Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 03:44 PM

687 posts, read 1,945,658 times

Advertisements

We just accepted a job in Louisville without ever having been there or seen it. The only thing I knew about Kentucky was that they build Corvettes there and they have the Kentucky Derby. So it's not that unusual for folks to move without an in-person visit. I've lived in Chicago, LA, Oklahoma City and Madrid, Spain to name a few places - so Louisville will be fine I'm sure. I did a lot of research and was mostly concerned with the cost-of-living and taxes. These seem to be reasonable.

Based upon the many valuable comments on this forum, we'll probably get a house in Oldham county - but not too far out since the job is at SDF. I found at least 20 houses that look good in our price range. My only concern is that I be able to sell again in 3 - 4 years without a loss. No telling what will happen in the economy, but I think Kentucky is being "discovered" by boomers from both coasts, so property values should remain stable. Besides, if we like it we may stay permanently.

I'll be out for a house hunting trip next month and hope to buy a place then. Unfortunately, my wife will have to rely on my judgment and pics that I email her because she can't accompany me. She has given me a list of "must haves" IE 3 car garage, granite counters, pantry, dr etc. so I have a pretty good roadmap. Need to make sure it's not in a flood zone too.

I think you have made the right decision and you should be able to live well on your income in Kentucky. Good luck.

Croce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 03:54 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,749,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandljoy View Post
What is downtown Louisville like? Are there nice apartments or homes near downtown? Is it safe and do they have movie theaters, gyms and shopping?
Downtown is undergoing a massive renaissance. Daily, construction churns, businesses move in, and nightlife and restuarant options grow. 2000 condo units have been added in the last few years just in downtown proper. The market is hot for downtown condos and apartments, and prices are starting to reflect it. There are some very livable neighborhoods once you get outside downtown too. Old Louisville, Germantown, the Highlands, Butchertown, Clifton, and Crescent Hill are among the favorites. Say you live in an apartment in Cherokee Triangle, a sub neighborhood in the Highlands. You could walk for coffee, groceries, bars, a gym, women's boutiques, shops, ethnic eats, indie theatres, even fast food or cheap eats. Literally, everything is right at your door.

Currently, there are billions of dollars in development downtown. Some of the most impressive projects about to begin include:

a 62 story avant gard skyscraper:

Museum Plaza - Creating A Place In Louisville's Architectural Character..

a 1500 unit midrise waterfront marina community:

RiverPark Louisville Kentucky, Lofts and Luxury Condos

a new $450 million dollar, multi purpose arena:

Louisville Arena Authority

and an upscale retail development:

Iron Quarter | Louisville, KY

There is so much going on that even many locals except people like me even know all the construction going on.

Currently, the biggest problem with downtown is not safety. The area is very safe and well lit, and one of the cleanest downtowns I have ever seen for its size. You will even see city ambassadors in blue shirts on bike patrols and literally sweeping the sidewalks with brooms. The area west of 9th street is not very nice, but that is not part of downtown.

If you have any further interests in specfic streets or apartment complexes, in the downtown and inner ring urban areas, let me know and I can help you.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:25 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,873,576 times
Croce,

Everyone is different. We could never in a million yrs move anywhere without seeing it first. If you are from the suburbs, I guess any suburb will be like the last one you lived in. Since we are city dwellers, and our move will be a drastic change in lifestyle, we are VERY picky. I can't imagine sending my husband to buy our next home, but not everyone is like me.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:32 PM

117 posts, read 518,349 times
Oldham County's median family income is $70,000+, so I would exactly worry about depreciation

Old 06-18-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post
We just accepted a job in Louisville without ever having been there or seen it. The only thing I knew about Kentucky was that they build Corvettes there and they have the Kentucky Derby. So it's not that unusual for folks to move without an in-person visit. I've lived in Chicago, LA, Oklahoma City and Madrid, Spain to name a few places - so Louisville will be fine I'm sure. I did a lot of research and was mostly concerned with the cost-of-living and taxes. These seem to be reasonable.

Based upon the many valuable comments on this forum, we'll probably get a house in Oldham county - but not too far out since the job is at SDF. I found at least 20 houses that look good in our price range. My only concern is that I be able to sell again in 3 - 4 years without a loss. No telling what will happen in the economy, but I think Kentucky is being "discovered" by boomers from both coasts, so property values should remain stable. Besides, if we like it we may stay permanently.

I'll be out for a house hunting trip next month and hope to buy a place then. Unfortunately, my wife will have to rely on my judgment and pics that I email her because she can't accompany me. She has given me a list of "must haves" IE 3 car garage, granite counters, pantry, dr etc. so I have a pretty good roadmap. Need to make sure it's not in a flood zone too.

I think you have made the right decision and you should be able to live well on your income in Kentucky. Good luck.

Croce
I have been following Louisville real estate for several years, and I have never seen a depreciation in the overall homes. The only people losing money on homes (not many) are ones not making very wise buys.

Realize the the fastest appreciation is actually in the condo market in urban areas. St. Matthews currently has the highest appreciation. I believe the only cities experiencing 1 year home depreciation are boom towns on the coasts and rustbelt towns with struggling economies like Rochester, NY.

If Louisville starts booming, there is a potential to make a lot of money on real etstate here, but I don't think anyone is making a lot of money off it now, but they certainly are not losing money.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:28 AM

18 posts, read 86,471 times
Can anyone tell me about the Cresent Centre Apartments in downtown Louisville on South 3rd? Is it nice and safe? Is it near amenities like movies, food places, shopping, doctor's office, etc?

Old 06-22-2007, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandljoy View Post
Can anyone tell me about the Cresent Centre Apartments in downtown Louisville on South 3rd? Is it nice and safe? Is it near amenities like movies, food places, shopping, doctor's office, etc?
It is nice, upscale, and safe. There are many theatres downtown but no cinema. To see first rate films it is a 2 mile drive from Crescent Centre to Baxter Theatres (7 minutes). I think downtown will get a cinema soon, though. Downtown has myriad upscale, low scale, and regular restuarants plus cultural opportunities, museums, etc.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:02 AM

11 posts, read 133,338 times
Default Louisville

If you have pets Louisville is not pet friendly.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaterbuni View Post
If you have pets Louisville is not pet friendly.
Why, because of the pet ordinance? There is no doggy patrol in Louisville. In theory, the pet ordinance is stupid, I agree. But will it affect the average pet owner? No way. I walk my dog downtown everyday and even let him run at river road parks. No problema

Old 06-23-2007, 04:37 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,315,331 times
stx12499, you are sadly mistaken by the pet ordinance hurting Louisville. Already it has taken more out of the community's pocket book than you can imagine. Highwaterbuni, whether right or wrong, expressed her fears and those are real fears. The several kennel clubs that normally bring 1000's of canines and their money spending owners did a real disappearing act on the economy this year following the vote to enact such a poorly written city law. We are Lab breeders and we wouldn't begin to expect others to bring their pup's to town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area