Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 03:13 PM

55 posts, read 272,047 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family and I are relocating to Oldham County in the next month and are purchasing a home in Buckner. Where exactly is the correctional facility and what is the security level? Our realtor said it was 3-4 miles away and that it wasn't a max. security facility - that it was a low security level. Is there anyone who lives in the area that can give me some insight? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 05:09 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,454,806 times
It's a minimum security facility with, I think, a prison hospital.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:43 PM

666 posts, read 2,538,193 times
The Kentucky State Reformatory is a medium security prison, there are also 2 other medium/minimal security correctional complexes in LaGrange. Here's the KY Corrections website... http://www.corrections.ky.gov/instfac/

Old 12-14-2009, 05:45 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,315,331 times
There are three separate prisons on the farm just outside of LaGrange. The Roederrer Correction Center is a minimum security facility. All the orange suited men working on the farm and nearby are trustees on a form of work release. They are typically check forgers, child support felon's etc. They provide valuable services to the Oldham County public in park maintenance, storm clean-up, and many other services.

On the northeastern side of the farm is the psychiatric prison. Those men are criminally insane and in very secure confinement.

In the central part of the farm is the Kentucky State Reformatory. There are some really bad boys there. Bad enough to be securely confined, but not so bad as the typical prisoner will eventually have an opportunity to return to society.

And don't forget there is the Kentucky Women's Prison just over the Oldham/Shelby County line south of Pewee Valley.

Ok, all that being said, to my knowledge, no one has escaped from anywhere but Roederrer (remember the prison without walls?). Two mentally superior men decided they'd had enough a couple years ago and decided the way out of KSR was to hitch a ride in a garbage truck. They found the genius' bodies in a very compact form at the landfill.

All this to say, you are much more likely to be hurt mowing your lawn than by an escapee from any of the Oldham County area prison facility.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:21 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,792,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
And don't forget there is the Kentucky Women's Prison just over the Oldham/Shelby County line south of Pewee Valley.
I live about 300 yards from there and have never had a single problem. We can even hear their loud speaker on occasion due to an acoustical bounce. (When they announce "lock-down for the night" my wife tells me it's time to go to my cell!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
All this to say, you are much more likely to be hurt mowing your lawn than by an escapee from any of the Oldham County area prison facility.
I completely agree.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:29 AM

55 posts, read 272,047 times
Thanks for the input. We are moving from CT where we have 1 max prison but that is about 45 min away so I never had to think much about it. We actually bought in Darby Pointe away from the hwy and are pretty excited about it. I just needed some additional reassurance about the correctional facility situation. Also, I've read in some other threads about Buckner that there was supposed to be some building of a mall of some sort - Buckner Crossings maybe? Is that on hold? The only other draw back to Buckner that I saw was that there simply isn't much there but access to places like The Summit and groceries was pretty good. We are just used to being able to hop in the car and drive 2 min to get almost anything we need. Of course, we are slightly over-crowded up here!

Old 12-15-2009, 10:05 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,792,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaney72 View Post
The only other draw back to Buckner that I saw was that there simply isn't much there but access to places like The Summit and groceries was pretty good. We are just used to being able to hop in the car and drive 2 min to get almost anything we need. Of course, we are slightly over-crowded up here!
I think you've hit on the age-old trade off for a more rural area. More affordable homes, beautiful scenery, less crowded; and on the other hand, more isolated, fewer amenities.

My personal preference is for areas like this. I like the semi-rural feel with big city amenities just 30 minutes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area