Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 05:28 PM

511 posts, read 2,477,421 times

Advertisements

There's no painting to do you guys speak for Macon. You all have opinions and aint much I can do to change that. You all be safe out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 06:11 PM

14 posts, read 54,963 times
Default Areas around Macon

I lived there from 1988 until 1998 and saw a lot of the changes. I still visit friends and family at least once a year and drive around a lot, keep up with the news, etc.

Lizella is growing and is a decent area. Byron is a nice bedroom community, as is Centerville. There has been an explosion of development out in the areas past Zebulon Rd, Bass Road, etc and there are nice subdivisions out there. Gray is growing, but I will echo that Gray highway can be "interesting" at times to drive on. Most everything in the city limits is changing all the time. You may wish to find a place to rent and get in with some of the locals before you buy to get a feel for the area.

The City of Macon has a lot of wonderful people who will help steer you in the right direction. However, the city does have its share of problems, and they appear to be getting worse. You would want to thoroughly check out any neighborhood within the city limits before committing to it. You'll also want to make sure that it doesn't back right up to a bad area. Sometimes neighborhoods change within a difference of a couple of blocks in town. Sure-fire signs of trouble are areas with a lot of pawn shops or boarded up homes and businesses with bars on the windows and doors. (Not very "family-friendly areas, I'm afraid.)

Old 03-27-2007, 01:12 PM

634 posts, read 2,922,880 times
Warner Robins is only 12 miles from Macon and Centerville is only 11 miles. Who said 30? Byron is only 7 miles!!!!!! Not 25 Tragan! Do you not know the area.

I suggest North Macon which is the nice area of town with many wealthy folk moving down for Atlanta. Good if you want to buy a house and sell it in the future. I don't suggest South and West Macon. "The rundown side of town"

Warner Robins is another nice town. It is booming currently. So is Macon with many new businesses relocating to the area. Geico employs over 1,000 people here and is expanding. Bass Pro Shops recently opened in Northwest Macon.

Macon is a charming city. The downtown has old civil war buildings and are very attractive.

Crime is only a problem in South and East Macon. The North has very low crime rates as does Centerville and Warner Robins.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:15 PM

634 posts, read 2,922,880 times
Oh yeah, Mercer Univ. Drive is inCentral-Central North Macon near the Macon Mall.

By the way, the Macon Mall is the biggest outside of ATL.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:02 PM

18 posts, read 93,227 times
Default right on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamibc View Post
Centerville is a kind of a suburb, but is linked w/ Warner Robins - about 30 minutes south on I-75, minimum. That would be quite a commute for him. I personally would stay in the Macon area if I were in your shoes. Yes, Macon has some definite downsides (just ask about the mayor!), but is a beautiful town, in parts. Offers more established, mature appeal than the Warner Robbins areas..... that just looked like a typical miliary base town to me. Not a bad thing, of course, just not what we needed.

If you want character, maturity & since you don't have to contend w/ the questionable local school situation, I would strongly encourage the Ingleside area in Macon. This is a beautiful, established neighborhood w/ a mixture of retirees, young couples.... you name it. During cherry blossom bloom time alone is almost worth living there - breathtaking! The proximity would be excellent for your hubby & for you - close to restaurants, shopping, etc. If you go to a mapping site like Mapquest, just look for the roads around Ingleside Av, Ridge Av, Vista Cir. etc. As w/ just about any neighborhood, you'll be able to tell by driving around where your boundaries need to be. Just watch the condition of the yards, homes, etc.

If schools weren't a concern for us, this was where we wanted to be - sure y'all would love it! Good luck!!
Perfectly described and I agree! I would push a little further north. Newer neighborhoods out there, churches, restaurants and businesses. All kinds of housing. Rivoli, Bass, Zebulon, North-Northside Drive, and North Forsyth/Vineville. It's quieter. If you like a little more bustle investigate the Ingleside area and stick toward the Ridge Avenue and Forest Hill perimeter.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:54 PM

283 posts, read 1,193,853 times
Complete stab on the dark but I'm going to suggest a new equine community that is half way between both Macon and Atlanta. The Club at River Park is located on Johnstonville Road in North Monroe County. It would only take about 30 min to downtown Macon and about 40 min to your husbands job. I mention this because I don't think you'll find a law firm as large as you are hoping for in Macon or Warner Robins. Some may near 100 employees but no selection for you. Trips to downtown Atl from The Club at River Forest will take about an hour. Please note that all these travel times may vary dramatically. Many times while living in Macon a 15min jot would take an hour 15. It generally only takes 30 min's to get anywhere in town. While living in ATL though, one hour could easily become 3 or 4 maybe even more. This traffic problem is going to be found most anywhere near I-75 in GA and is just continuing to grow as GA is the 4th fastest growing state. Some of the areas you will be looking are some of the nations fastest growing counties as well. Another plus to the equine community is a small airstrip for those of us who like to fly in; possibly opening up a quicker, maybe cheaper alternative to commuting to a decent sized law firm. Can't remember the guys name who owns the small jet turbine plane but I flew with him often to my realestate closings across the state. I know he flew almost daily to Atlanta, Peachtree City and Alpharetta; only charged me $35 round trip for those sites.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:33 AM
GP2

81 posts, read 999,773 times
Creekside subdivision in Monroe county is THE best place to live up there!! The prices are right, the covenants ensure your investment appreciates and the lots are huge to give you all the privacy you want.....Its off of Hwy 42 south....

Old 04-20-2007, 01:26 PM

18 posts, read 93,227 times
Thumbs up agreed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickleswanson View Post
Complete stab on the dark but I'm going to suggest a new equine community that is half way between both Macon and Atlanta. The Club at River Park is located on Johnstonville Road in North Monroe County. It would only take about 30 min to downtown Macon and about 40 min to your husbands job. I mention this because I don't think you'll find a law firm as large as you are hoping for in Macon or Warner Robins. Some may near 100 employees but no selection for you. Trips to downtown Atl from The Club at River Forest will take about an hour. Please note that all these travel times may vary dramatically. Many times while living in Macon a 15min jot would take an hour 15. It generally only takes 30 min's to get anywhere in town. While living in ATL though, one hour could easily become 3 or 4 maybe even more. This traffic problem is going to be found most anywhere near I-75 in GA and is just continuing to grow as GA is the 4th fastest growing state. Some of the areas you will be looking are some of the nations fastest growing counties as well. Another plus to the equine community is a small airstrip for those of us who like to fly in; possibly opening up a quicker, maybe cheaper alternative to commuting to a decent sized law firm. Can't remember the guys name who owns the small jet turbine plane but I flew with him often to my realestate closings across the state. I know he flew almost daily to Atlanta, Peachtree City and Alpharetta; only charged me $35 round trip for those sites.
Great suggestion. Our law firm's pilot probably knows your friend. I know that strip.
The community youre talking about is really pretty and I had nice conversations with folks out in that area while passing out lost dog fliers.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,176 times
What are the best schools around Macon? Within say 25 miles

Old 04-27-2007, 02:43 PM

511 posts, read 2,477,421 times
I know of two five within the Bibb County System.

The first one is Miller Core Knowledge Middle School, known coutrywide, and recognized in 2001 as one of the top 100 schools in North America. The latest new coming out of the school is that the math team has won 1st Place in the County two consecutive years. This is a Core Knowledge school, and a Georgia School of Excellence from 2001-2002.

The second one is Hutchings Career Center, the school is for students who wish to go straight into work after high school, and be able to make a good living. The school is has a trade program. Students walk across the stage to recieve trades on there high school diplome, from ASE certified technicians, to master web designers, or caring nurses. You can be all the things right out of the career center.

The third would be Vineville Academy, recognized nationally with the National Blue Ribbon Award as of 2006-2007.

Fourth and final most would be Alexander II as of 2002 it has had the highest test scroes, and students to pass amoung Bibb COunty Elementary Schools. I say as of 2002 because there isnt a more recent report. The school also held this honor in 2001. This is also a Georgia School of Excellence from 2001-2002, 2002-2003, 2005-2006.

The links to the schools are below. I know I left several schools out in the Bibb County System. i'm sure there are other great schools, in middle Georgia, but I really only know of Bibb County.

I commend every student, and teacher who try their best, not just in Bibb County, but the whole world.

http://miller.bibbcountyga.net/home.aspx?
http://hutchings.bibbcountyga.net/home.aspx
http://bibb.k12.ga.us/vineville/default.htm (broken link)
http://alexanderii.bibbcountyga.net/home.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon