Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 06:55 AM

10 posts, read 18,641 times

Advertisements

Hello All, I'm glad I found this forum. I'm relocating to Macon in the middle of August from Toronto, Canada due to family reasons. My wife will be attending Mercer.

I'm currently job hunting in Macon and wondering what are the prospects like for the media industry. My background in TV broadcasting, Corporate Video production (company testimonials, training videos etc), Education/Training videos (producing videos for School Boards), I produce a wide variety of video content for various small businesses and also do the occasional wedding videos here and there. I shoot music videos as well for indie artists.

I'm also looking at positions in ATL since that's the media hub in GA. I'm wondering how practical or feasible it is to commute to ATL from Macon on a daily basis.

Thanks for your help!!
Phew I'm missing Toronto already....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 10:32 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,258,422 times
I am not knowledgeable about the media industry, but as far as the commute question goes...here is my take on that. Commuting to Atlanta daily from Macon is painful. Depending on the time of day you are looking at a minimum of 75 minutes (from far north Macon next to the interstate to downtown ATL), but that is on weekends and the middle of the night. Commute time during rush hours would be easily 90 to 120 mins with some days longer.

If your wife could be about a 30 minute commute from Mercer, you could move to Forsyth in Monroe County or a bit further north and make the commute to Atlanta slightly easier. Either way finding a place as close to I-75 as possible will make all the difference in the world.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:46 PM

Thanks for that info MGM. That sounds painful and I don't like driving at all. I have the luxury of living 5mins drive from my job here so to jump to that much will be tough.

Something I picked up on your post I would appreciate is if you know any other counties around Mercer/Macon. I now know Monroe County is in the area and I'm going to research the towns within and see if I can make something happen.
Thanks.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:26 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,258,422 times
If Atlanta is where you will have to work, you might want to look at Butts County(Jackson) as well. A little longer commute for your wife to Mercer, but yet easier (still long though) to Atlanta. Once you get to Butts County, the folks on the Atlanta board would be more helpful with exact commute times to downtown Atlanta. Be forewarned that all of the towns between Macon and Atlanta are very small, coming from Toronto, that may be a bit of a shock, but going to Macon will be a shock from Toronto for that matter.

Good Luck.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:54 PM

We've considered living in between ATL and Macon.
Yeah I can only imagine the shock. I have to wait and see how this all pans out.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:29 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
As far as commuting, it will be MUCH easier for your wife to commute from Atlanta area to Macon, than the other way around, because of traffic. Also, you could consider commuting to the closest MARTA station in south ATL and ride the train to your workplace. Once you've started narrowing down prospective employers you can start looking up train stations and further narrow your choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon