Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 09:31 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,949,710 times

Advertisements

So I see they play their first game against Reinhardt this weekend. That's a pretty quick start for a program that hasn't played in decades! Is there much excitement in Macon? What's their home stadium gonna be? Will they have a marching band?

BTW ... on my last trip home from Atlanta to Savannah, I had some time to kill and drove Riverside Drive down through the College Hill neighborhood. My god, that part of Macon is gorgeous! So many beautiful old homes, leafy streets, great vistas! I hope football can kick Mercer (and Macon) into a new era!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 04:28 AM

1,389 posts, read 2,260,785 times
It is going to be great to have football back in Macon. Mercer has built a 10000 seat stadium at the back of their campus next to Mercer U Drive and there will be a marching band. Mercer is a small school, but they have done this right and it should be successful. In fact the College Hill Corridor that you drove through...Mercer was a huge player in helping to renovate that area. They are a great part of the Macon community and I think Macon as a city is really supporting Mercer now..

There is a good bit of excitement about the new football program especially from Mercer alumni and students, but also from much of the intown Macon community. I think it is great.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:03 PM

Mercer built a brand new 10,000 seat stadium? WOW! That's VERY impressive!

Old 08-28-2013, 05:03 PM

1,389 posts, read 2,260,785 times
Its no UGA or Southern but for a small private school, it is rather impressive. What I have really been surprised by is the reception by Maconites who aren't Mercer alumni. From what I understand, season tickets sold above expectations and single game tickets have been strong. Hey, I went to a huge state school many states away and I'm going to a game...maybe more than one... I love football and tailgating and with this I dont have to travel.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:31 PM

They're likely to get clobbered in their first season, you know that?! LOL! But nothing beats the excitement of college football Saturdays in the fall!

Old 09-03-2013, 09:01 PM

6 posts, read 6,723 times
Honestly - this is one of the best things that has happened to Macon in YEARS. First game was a 12,000 + sell out, and the Bears won as well. Let's just hope those people keep coming back - even if the Bears struggle some (which is more than likely going to happen here in the beginning)!

Old 09-03-2013, 09:19 PM

221 posts, read 248,086 times
I was always surprised Mercer didn't have a football team, given they have engineering programs that most small schools don't. Why would a Furman and a Wofford have football but not Mercer?

they did a good job with that stadium. that's really all Mercer was missing to attract more students there, i think b/c it seemed like a nice college when I went there. I always though it should be a public school in georgia which would give an alternative to gtech, and now ga for engineering for lower tuition.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:28 PM

Don't forget the medical and law schools. Football is really gonna propel Mercer (and Macon) on a new level.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:58 AM

221 posts, read 248,086 times
Yeah I didn't forget about the law school. A guy I know from high school went to law school there. I don't think i knew about the medical school.

Did you go to college there? Mercer is the only other school that I applied to other than Clemson but I couldn't get a scholarship there and my dad didn't want to pay twice as much for me to go there. I thought it was a nice campus and I thought Macon itself was pretty nice, nice architecture, kind of an Old South colonial feel to it, that is why I always been surprised people seem to hate it.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:48 PM

66 posts, read 87,625 times
Anybody go to the Mercer game, or know anybody that did? I am curious how that went. Looks like a nice stadium for a small college.

Looks like Berry College in Rome has a new football stadium and program this year too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon