clean, safe, and not too far out. I would lean towards Camden Oxmoor if you want a beautiful setting while being able to walk to a mall. I would try to see if any places offers a 6 month rental for corporate relocation, and then I would try to buy a home and get the 8,000 tax credit (must close by December 1).

Old 04-28-2009, 09:04 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,806,863 times
I'm thinking of a suburban area that is centralized to everything, has relatively decent traffic flow, beautiful parks, and proximity to good public and great private schools...

Ding, ding, ding! St. Matthews and Lyndon both fit the bill! Especially with St. Matthews, home values (I imagine) are increasing more than much of the Louisville Metro area b/c of people's desire to once again live closer to the central city. You're ten minutes from Downtown, Highlands, Crescent Hill, and Clifton, my favorite areas of the city.

Lyndon's slightly further out on LaGrange and Westport Roads and feels more late 1960s suburbanish, but it's clean and nice and I wouldn't actually mind living there. You have safe neighborhoods, clean streets and a family house and yard in St. Matthews and Lyndon.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:13 PM

I will rent temporarily if I have to. My relocation package will pay for closing cost with in six months of move so I would look to buy quickly. I specifically have looked on line at the Ball Homes in McNeely area (Cooper Farms/Cedar meadows) and in Polo Fields area(FlatRock Ridge). Also looked at Dominion homes online in billington farms j-town area. I owned in CA so the tax credit won't apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area