Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2007, 03:31 PM

4 posts, read 23,824 times

Advertisements

Alright, so I will probably be transferring to Macon State College to finish my bachelor's degree since they have my major, and it's very affordable. However, I am a little apprehensive about going, since I've heard Macon has a crime problem.

Anyway, is the main campus of Macon State located in the "good" area of the city, or is it close to the hood lol..

Also, I'm black but plan on living in an apartment in one of the better areas of Macon, hopefully relatively close to the campus. To the question, do you think people would look at me like "what's he doing here/Get out of here rawr" or something like that :\. This question may sound dumb but from what people have told me about Macon, most black people are poor and live in one area...

Thank you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 04:49 AM

511 posts, read 2,477,162 times
You have been mislead by comments of all black people in the city being poor, that's very hurtful, thats what really brings people down. Most black people do not live in one area, over 50 percent of the city is Black, so that's logically impossible. However, no one is going to look at you crazy because its not nothing unusual, that was an insult to every black person who is thriving to remove themselves from poverty, or just for the people who a working for a better life. It's very cruel that your asking what side of town the school is located when you should be asking what is the dropout rate of this, how much does books cost, what's the teacher student ratio, do they have sports, do they have a wide range of Major's, instead your asking what side of town its located. I hope I dont sound rude when I say this but your comments were very disrespectful.

Now, Macon State College is located exactly a mile outside of Macon City Limits, on the otherside of Interstate 475, there are many great homes out there, and what open spaces you see will began to become ingolfed of new homes. There is alot of commercial business in the area a new shopping center has been esablished, and here are just a few of the stores. Wal-mart, Target, Kroger, Best Buy, Dick's, Old Navy, Staples, Home Depot, Pet's Mart, Staples, and I think they just built a Starbucks. There is also many restaraunts of your choosing including Zaxby's, Sonny's Bar-b-cue, Ryan's, McDonalds, Buger King, Quiznos, Dairy Queen, New China Buffet, Cracker barrel, and a New Golden Carrol is going up. You are also under 8 minutes away from the Macon Mall the second largest indoor mall, and has the most anchor stores.

Also, crime is high, it has dropped from previous years but many community leaders are fixing that, although if your going to let crime keep you trapped up in your home, I advise you dont move to Macon, no matter what SIDE OF TOWN you plan on moving to.

I happen to live in Bloomfield it has its up's and down, but its an overall good community, its a mix of low, medium, and high wealth residential, there's one part that has low incoming housing and across the street there is medium wealth, you go up the street there is a huge suburb going up. With many 200K and 300K homes, I happen to have left my door unlocked last night, but that doesnt mean I will leave it unlocked again. If you invite yourself to crime it will come knocking

However, you should not listen to everything you hear from media sources, you should always see for yourself. Your welcome to ask me any questions, and I will try to answer from both points of views.

Don't miss out everyone the 25th Anniversary Cherry Blossom festival March 16-25 is right around the corner, for the first time ever the Cherry Blossom Parade will feature a 14 feet helium ballon on Sunday March 25, 2007 at 1:00 p.m. I would also urge people to visit the Bengal Tiger Show in the Miller LIte Central City Park 30 minute shows at Noon, 2, and 6 p.m., with an 8 p.m. feeding, the shows last from March 15, thre March 25 of the Cherry Blossom Festival.

Last edited by MayorOfMacon2019; 03-04-2007 at 05:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
View detailed profiles of: