Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 04:35 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,164,606 times

Advertisements

Macon is truly stepping up and making itself a truly great city. Hopefully the county will be able to get the rest of the money needed for the makeover.
Quote:
The Economic and Community Development Committee approved a master plan for the area on Tuesday. It includes a pedestrian bridge across the Ocmulgee River, a football stadium, and a skate park. The total cost of the project is $25 million. This includes every possible idea presented.

Commissioners only have $4 million available. They'll have to decide which items are a priority.

"We're going to give commissioners, the Economic and Community Development Committee first, a menu. It says you want this ball field? Every ball field you order is $250,000 dollars," explained Macon-Bibb SPLOST Coordinator Clay Murphey.

Commissioners will vote on the master plan during their meeting next week. Then they'll start picking which features they want to build first.
Central City Park to receive makeover - 41 NBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 07:43 PM

149 posts, read 197,278 times
Standing ovation!!!

Old 06-23-2015, 10:11 PM

70 posts, read 60,544 times
what do we need a football stadium for? tennis courts, skate park. that would be nice. we already have softball fields down there. need rest rooms open when park during day time hours.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:42 AM

Quote:
what do we need a football stadium for?
You're joking right? Remember the Macon Chiefs? Macon could use a minor league football team. A football stadium in central city to go along with a baseball stadium across from the Centerplex would awesome. Minor league sports would be a major plus for the city to bring in more revenue, visitors and provide residents with more to do. I'm really surprised we don't have basketball at the centerplex, at least we have the facility already. City leader are thinking these day's and I'm delighted. Macon is on the verged of excellence; look at all the recent developments, proposals and trends. We have hockey...let's get football and baseball back.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:48 AM

841 posts, read 1,401,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDarrylx View Post
You're joking right? Remember the Macon Chiefs? Macon could use a minor league football team. A football stadium in central city to go along with a baseball stadium across from the Centerplex would awesome. Minor league sports would be a major plus for the city to bring in more revenue, visitors and provide residents with more to do. I'm really surprised we don't have basketball at the centerplex, at least we have the facility already. City leader are thinking these day's and I'm delighted. Macon is on the verged of excellence; look at all the recent developments, proposals and trends. We have hockey...let's get football and baseball back.
I agree The en hancements to central park would be a tremendous plus for Macon, it will add value to the city when trying to market the area for businesses and industries to come here... Who wants to move to a city where there is nothing to do after work hours... Thats why Atlanta is so successful not only do you have a sea of good jobs but plenty of places and things to do around the city. GO MACON!!! Some ppl are so negative and so quick to shoot down everything proposed in Macon, I'm sooooo glad they don't listen....

Last edited by NewtownMacon; 06-24-2015 at 07:57 AM..

Old 06-24-2015, 09:43 AM

70 posts, read 60,544 times
sorry never heard of the macon chiefs.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:09 AM

246 posts, read 498,616 times
Is the Central City Park where the fair grounds are located? Haven't been to Macon in a while, although I'm almost finished with buying a vacation home here.

It would be nice if the central Georgia area could support minor league basketball/baseball/football teams, but I'm doubtful that it can. Baseball would seem to have an obvious advantage because minor-league players sometimes reach the big leagues and it's nice to be able to say we saw them play before they were famous. This this would seldom be the case with basketball or football, however, and in both of those sports Mercer would probably have the advantage relative to ticket sales and attendance.

If it was me, then I'd opt for a semi-pro soccer team to go along with a minor-league baseball team. Both are warm weather sports with plenty of fans. Keep the ticket prices low, provide lots of unhealthy delicious food, and do a reasonable amount of advertising. And keep the games as close to downtown as possible so that the eateries and businesses there would benefit.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
sorry never heard of the Macon chiefs.
Yes; Macon use to have a minor league football team. The Chiefs played in central city park for years while the Macon Peach's; the minor league baseball team, played at Luther Williams field. Macon also has 6 high schools using 3 stadiums. The stadium used solely by Northeast is just some bleachers next to a football field. Henderson stadium is an antique used by Southwest, Central and Rutland "the best of my knowledge". Ed DeFore sports complex is used by Westside and Howard "as far as I know" If anyone can correct me, feel free to do so. Mercer has all of it's own facilities. BUT, Middle Georgia State University has been exploring the possibility of a football team; which would make Macon the only city in the state with 2 college football teams. Hmmmmmm

Last edited by xDarrylx; 06-24-2015 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: Atl

Old 06-24-2015, 05:37 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,532,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDarrylx View Post
Yes; Macon use to have a minor league football team. The Chiefs played in central city park for years while the Macon Peach's; the minor league baseball team, played at Luther Williams field. Macon also has 6 high schools using 3 stadiums. The stadium used solely by Northeast is just some bleachers next to a football field. Henderson stadium is an antique used by Southwest, Central and Rutland "the best of my knowledge". Ed DeFore sports complex is used by Westside and Howard "as far as I know" If anyone can correct me, feel free to do so. Mercer has all of it's own facilities. BUT, Middle Georgia State University has been exploring the possibility of a football team; which would make Macon the only city in the state with 2 college football teams. Hmmmmmm
Minus Atlanta
Atlanta is exempt

Old 06-24-2015, 06:17 PM

I wasn't sure if the AU campus still had a team. Ga Tech & Morehouse. I always hoped the AU center would have 1 united team. Georgia State need a football team. A school that size is dome ready for season 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
View detailed profiles of: