Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 02:52 PM

5 posts, read 16,071 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family (wife, two small kids) and I will be moving to Georgia in September. We are moving from California.

We are looking for a place either in Macon, GA or south of Atlanta (halfway between Macon and Atlanta).

We are looking to rent for a year or so until we get our bearings.

I am looking for a nice, quiet, safe suburb/city with good elementary schools.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 04:00 PM

I figured I would like to stay south of Atlanta as I will be working out of Hartsfield-Jackson and that's why Macon caught my eye. I will not be commuting to ATL every day; but I just need to be a couple of hours out if I do get called into work.

My wife is a teacher; however, she will be staying home with the youngest for another year and then plans on going back to teach full time.

So we figured it would be nice to live in a smaller town with good schools and be relatively close to Atlanta.

p.s. trust me California isn't all that. Expensive real-estate, crazy taxes, insane commute times....

Old 07-13-2017, 04:30 PM

148 posts, read 149,832 times
I wouldn't say Macon is currently stuck in a time warp... Macon is making ALOT of progress currently and has been for years.
Regarding schools... North Macon would be the best district for Springdale elementary. There is also a fantastic Magnet School Alexander II (twice National Blue Ribbon Award winner).Also consider trying to get into Charter school Academy for Classical Education.. just very hard to get in as they have a lottery to get in for available openings... they have a waiting list.
North Macon is safe as well. Many people that I know that aren't from here enjoy Macon.
Middle Ga has a very affordable cost of living. I've been here 14 years and like it.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:58 PM

1,180 posts, read 983,826 times
Peachtree city is closer to Atlanta than it is to Macon but I've heard greats things about it. It has pretty good schools as well. Check out this thread. The second response gives some great details

Peachtree City: North/Central/or South?

Old 07-13-2017, 07:33 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feelthebern204 View Post
I wouldn't recommend someone from California move to Macon unless you hate California and want to move somewhere the exact opposite.

The only Georgia cities that aren't stuck in a time warp are Atlanta, Athens, and Savannah.
Can you expound on this more? Depending on where this person is moving from in Cali, even Atlanta would be a culture shock. If she's coming from a suburban area, I really dont see much difference in most suburbs regardless of where they are, besides demographics. If they are coming from a "sprawly, strip malls Galore USA" type of place, then they shouldnt have much of a problem adjusting to North Macon, Warner Robins, countless places in suburban ATL, or any other similar places.

I'll say this though, given what OP said in their second post, I dont necessarily see a reason they'd necessarily want to be in Macon. There are lots of places much closer, and also what exactly do you mean by small town.

Even though Macon and ATL MSAs technically touch, there are some truly small towns that I consider separate the 2 areas. If you really want a "small town" cloe to ATL you could live in Jackson, Barnesville, Griffin, etc and not be too far from the airport. You could live Fayette County or Henry if you wanted a more closer more suburban. They have areas that still feel more of a small town once you exit off and drive around them though. Just look at McDonough, for an example.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 07-13-2017 at 07:46 PM..

Old 07-13-2017, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the awesome replies.

Will check out Peachtree City.

The Mrs. and I are planning a trip out there end of the month. Thanks.

Since I work for an airline and will be gone several days at a time , I want to find a nice city or suburb south of Atlanta that is safe and family friendly.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:02 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL410 View Post
Thanks for the awesome replies.

Will check out Peachtree City.

The Mrs. and I are planning a trip out there end of the month. Thanks.

Since I work for an airline and will be gone several days at a time , I want to find a nice city or suburb south of Atlanta that is safe and family friendly.
Based on your personal situation, I just dont see a reason to be that far out with so many options nea you. Henry County is nearby with options like McDonough, Hampton, etc. Stockbridge is south of the airport on the Henry/Clayton border. You've already been suggested to check out Peachree City. My only question is this. Would you prefer more suburban or more of a "small town" with close access to the airport and Metro ATL.

To describe it, places like Henry County (McDonough), Fayette (Peachtree City) still feel very much "part" of "Metro Atlanta"

Towns such as Jackson in Butts County or Barnesville in Lamar County truly are and feel like tightly knit small towns in their own world but you'd stil have about 45 mins to the airport from there. If that's exactly what you're looking for it may be worth it. If not you have suburban places much closer like Fayette and Henry.

From what I'm familiar with, I like Henry though. For me as a Maconite, Henry County is when you first truly hit what feels like the meto, but you still have 30-40 miles or so to ATL proper. The very first town you reach in Henry Co coming from Macon may intrigue you. It's called Locust Grove, and it has a big shopping outlet called Tanger Outlet. If something like that interest you or makes a different, thought it might be worth noting.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:42 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,255,572 times
Fayette County (Peachtree City) and Coweta County (Newnan) would be the best bets for your situation. Good schools, close to the airport, suburban, safe, quiet, family-friendly, etc.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:51 AM

Great stuff. Thank you all.

We are torn between the suburbs and a small town feel. Once we get out there to visit towards the end of the month, we will have a better idea.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:51 PM

132 posts, read 144,147 times
Newman is another great area. My friend is a realtor there, and they have everything of what you are looking for, and enough transplants that you will be able to easily make new friends. They have great planned communities with sidewalks and pools for the kids. Having been a transplant several times now, those things make a big difference. I'm new to the area myself, but if I were able to move closer to Atl, Peachtree City, Newnan, McDonough and Locust Grove would be the areas I would focus on. They all have great/excellent schools, economic growth, proximity to a city/airport while still being nice suburbs, and other transplants and locals accustomed to transplants.

Good luck in your search. Take a trip out to visit the areas, and check out local Facebook and meetup groups to get an idea for the vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon