Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 09:25 AM

966 posts, read 2,446,259 times

Advertisements

No, I am not dying. It's a metaphor, people, a metaphor. I've got twenty-seven more days left in Madison before I return to NYC. I am making up a list of places to visit that are oh-so-Madison. I've seen and enjoyed quite a bit, despite or in light of the ups and downs I have experienced as a student back in the eighties, as a teacher and a performing artist for two years after graduation, as a returning student, as a tourist, and this year as a college professor and writer on a leave of absence. My book manuscript is pretty much finished, and now I want to have some fun "doing the Madison."

Here are some of the places or events I have enjoyed so far:

The Memorial Union (of course)
Maxwell Street (back in the day)
The Farmers' Market
Michael's
Glass Nickel
Arbor House
The Art Fair on the Square
Shangri La
La Fete de Marquette
Madison public library events at the South Madison and Lakeview branches
The Goodman Community Center
The Cafe Costa Rica
Frida
Five Guys
Centro Hispano (fiesta honoring the fantastic murals recently created)
Ground Zero
Bunky's
A Room of One's Own
Etc.

Here are a few places that I still want to visit:

Ella's Deli
Mother Fools
The Barrymore

There has to be more. Help me add to my list. You know what they say about all work and no joy. Just remember that I am weary of breaking racial barriers (lol), if you get my drift. I am down-to-earth and still kind of a hippy chick. I enjoy good food, music, poetry, film, a variety of cultures, etc. I've been living on a shoestring here, writing and working as a community educator in a local nonprofit, and I am saving my pennies for my trip back to NYC. So think: low-cost, friendly, fun, Madison.

Thanks a lot. I want to bring more good memories back to NYC with me and/or give myself more to look forward to if I should visit Madison again.

Last edited by Nala8; 07-25-2010 at 09:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 08:23 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times
Take a Metro bus ride around the city one day. No better way to get to know the true blue Madison than by taking a ride on the city bus. If you like nature you can go to the Arboretum or Olbrich Gardens, they are nice, peaceful and cheap places you can go to reflect and not spend too much money. They will make you see the softer side of Madison, less nuttiness...I would say do bike rides, take walks through nice neighborhoods and basically appreciate the simple stuff we take for granted, the serenity, cleanliness, peacefulness, etc.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Take a Metro bus ride around the city one day. No better way to get to know the true blue Madison than by taking a ride on the city bus. If you like nature you can go to the Arboretum or Olbrich Gardens, they are nice, peaceful and cheap places you can go to reflect and not spend too much money. They will make you see the softer side of Madison, less nuttiness...I would say do bike rides, take walks through nice neighborhoods and basically appreciate the simple stuff we take for granted, the serenity, cleanliness, peacefulness, etc.
Awesome ideas, Chelito. I take the Metro bus to work all the time--so far, Wexford Ridge, Allied, Truax, Northport--and to visit friends. But when was the last time I just rode a bus to take in Madison? Definitely on my list. The softer--less nutty--side of Madison sounds truly inviting. I love nature, so the Arboretum and Olbrich Gardens also sound very nice. Much thanks.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:17 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,796 times
Take in a Wednesday evening Concert on the Square.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Take in a Wednesday evening Concert on the Square.
Thank you, Ragnar. I'm thinking there must be a website listing. Will google it. I live in the downtown area, and the first night was crowded with a lot folk behaving in ways that could only be described as stuffy or conservative. To each his or her own, right? But I'd rather go on an evening when the music will draw a more relaxed crowd.

Edit: Ahhh... So it looks like I missed the Beatles tribute. But next week looks promising: a Russian Festival (exciting).

Last edited by Nala8; 07-26-2010 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: Googled it

Old 07-26-2010, 07:42 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,596,187 times
Picnic Point - Lakeshore Nature Preserve is worth visiting, although it would be buggy and you may run into some "public displays of affection" like Olin Park is known for.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Picnic Point - Lakeshore Nature Preserve is worth visiting, although it would be buggy and you may run into some "public displays of affection" like Olin Park is known for.
Sounds cool--minus the pda. I have heard a few things about Olin Park... I promise to avert my eyes. As for Picnic Point, that's where Avon's Skin-so-Soft might come in. Scary that this scent wards off mosquitoes. lol.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:30 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
I sure wouldn't call "Five Guys" oh-so-Madison seeing how it's a national chain. If you liked it, good news: there are several in NYC.

One of my favorite places to eat in Madison is Pasqual's on Monroe. It's a simple and unique take on basic Mexican/Tex-Mex.

It may be almost too cliche, but have you done a tour of the capitol building yet? It's reputed to be the nicest outside of Washington DC.

Look into Mickey's and see if they still do Celtic music jam sessions on Wednesdays. The music may not be your bag but it's usually a great crowd.

The biergarten at the downtown Great Dane is the best I've ever been to, and one of the most exquisite places to spend a Wisconsin summer afternoon/evening. Even if you're not into beer, grab a lunch or dinner there. (Pics below taken by yours truly)

http://cdn.pubcrawler.com/photos/p2471-09032002023858-1033.jpg (broken link)

http://cdn.pubcrawler.com/photos/p2471-09032002023840-1033.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-27-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I sure wouldn't call "Five Guys" oh-so-Madison seeing how it's a national chain. If you liked it, good news: there are several in NYC.

One of my favorite places to eat in Madison is Pasqual's on Monroe. It's a simple and unique take on basic Mexican/Tex-Mex.

It may be almost too cliche, but have you done a tour of the capitol building yet? It's reputed to be the nicest outside of Washington DC.

Look into Mickey's and see if they still do Celtic music jam sessions on Wednesdays. The music may not be your bag but it's usually a great crowd.

The biergarten at the downtown Great Dane is the best I've ever been to, and one of the most exquisite places to spend a Wisconsin summer afternoon/evening. Even if you're not into beer, grab a lunch or dinner there. (Pics below taken by yours truly)

Thanks for the suggestions, Drover. Great pics, btw. Mickey's sounds especially interesting. I love all kinds of music, and I have always had a special place in my heart for Celtic culture. Faerie lore, ballads, etc. Have you ever heard of the Afro Celt Sound System? Awesome fusion... Could be the spirit of my Irish ancestor making his presence known here.

I also love a great hamburger, which is why I associate Five Guys with Madison. Best hamburger on State Street, imo, esp. when I would stay at the University Inn. What I am looking for is not so much places or events that one can only find in Madison, but rather those that I feel express the flavor--so to speak--of Madison. Ella's comes to mind here as well. There are Ella's Deli branches in other cities, but Ella's will always represent a little taste of Madison to me.

Keep 'em rollin'. Thanks again.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
There's a Five Guys on State Street now? Cool. Well, not cool in a way since State Street is gradually losing its independent flavor as more local shops get priced out and regional/national chains take their place. But if that's the inevitable way of things... well, then that's one of the chains I'd want there.

And there's only one Ella's Deli. There used to be one on State Street too, but Ella's truly is a Madison original and exclusive.

Since you like burgers, have you tried Dotty's yet? It's another Madison "institution" that UW alumae tend to have fond memories of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison