Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 12:46 AM

2 posts, read 15,329 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I have recently been offered a position in Dublin, GA and have visited. I am coming from Dallas-Fort Worth and thinking that I might make a move to Macon because Dublin is so small, I am afraid it might be a bit of a culture shock to me. I tested out the distance from Fairview Hospital to Macon Malland the time seemed to be at 45 minutes. Does anyone know is that about the average time it takes to get to Dublin from Macon if I choose to say close to I-16? If not are there any midpoint towns between Dublin and Macon that I am unaware of????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 06:07 AM

236 posts, read 698,305 times
I would find something rural in between that gives you an easy drive to Macon or Dublin. Dublin would be quite a shock coming from DFW. For that matter, Macon is going to be quite a shock... If rural is too much, downtown Macon should have something available that's reasonable. The drive is a breeze. I16 is about as empty and boring as any highway you'll ever drive.

Good Luck,

Michael

Old 02-08-2009, 06:36 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
I agree, Dublin will be a huge culture shock.

Downtown Macon has a lot of potential. I rather like it, though many of the residents on the outskirts are afraid to go there. I've been spending a reasonable amount of time in their downtown on business and am always excited by what I see/experience there.

The other small town I've had the opportunity to explore recently is Milledgeville. It's about 45 miles NW of Dublin and roughly the same distance from Macon. It's a lovely Southern college town with a lot of history and a charming downtown with "classic" little shops and restaurants. It wouldn't improve your commute, but might provide an sense of community that you wouldn't find in either of the other cities.

Of course, if you settled in Dublin for convenience, you'd have both Macon and Milledgeville nearby to give you relief.

Last edited by ellie; 02-08-2009 at 07:18 AM..

Old 02-09-2009, 06:34 AM

970 posts, read 2,949,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msda View Post
Hello all, I have recently been offered a position in Dublin, GA and have visited. I am coming from Dallas-Fort Worth and thinking that I might make a move to Macon because Dublin is so small, I am afraid it might be a bit of a culture shock to me. I tested out the distance from Fairview Hospital to Macon Malland the time seemed to be at 45 minutes. Does anyone know is that about the average time it takes to get to Dublin from Macon if I choose to say close to I-16? If not are there any midpoint towns between Dublin and Macon that I am unaware of????
Wrong board.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:23 PM

6 posts, read 23,273 times
Try Warner Robins same distance from Macon and a really nice place with lots to do. BTW... I just moved to Dublin from the west coast of Canada (Vancouver) and love it.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:40 PM
phy

34 posts, read 150,634 times
I personally think you would love Milledgeville. I lived there and really miss it. I had a friend that moved from Dublin and also loved it, it had a lot more to offer than Dublin--shopping, grocery stores, restauants, and also the lake. Also, nicer homes to choose from.
The traffic in Macon is a nightmare and I also hear there are crime areas you have to look out for.

Good Luck

Last edited by phy; 04-13-2009 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: miss spelling

Old 11-28-2009, 01:26 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times
hey man, I dont know if you're still looking, but, in Macon, the southern and western parts of the city limits are crime infested. North Macon is technically not in the city limits but its the nicest.

I stay in East Macon and it gets lumped into being just like southern and western Macon when its really not. We just have one bad neighborhood, Ft. Hill.

In the extreme eastern part of the city limits along the bibb county, jones county border...you can find many nice neighborhoods and sub divisions. Also, you could stay in eastern bibb county just out from east macon (Still considered the eastside by some of the residents) out by geico and near the twiggs county border. You would be very close to I-16 and about 10-15 mins closer to dublin than staying deeper into Macon city limits. The bad thing is that this area is rural in itself (probably even more rural than the city of Dublin itself)

So, I'd recommend staying somewhere on the Macon/Bibb County-Jones County line....you'll be close to the city, close enough to work, and in a pretty safe area.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:39 PM

8 posts, read 30,635 times
hey this is CochranGA934 and Dublin is a small city but everything you could want or need is right inside of it ,without all of the big city problems and crimes. I live in the cochran area right now but will be moving to the Macon area shortly, and I would say the average time from Dublin to Macon would be about 45minutes ,but I'm not sure because the city just extend a roud that streches out to the Dudley city Limits and this may cut your time maybe about ten minutes. Also dublin is only an hour and a half drive from Savanna, as well as an hour drive from Statesboro. So these two cities may help you feel more at home.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:17 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times
Cochran, I noticed you mentioned Statesboro and Savannah. You think Statesboro is that much more noticeably different(bigger..more city) than Dublin? I always looked as them both as decent sized "micropolitan" type cities (like Milledgeville) that you probably couldnt tell the difference between.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:34 PM

808 posts, read 1,014,839 times
I know this thread is old but im going through old threads revitalizing topics(nothing else to do lol) @King X: Dublin and Boro are both very similiar in some ways like our Northside Drive and their main shopping corridor(i forgot what the highway is named) looks just alike to me; both have very small malls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon