Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2017, 10:38 AM

909 posts, read 547,184 times

Advertisements

I think that the city-county public officials need to be tested regularly especially the heads at the Macon Transit Authority.

Commissioner pushes for voluntary drug tests for public officials
BY STANLEY DUNLAP
sdunlap@macon.com

LINKEDIN
GOOGLE+
PINTEREST
REDDIT
PRINT
ORDER REPRINT OF THIS STORY
A Macon-Bibb County commissioner is pushing for drug tests for elected and appointed public officials, but some commissioners are wary about how the proposal would be implemented.

Commissioner Joe Allen plans to introduce a resolution asking for elected and public officials to submit to voluntary drug tests and release the results to residents. The veteran politician said it would be a way to hold those in leadership positions accountable.

But several commissioners said they have concerns about some of the people who would be asked to volunteer for the tests, especially those whom commissioners appoint to various unpaid boards.

ADVERTISING

The resolution would cover Macon-Bibb County commissioners, other elected officials and appointed positions such as county and assistant county managers, and other department heads. People appointed to various boards, such as the Macon-Bibb County Planning and Zoning Commission, would also be asked to participate.

The resolution says it would cover illegal controlled substances. The measure is expected to be on the agenda for Tuesday’s commission committee meetings.

“Right now you read about what’s going on in the media in different communities where public officials are doing drugs,” Allen said. “Why don’t we as commissioners stand up and do what’s right?”

Allen said that if someone fails a test, he’s not advocating that they must lose their position. Instead, he wants them to get treatment.

“We should expect ourselves to do the same thing we expect from our employees — to be clean,” he said. “I’d rather do this now and if someone fails they get help instead of finding out later after something (serious) happens.”

Commissioner Al Tillman said the resolution appears to be a bit of grandstanding by Allen, who returned to the County Commission in January. Allen previously served on the former Bibb County Commission from 1989-2000 and again from 2005-2013.

“Joe Allen needs to realize this a new, consolidated government. All those old shenanigans under the old county system is over,” Tillman said.

He added about the resolution, “I don’t know how that’ll improve Macon-Bibb County or make people’s lives better, but I’ll be the first one to step up to take the test if (Allen’s) going to pay for it.”

With all the needs across the county, Commissioner Larry Schlesinger said it doesn’t appear that paying for additional drug tests is fiscally prudent.

“Where is it going to end is my question?” he said. “I really don’t see the sense of it. I just question the need and spending taxpayer money to do it.”

Allen estimates about 80 people would fall under the resolution and that each drug test would cost about $33. That would come out to about $2,600 if everyone volunteered to take a test.

Macon-Bibb County employees each have to take a drug test when they’re hired, and they are subject to random testing as long as they work for the county. Also, anyone who drives Macon-Bibb vehicles, including public officials, are tested for illegal substances.

“Every employee in the pool is to be randomly tested, and there’s an additional level of caution for drivers, ... for people who operate machinery and equipment,” Macon-Bibb spokesman Chris Floore said.

Tillman said he’s against asking people who are appointed to voluntary boards to submit to the testing.

“Those folks don’t work for us or get paid. Those are volunteers,” he said. “If (Allen) knows about someone personally involved in doing drugs or illegal activities, he needs to share it with the commission in a private, executive session and let us deal with.”

Commissioner Elaine Lucas said she supports Allen’s effort to test public officials, but she said she also understands why there could be questions about why he wants it done.

Lucas said the issue of drug testing for elected officials has come up in the past, but that was usually during heated campaigns when one candidate accused another of using certain substances.

“It’s not something I would introduce, but it’s something that I will support because I don’t see a problem with it,” she said. “If someone else feels it’s that important that we make that statement, then certainly I would support that.”

Commissioner Virgil Watkins said he wanted time to examine Allen’s proposal before deciding how he would vote. Some further explanations about who would fall under the voluntary testing are needed.

“Technically, (county commissioners) are part-time county employes, and us being part of the mix isn’t necessarily a bad thing,” Watkins said.

People appointed to boards already submit to a background check before serving, he said.

Allen said he’s unsure if the resolution will get enough support to pass. He reasons that it’s not necessarily because of fear of someone failing, but officials not wanting to stick their noses into other people’s businesses.

The proposal wasn’t a spur-of-the-moment decision, Allen said.

“This has been on my mind before even coming back, and now is the time to do it,” he said.

Stanley Dunlap: 478-744-4623, @stan_telegraph

Read more here: Commissioner proposes voluntary drug testing for public officials | The Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 06:28 PM

1,389 posts, read 2,264,676 times
Total waste of money. How about Joe Allen personally paying for each negative test. This is stupid.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:05 PM

1,180 posts, read 988,355 times
They want to test the unemployed and poor people who received assistance. I think public officials should be tested as well.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:55 PM

909 posts, read 547,184 times
I feel like it is some type of drug use going on for this measure to not hold.

Macon-Bibb drug testing measure fails in committee
BY STANLEY DUNLAP
sdunlap@macon.com
LINKEDIN
GOOGLE+
PINTEREST
REDDIT
PRINT
ORDER REPRINT OF THIS STORY
A resolution asking Macon-Bibb County elected and public officials to take voluntary drug tests failed to get through committee Tuesday.

The County Commission’s Committee of the Whole voted 7-2 against the measure sponsored by Commissioner Joe Allen. The resolution asked for elected officials and people appointed by commissioners to voluntarily take drug tests and release the results to the public.

Commissioners Elaine Lucas and Allen voted in favor of the resolution.

ADVERTISING

Allen said it would be fair for people in leadership positions with the county to be held to the same standards as the majority of Macon-Bibb employees.

“The bottom line is if we want to be the best we can be and prove to the general public that we’re standing firm with our mayor, what’s wrong if it’s not costing a dime to be drug tested?” Allen said.

But several commissioners were against asking people serving on various unpaid boards being asked to take testing.

“To ask them, I think, would discourage other board members from wanting to serve,” Commissioner Scotty Shepherd said.

Even though the testing is voluntary, people could be hounded for not taking the test with implications made that they would fail, Commissioner Bert Bivins said.

“I think if we’re going to (test) we need to have cause,” he said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
View detailed profiles of: