Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 08:17 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,533,867 times

Advertisements

Exactly its just common sense
The I-14 project will only help Georgia's Economy
So there is really no turning down
They Have to approve of this Interstate as Well as I-3
both of these will have a big impact on Georgia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 08:28 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,320,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
The deepening of the port is a game-change, the state is banking on it.
The deepening of the port is being done just to maintain current traffic levels. The big new ships will be delivering the same amount of cargo, just in larger, less frequent shipments. We are deepening our port so that we don't lose our existing business.

The only "game changing" is in the bank accounts of the construction companies that secured the contracts for this project.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:55 AM

934 posts, read 1,347,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
The deepening of the port is being done just to maintain current traffic levels. The big new ships will be delivering the same amount of cargo, just in larger, less frequent shipments. We are deepening our port so that we don't lose our existing business.

The only "game changing" is in the bank accounts of the construction companies that secured the contracts for this project.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has proposed a plan to dredge and deepen the Savannah River to accommodate the higher traffic and bigger ships that will accompany the expansion of the Panama Canal in 2014.

Panel set up to represent SC wades into Savannah port issues | The Augusta Chronicle

Old 08-04-2012, 05:12 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
I-14 and I-3 are on a list of several interstate highways that congressmen and senators jumped on and got initial approval to add to the interstate highway system. That is all that was done, the preliminary admittance onto future routes. The big thing that wasn't approved then and hasn't been approved yet: FUNDING.

I am not hating on anyone, but these roads have little chance of coming online anytime soon. The Fall Line Freeway has been on the books for decades, all it is for the most part is taking a series of existant state and US two lane highways and adding two more lanes to them and it has taken the best part of 3 decades and the thing still isn't completed.

To upgrade this two laned road network up to interstate standards will take bucket loads of money. Every level crossing will have to be converted to overpasses. Entry points will be limited to entry/exit ramps. Medians and sholders will have to be rebuilt. Dozens of small towns will have to be bypassed (or great portions of them wiped away). It would probably be less expensive to build an all new interstate system at interstate grade from scratch, it would certainly be easier.

What would be more cost efficient would be to extend 16 to Columbus and then join 85 at Auburn and then have 85 extend west from Montgomery to Meridian Mississippi. I know this leaves the Macon to Augusta stretch without interstate connection but the east/west routes would come into being this way.

I say I 3 is more important at this point. It needs to go from Savannah to Augusta then to Athens, Gainesville, Rome and connect to Huntsville, AL. The portion thru the mountains to Knoxville is what is holding this one up, but Huntsville wants more interstate access and north and east Georgia need a loop that avoids Atlanta.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:29 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Neither of these interstates will become reality in our lifetimes. New interstates just aren't being built -- fact

Old 08-05-2012, 02:21 PM

You all are so slow, haha
All cities work together to make an interstate happen
they all put there money into it
and interstates don't wipe away small cities
they make them bigger cities
How slow of you all, you all make me laugh
and they call me the young one

Old 08-05-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Kid View Post
You all are so slow, haha
All cities work together to make an interstate happen
they all put there money into it
and interstates don't wipe away small cities
they make them bigger cities
How slow of you all, you all make me laugh
and they call me the young one
What money? The city's money? Why would any city put up money for work outside their city?

Go read up on the Eisenhower Interstate Highway System and see how it is funded.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
What money? The city's money? Why would any city put up money for work outside their city?

Go read up on the Eisenhower Interstate Highway System and see how it is funded.
With that being said those interstates must not go through the city .....
they must be paid by the state.....
If any interstate goes through a city then that's when they pay for the construction.....

Old 08-08-2012, 07:59 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,846,349 times
The original 1940's interstate plan.

I blame the GDOT for not finishing the job,now they are needed.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
The original 1940's interstate plan.

I blame the GDOT for not finishing the job,now they are needed.
Except you wouldn't won't Augusta so cut off from the rest of the state like this plan shows, would you? What a gaping hole going east from Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon