Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 01:44 PM

12 posts, read 40,986 times

Advertisements

Hello Georgians,

I've only been in GA (Savannah) once on St. Patrick's day and it was fun! I moved to CA/MI/IN to Sumter, SC which is not much of anything compare to other cities I've lived in. I am planning to move to nearby cities of Macon and Warner Robins (Robins AFB). Are these cities best to live in or are there any other ones you would recommend with safer neighborhood (low crime)? How is Lexington area?

Thank you,

Papoose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 02:42 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,986 times
I will tell you this, the immediate areas close to the main entrance in the base are pretty undesirable. There's project/public housing directly across the street. The Northside of Warner Robins isn't exactly the best. However, other areas like: the rest of Warner Robins, Bonaire, Kathleen, Byron, South Bibb County are all nearby and are safe. Perry's nice too.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:55 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,255,572 times
I concur with King X. I might add there arent really any secrets...just driving around it is easy to tell the nice from not so nice based solely on the upkeep of the homes and yards. Most of Houston County is pretty safe except a few areas near the base and the north side.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:10 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,700,405 times
Depends what's important to you and if you have kids in school...Since you said you had fun during St Pattys Day in Savannah I will conclude that you're looking to get out every now and then.

When you say the "Lexington area" are you referring to the Lexington Apartments which are in Centerville? If so, they are extremely popular apartments with lots of people in their 20s-30s. A big reason it WAS so popular was because you were roughly a mile from two dozen restaurants and a few of the most popular bars with dance floors. But those bars have since closed; there are still a few bars but they're just not popular. Jus One More, somewhat far from the base up russell is currently the most popular bar but who knows for how long. Cold Creek Apartments are very popular apartments.

With Macon, I'd say if you're commuting to the base every day to either live in a downtown loft (30 min commute) or north macon (45 min commute). For middle GA, downtown macon probably has the most to do. It's not a whole lot but a lot better than anywhere else I can think of. With north macon, the vibe tends to be a bit different, a little more attitude and snobbish. I've had some fun up in North Macon, but always tend to have more fun downtown. There are several hotels by the Lexington apartments, north macon and a hotel in downtown macon, if you have the luxury, stay in all areas for a couple of nights to gauge the commute, hobbies and nightlife.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:58 PM

56 posts, read 120,820 times
I recommend you check out the Vineville/ Ingleside area. My wife and I have friends in the area and we love it. Might move there ourselves one day.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:52 PM

12 posts, read 40,986 times
Thank you all for your recommendations. I will research and maybe visit Macon one day to explore the area.

Best regards,

Papoosebabe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon