Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2010, 12:58 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,813 times

Advertisements

In an area that isn't crime ridden. Maybe right outside Madison like Fitchburg or some place near?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 02:06 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
In an area that isn't crime ridden. Maybe right outside Madison like Fitchburg or some place near?
No, I don't believe it is possible. I just tried to help a friend find a new apartment (she had been paying $690 for a two bedroom, but the neighborhood went bad).

Maybe Stoughton. Housing prices are lower there.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:56 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
No. I doubt you'll find many habitable one bedrooms at $650 either. You may well need to look in outlying towns, and when I say "outlying" I mean "not part of the contiguous Madison/suburban developed area" but in a satellite town far enough away to have corn between it and Madison's ring of "true" suburbs. Such as Stoughton as suggested above.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:28 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,796 times
It may be possible because independent landlords don't always advertise their places the same way larger corporations do. I found a great large one-bedroom place with a garage in the Hilldale (near West) area a few years ago for $535 per month. I found it by driving around various streets and checking out "For Rent" signs outside of different places. The economy has changed now, but finding a decent one-bedroom place under $650 in a nice area should still be possible, albeit difficult, as you probably will not be able to do it from a distance. If you require a two-bedroom for under $650 you will likely need to settle for a less-desireable area in Madison or live further out.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:22 AM

3 posts, read 6,036 times
You could try Park Village apartments, on Park St just north of the Beltline. It is kind of in a "rough" neighborhood by Madison standards, but I can't honestly call any part of Madison really dangerous. I lived there 2 years (2003-05) and never had a problem. You should be able to get a spacious 2 bedroom for less than $700.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:38 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Yes it is, I just found 212 apartments on c-list. madison apts/housing for rent classifieds "madison" - craigslist

Old 07-31-2010, 03:27 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Yes it is, I just found 212 apartments on c-list. madison apts/housing for rent classifieds "madison" - craigslist
I went through the first 6 listings and two weren't in Madison, three were in bad neighborhoods and the last one wasn't an ad at all. I didn't go any further. The OP wanted to know if it was possible to find an apartment at that price in a nice neighborhood.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:40 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
I went through the first 6 listings and two weren't in Madison, three were in bad neighborhoods and the last one wasn't an ad at all. I didn't go any further. The OP wanted to know if it was possible to find an apartment at that price in a nice neighborhood.
The Op also said in and around Madison. I'm sure not all 212 were in all bad areas of madison. Define Nice? Is Hillcrest Drive at Mineral Point Road a bad area?

Old 07-31-2010, 06:24 PM

507 posts, read 878,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc738 View Post
You could try Park Village apartments, on Park St just north of the Beltline. It is kind of in a "rough" neighborhood by Madison standards, but I can't honestly call any part of Madison really dangerous. I lived there 2 years (2003-05) and never had a problem. You should be able to get a spacious 2 bedroom for less than $700.

Madison is MUCH more crime ridden than 5-7 years ago.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:09 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
Anything is "possible" but it is unlikely you will find a steal, deal or bargain type apartment in Madison based in your price range. If you are strictly going on price, you will have to sacrifice the quality of the neighborhood. If you are willing to be somewhat more flexible on the minimum rent, or consider a larger apartment with a roommate, you could have a very nice place, in your price range and in a very nice area.

The problem is this is the time of year when apartments will be at a premium with Fall classes starting soon...so it is supply vs. demand. You should be cautious if you find an apartment with the specifications you seek IN Madison proper. There may be a few hidden gems around but I wouldn't hold my breath. Monona, Stoughton, Sun Prairie, Verona and Cross Plains are all within a half hour of downtown Madison and are much cheaper alternatives. Consider looking in those communities where you will find safe and more affordable housing options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison