Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 06:03 PM

4 posts, read 10,092 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I recently got a great promotion and will be moving to the beautiful state of Georgia. I am single 27 yr old hispanic male with no kids and moving from Los Angeles, CA. I am excited and loved my last visit to Savannah. My new office will be in Macon, GA and need help trying to figure out what neighborhood should I move to. From what I've read in other posts it seems like Macon has many different neighboring areas with different cultures. Some being more family oriented, others having a larger military population and others having more of an elderly population. As for downtown Macon it seems like there are two extremes. Either people love it or they hate it.
I believe in being diverse so I enjoy the countryside, the city, staying home and going to clubs, bars and cultural events. I guess im looking for an area where i can have fun gatherings at my house until 12am but also have peace durring the week. Thanks to all in advance for the help.

Alex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 10:51 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,916,180 times
Well, Macon is not Savannah, sadly. That said, I think there are many endearing things about the city. And you're only an hour from Atlanta!

I'd look in the College Hill neighborhood near Mercer University or Ingleside. Both are great neighborhoods. If you prefer a slightly more suburban feel, the area out by Wesleyan College is very nice.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the help!

Ingleside does seem like a good neighborhood. I'm definitely going to check into Wesleyan. What is the weather like in Central Georgia durring Jan-Feb?

Old 11-03-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsil80 View Post
Thanks for the help!

Ingleside does seem like a good neighborhood. I'm definitely going to check into Wesleyan. What is the weather like in Central Georgia durring Jan-Feb?
Highs average 50s-low 60s, lows in the 30s with regular overnight freezes (occassionally dipping into the teens) but never for very long. Snow and ice are rare but when it does happen, it's usually a major event.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:58 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,255,572 times
You received good advice from newsboy. As a single guy from a very large city, to have any sort of culture and nightlife activities in your life, I would recommend the Intown Macon (Historic District just north of downtown) which includes most of the college hill corridor. Just about any other place around here is either unacceptable or family oriented. While not LA in any sense of the word and not nearly as lively as Savannah's intown area, this part of Macon is going to be the closest thing to culture you will find.

The area is popular with younger professionals and artsy types and close to restaurants and night activities. The area up by Wesleyan is nice, but very family oriented and a 15 minute drive from downtown where the cultural center of the area is(of course coming from a major city, that is a short drive, I know) Ingleside lies between the two and is a mix of families and young professionals, very nice historic area as well and closer to downtown.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:09 AM
RNF

141 posts, read 232,591 times
Just to add in some neighborhoods and surburbs.

Hartley Bridge
Lizella
Lake Tobe
North Macon
Westside around Macon State

Old 11-06-2012, 09:01 AM

I will definitely be. Checkng into those places. I was told Macon was city like but wasn't sure how big of a city t actually is. I looked into Ingleside and that area looked great. But I imagine that its also not too far from Atlanta and Savannah right?

Old 11-06-2012, 09:16 AM

A nd when I looked up Ingleside. I kept getting an area north of macon. But nothing of an actual city of Macon county?

Old 11-06-2012, 03:40 PM
RNF

141 posts, read 232,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsil80 View Post
A nd when I looked up Ingleside. I kept getting an area north of macon. But nothing of an actual city of Macon county?
Ingleside is just an unofficial neighborhood name. It's on vineville ave in the city limits. I don't particularly like the area but its alright. I'll find the address later. Macon is pretty big, fourth biggest in ga. Atlanta is an hour drive away from Macon.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:07 AM

Savannah is 170 miles southeast ... about 2.5 hours give or take. Close enough for a day trip but I wouldn't recommend it. Better to stay overnight and enjoy!

Atlanta is an easy daytrip / night out ... wouldn't drink and drive in either case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon