Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 07:45 AM

5 posts, read 98,449 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am moving from Baton Rouge, LA to Macon, GA later this summer. Anyone know of the safest, most affordable neighborhoods? Which neighborhoods have the highest crime rates? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 07:48 AM
GP2

81 posts, read 999,636 times
I would suggest Houston or Monroe county.....Aint no way I`d live in Macon...

Old 06-05-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP2 View Post
I would suggest Houston or Monroe county.....Aint no way I`d live in Macon...
What is wrong with Macon?

Old 06-05-2007, 08:01 AM
GP2

81 posts, read 999,636 times
Its a hell hole dump of a place......Corrupt politicians and sorry law enforcement has turned it into a disaster area.....You`ll hear how great of a town it is and how it is booming...but the FACT is that the city has grown less than 1 percent in 6 years. Everyone is bailing because the city truly does suck.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:26 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,076 times
yes, you'd be better looking in Houston, Peach, or Monroe Counties.
I grew up in Macon. Have lived in Houston County (Warner Robins, which is a great place) Now we live in Peach County (Byron, which is a great place, too)
We are moving though :-( so I hate to leave the area....

Old 06-05-2007, 08:51 AM

634 posts, read 2,922,185 times
Macon bashers!!! There is nothing wrong with Macon!

Old 06-05-2007, 09:16 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,076 times
LOL, my parents & sister still live in Macon...I just prefer not to live there.

If you are deadset on Macon, I would suggest south side (near Hartley Bridge Rd. area) or north Macon area...
depends on what you're looking for....

Old 06-05-2007, 05:12 PM

511 posts, read 2,476,830 times
Thumbs down Sense we are pointing things out

Houston County is not the best suggestion right now to move to, the huge growth is leading to overcrowding, and a slight rise in crime. Including an incident where a pizza man was robbed at gun point. The traffic is horrible along roads leading from Macon and the AFB, being that many people in Houston COunty either work at the AFB or Macon. So Monroe, and Peach Counties YES, but Houston County, NO.

Macon is one of the best places to live in the State of Georgia, yes it has a huge amount of crime, as of the 2000 census, but crime has dropped tremendiously the last two years, with a new police chief being named, a new Georgia State Patrol Temporary Command Post, and one of the best law enforcement agencies in the world, the Bibb County Sheriff's increase in vigilante. Macon has changed much of the view of Macon, with decreased crime, and an upcoming election that is expected to get rid of corrupt politicians, but many people, many of them being on this site, still base information off of 5 year old sources, and havent seen for themselves that Macon is a better community than it was five years ago. If you want to know more of how Macon is changing in 2007 view my thread Macon the Best of 2007 http://<b>//www.city-data.com/f...007-a.html</b>

If you need further information I will be able to assist you, Macon is a great community overall, its also the economic, and recreational hub of Central Georgia. People as far out as Dublin, come to Macon to work, and enjoy great recreational events that cant be found anywhere in the Macon-Metro Area ( 13 counties including Houston County ) but Macon such as the Cherry Blossom Festival, First Friday, Pan African Festival, and major events that go on at the Macon Coliseum, such as an upcoming stand-up comedy show by Big Time radio co-host of the Steve Harvey Morning Show Tommy, and one show has been reportedly sold out.

Other great venues that come to the Macon COliseum is the Annual Ice Skating which had to turn people around at the gates. Speaking of turning people around at the gates, Macon's newest Baseball team the Macon Music held there Season Grand Opening at Luther Williams Field and had to turn close to 2,000 people around at the gates, the next two games continued to sell out.

There are also great museums, which attract international attention like the Georgia Music Hall of Fame, the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame ( largest indoor sports hall of fame in the United States ) and the Tubman African Musuem. This is just a brief of what can be found in Macon if you need further information you can contact me through email on this site, or either through the following links.

Bibb County Home Page
The Official City of Macon Web Site - Home Page
Macon.com | Homepage
Bibb County Public Schools
Macon Georgia CVB: Macon Hotels, Vacations, Attractions and Tourism
Macon Magazine - Macon Georgia Entertainment, Restaurants & Tourism
Georgia Sports Hall of Fame and Museum
Georgia Music Hall of Fame
The Medical Center of Central Georgia - Home
Tubman African American Museum
Greater Macon Chamber of Commerce
Macon Arts in Macon, Georgia serving the communities of Middle Georgia. Literature, Visual arts, Dance, Theatre, Music

Old 06-06-2007, 05:50 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,255,572 times
Default What are your needs?

To give you neighborhood advice, we need a few things. What size and price range did you have in mind and do you have children that you are wanting to send to public school? Both are huge factors.

As far as the Macon bashers on here, they are entitled to their own opinion, but after spending several months in Baton Rouge post-Katrina and all that it entails, in my opinion, Macon is nicer and definitely less expensive.

Here are copies of some of my previous posts about the area.

------I moved to Macon 4 years ago after living in Arizona and Virginia. Macon is definately Southern in character. Honestly, I wasn't very impressed when I first moved here as Macon does not do a very good job of selling itself. After living here awhile, I decided to quit my job before my next transfer and remain in the area. I love it here now. Housing costs are very low--you can get a great place for under 200,000 or a 4000 sq ft home for 400,000. There is a great sense of history in the city and there are many improvements occurring in the old downtown areas. There are actually quite a few amenities for a city its size such as plays, symphony, art shows, etc. and the location just 80 miles south of atlanta is nice too for travelling (non-stop anywhere from Atlanta airport), larger city amenities (pro sports, concerts, etc). There are many great restaurants in the area and I am never bored as there are many activities to attend throughout the year. The people are very friendly too.

You will invariably see someone post about the crime in Macon and how the city is awful. I will address this first and foremost. Yes there are terrible parts of the city that are infested with crime, but I have yet to find a single metropolitan area in the US with a metro population of nearly 400,000 that doesn't have blighted areas. Unless you are living in public housing and make your living dealing drugs you are not exposed to any more crime than one would face anywhere else. I have lived in the city very near downtown and have yet to be a victim of any crime.

As far as the job market is concerned, it is dicey depending on what your skills are. White-collar jobs are sometimes tough to find, but jobs in the service industry are very plentiful. Pay is less than the national average, but housing costs are so low that you can usually have a higher standard of living than many other areas.

I just touched on some high points of living in Macon. If you have further questions, just ask.

I have lived in Warner Robins and now I live in Macon. The cities are part of the same consolidated metro area according to the census and both rely on the other. Many people in Macon work at Robins or for the defense contractors in WR and many people in Warner Robins come to Macon for work, shopping, etc. The communities are different, but are invariably linked as well. I wish the two would work together to improve all of Middle Georgia instead of fighting with one another. New jobs coming to Bibb or Houston counties improve the whole area and if anyone thinks that businesses looking to relocate or build a new facility do not look at data from the region as a whole instead of just the immediate county, they are mistaken. This goes for Monroe, Jones, and Peach counties as well.

We are all in this together to grow as a region and the more that the localities work together, the better the standard of living we all will have.------------

Old 06-06-2007, 06:09 AM

Thanks for all the information everyone! I'm looking for 1-3 bedroom apartments in the 700-1000 dollar range. I don't have any children, so schools are not my concern.

I'm just concerned because I have seen some "nice" apartments online, yet, I know often what you see on the internet is totally different when you see it in person. I moved to Baton Rouge, LA about 3 years ago and I know what it is like to move to a location because of the price, but realize quickly that the neighborhood is not the best.

Baton Rouge also has a very high crime rate. I'm trying to avoid being smack in the middle of rough neighborhoods. At the same time, I don't want to have pay a crazy amount of money for rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon