Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2010, 01:34 PM

2 posts, read 9,925 times

Advertisements

My wife, 2 kids and I will be relocating to Louisville in June and are very interested in the Old Louisville area. We want to experience a neighborhood before buying just so we make the right choice so a short term lease would be ideal. We don't want to pay more than $1200 a month and know that we will probably be getting a 2 bedroom. My kids will be going to a private school and my wife will be working as a nurse, I am a social worker but not sure what the job market holds for me right now.

I would like to know where the best place to look for an apartment in Old Louisville, I have tried craigslist and it's a mixed bag.

I would also like to know how best to mix in and make new friends. My kids are 8 and 2 and we are very social people. This is a big move for us and we literally know no one. I know the Highlands and St. Matthews area would be ideal for them but we absolutely love the houses in Old Louisville and especially the prices!!!

Any help would be appreciated for this newbie to Louisville!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 04:03 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay282202 View Post
My wife, 2 kids and I will be relocating to Louisville in June and are very interested in the Old Louisville area. We want to experience a neighborhood before buying just so we make the right choice so a short term lease would be ideal. We don't want to pay more than $1200 a month and know that we will probably be getting a 2 bedroom. My kids will be going to a private school and my wife will be working as a nurse, I am a social worker but not sure what the job market holds for me right now.

I would like to know where the best place to look for an apartment in Old Louisville, I have tried craigslist and it's a mixed bag.

I would also like to know how best to mix in and make new friends. My kids are 8 and 2 and we are very social people. This is a big move for us and we literally know no one. I know the Highlands and St. Matthews area would be ideal for them but we absolutely love the houses in Old Louisville and especially the prices!!!

Any help would be appreciated for this newbie to Louisville!!!!!
Anywhere closest to the north edge of the University of Louisville is the nicest and safest parts. Also, the same can be said for the area around St James Court. Along with Belgravia Court, these are the showcases of the area. I would hold out to find something in these areas. There is some crime in the area, mostly petty, and some drug activity, but it is a wonderful diverse area and there are several other families like yourself with young children, although not nearly like you'd find in the Highlands or St Matthews.

I'd try renting a flat on one of the 2nd or 3rd floors on or near those streets. Also make sure you know know the parking situation, which can be tough. What a wonderful area. Stay away from Broadway Managment. They are slumlords. Enjoy!

This listing is a little old, and a bit pricey, but look at all you get:

Huge 4 BR, near UofL (http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/1627859623.html - broken link)

If you find places, run them by me and I will be happy to help you. It will likely take looking at a dozen or more rentals to find one you like. SOme are not nearly as updated as they might seem in pics, and some or on streets which can be mix or match if you get the drift. Explore explore. You must be an urbanite to love this area so dont be afraid.

Also, it is hard to pass on listings like the following in the much more walkable Original Highlands, which is central to all of Louisville's urban nabes (which include but not limited to downtown, old louisville, beechmont, butchertown, clifton, crescent hill, highlands, audubon park, germantown, heart of st matthews):

http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/1624703796.html (broken link)

This may be a litle close to a very loud bar scene though....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area