Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 06:58 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times

Advertisements

So we have Bronson, Brown, Cousino, Ellis, and Reichert all running for Mayor. Who is voting for whom and why?

I'll start off with who I'm NOT voting for: all of them, because I reside in Bibb County. I am furious that I don't get to take part in an election that could turn Macon on its ear.

I agreed on consolidation, because of this fact alone. I know a lot of County folk that didn't want consolidation because they didn't want to be counted amongst "the blacks of Macon". Which is totally backwards, if you ask me. This isn't about us-against-them. It's about all of us, together, building a city that is safe, and beautiful, and a tourist stop on the map of Georgia that people actually want to come and visit, and maybe even stay!

I realize it's too late for this election to be concerned about consolidation, but it is my hope that in the future, everybody works together to become one people.

Bibb County encompasses the City of Macon. Embrace it! for it is the only way we will get a voice in how our beautiful city is run.

What say you?

Last edited by convextech; 06-17-2011 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 02:09 PM

562 posts, read 1,126,688 times
This is going to be a hard race to handicap. I was in Macon on yesterday for a wedding, and in talking to my uncle who's lived in Macon all of his life, even he was hard pressed to say there was a clear leader in the Mayor's race. As an outsider, I'll say that Macon has a lot of potential for growth with the right political leadership. IMHO, Macon, as a city has underachieved in recent years.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:33 PM

38 posts, read 51,417 times
First of all, "our" city is not beautiful. It may have been 40 years ago, but has deteriorated into a pathetic gathering of mostly thugs now.

The mayor race has pretty much limited itself to a cripple fight, with none of them offering anything but hot air & lies. It will more than likely continue it's downward spiral.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,688 times
This is really a sad commentary on the people of Macon & Bibb County...and not so much on the politicians. You complain but probably spend more time choosing a restaurant than choosing who to vote for. So here you have a City in the center of the State that could and should be a truly great place to live, work and attract businesses if only you self-centered folks would simply work together. I guess it's not so simple. Years of racial turmoil, poor decision making by all, cheating yourselves out of better lives and playing the blame game have paralyzed Macon and a lot of the people who live there. It is the City that you have made it to be..take a bow! P.S.: If I could vote there (and I can't), it would probably be for Robert Brown. I only hope he still has the common sense, sharp mind and the quick wit that he had years ago. But of course before Election Day I would spend a little time finding that out.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenda Hilliard View Post
This is really a sad commentary on the people of Macon & Bibb County...and not so much on the politicians. You complain but probably spend more time choosing a restaurant than choosing who to vote for. So here you have a City in the center of the State that could and should be a truly great place to live, work and attract businesses if only you self-centered folks would simply work together. I guess it's not so simple. Years of racial turmoil, poor decision making by all, cheating yourselves out of better lives and playing the blame game have paralyzed Macon and a lot of the people who live there. It is the City that you have made it to be..take a bow! P.S.: If I could vote there (and I can't), it would probably be for Robert Brown. I only hope he still has the common sense, sharp mind and the quick wit that he had years ago. But of course before Election Day I would spend a little time finding that out.
You had me happy until the Robert Brown comment. He's every bit as awful as C. Jack, and you have to TRY to be that crappy - it just doesn't come honestly.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,688 times
Really surprised about that! Don't know Jack Ellis but on my visits to Macon and reading the on-line version of the Telegraph ...he would not get my vote. Sometimes politicians don't know when or how to move on and voters don't know how to let them go. It appears that Reichert got off to a slow start but I don't know him at all. I wouldn't take your word about Robert Brown either. I would have to do a bit of reseach on all of them. Stay involved, don't just throw bricks. Get out there and really listen. You have passion & could be a valuable source for your fellow readers.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenda Hilliard View Post
Really surprised about that! Don't know Jack Ellis but on my visits to Macon and reading the on-line version of the Telegraph ...he would not get my vote. Sometimes politicians don't know when or how to move on and voters don't know how to let them go. It appears that Reichert got off to a slow start but I don't know him at all. I wouldn't take your word about Robert Brown either. I would have to do a bit of reseach on all of them. Stay involved, don't just throw bricks. Get out there and really listen. You have passion & could be a valuable source for your fellow readers.

Well - I love this old place, but I'm absolutely sick & tired about how it has totally gone to hell. There are a LOT of people (like this brentyoung cat) that paint it as a perfect place, and I don't know if it's something they're smoking, or rather them just being extremely naive. Once you look at how Macon is doing on some of these "Top 101" lists (that are on this site), it's totally embarrassing.

I'd love to see Macon do better, but it's going to take a LOT more than just sticking heads in the sand!

Old 07-13-2011, 07:57 AM

178 posts, read 499,660 times
Let me try to break this down into simple terms for you.
Hypothetical.
If you have a car that's half blue and half black, lol you cant describe the entire car as only being blue.
Macon is not homogeneous. The crime rate and quality of life varies depending on where exactly you are within the city.
The fear mongering tone in your posts describes the Macon that exist in craphole neighborhoods that are off of Broadway, 2nd St, or somewhere of the such.
That BS you're spewing is NOT true for areas such as Riverside Dr, Pierce Ave, Zebulon Rd, Bass Rd, etc.
Stop telling one side of the story. There are several "this whole city is bad, if you even stop for gas you'll get mugged" trolls like you that do this to all cities.

Stay out of the ghetto, and more than likely you'll be fine. I dont need a "top 101" list to tell me that. When I stayed in North Macon, I wouldnt even know about 95% of the crime I read in the paper or local websites, because I figured out something very hard and difficult to do. It's called choosing to stay in a nice neighborhood and not hanging out in slum areas or town.

Last edited by brentyoung12; 07-13-2011 at 08:07 AM..

Old 07-13-2011, 10:11 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Troll, you've made it pretty clear how you feel about Macon. And in another post you made it clear that you don't live here; you live in Columbus. So why are you posting on threads about my cty when you aren't even from here? Get over yourself. Nobody cares what trolls like you think or say, once they've heard it more than once in two different threads.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentyoung12 View Post
Let me try to break this down into simple terms for you.
Hypothetical.
If you have a car that's half blue and half black, lol you cant describe the entire car as only being blue.
Macon is not homogeneous. The crime rate and quality of life varies depending on where exactly you are within the city.
The fear mongering tone in your posts describes the Macon that exist in craphole neighborhoods that are off of Broadway, 2nd St, or somewhere of the such.
That BS you're spewing is NOT true for areas such as Riverside Dr, Pierce Ave, Zebulon Rd, Bass Rd, etc.
Stop telling one side of the story. There are several "this whole city is bad, if you even stop for gas you'll get mugged" trolls like you that do this to all cities.

Stay out of the ghetto, and more than likely you'll be fine. I dont need a "top 101" list to tell me that. When I stayed in North Macon, I wouldnt even know about 95% of the crime I read in the paper or local websites, because I figured out something very hard and difficult to do. It's called choosing to stay in a nice neighborhood and not hanging out in slum areas or town.

You've received statistics on Macon. You choose to stuff your head firmly in the sand, just as so many others around here do. Macon shall remain the same way as long as people like you do as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon