Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2010, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,568 times

Advertisements

I live in Dekorra WI. I never had anything against farmers until I owned land next to a couple. One farmer who is also on the town board here actually believed he did not have to follow the state law on no trespassing. This farmer went on an acre of our land, sprayed round up and killed all the grass/clover/alfalfa and planted his soybeans. He then harvested his soybeans within inches around our NO TRESPASSING signs. He left the ground barren and now all that grows is thistles and now they are complaining about the thistles. Can you believe that? And this farmer serves on our town board. See why my user name is runfromdekorra. I mean it. You would be foolish to come here. And believe it or not he is not the only one here that thinks they truly are above the law. I have other personal experiences. These people are crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 05:00 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,528,829 times
File a lawsuit, make him pay damages and such teach the SOB a lesson. Charge for crop loss and he has to replant with what was lost, what could charge land rental, and if farm was considered a organic could bust for that also.

Most farmers would not do things like that as know property lines and if needed the extra land would offered to rent it. This sounds like a crop farmer that thinks rules all land in area and can and will do what wants until someone pulls the plug out of his behind. Fences help also and can make pay for half the fence so never happens again.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:07 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,191,355 times
Does seem like an out of the ordinary experience. I live in the countryside among many farmers, and have found them to be extremely helpful and considerate, by and large.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:59 PM

15 posts, read 56,447 times
Thanks for replying. Just an update. The farmer that trespassed and is not complaining about the thistles.....I received a letter in the mail from an attorney he hired for the thistles and saying I am harassing them and I hadn't talk to them since we put up a fence last fall. They contacted us about the thistles. So if there is any harassment going on it is them harassing us. Unbelievable.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:19 PM

164 posts, read 559,795 times
Is there a dispute about the property line? Has the farmer been using that land for a number of years? He may be able to claim a perscriptive easement if he has been farming it, undisputed, for a certain number of years depending on local law. Property rights are not always very straightforward, depending on the circumstances. If it's that important to you, it might be wise to have lawyers sort it out.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:39 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,003,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runfromdekorra View Post
I live in Dekorra WI. I never had anything against farmers until I owned land next to a couple. One farmer who is also on the town board here actually believed he did not have to follow the state law on no trespassing. This farmer went on an acre of our land, sprayed round up and killed all the grass/clover/alfalfa and planted his soybeans. He then harvested his soybeans within inches around our NO TRESPASSING signs. He left the ground barren and now all that grows is thistles and now they are complaining about the thistles. Can you believe that? And this farmer serves on our town board. See why my user name is runfromdekorra. I mean it. You would be foolish to come here. And believe it or not he is not the only one here that thinks they truly are above the law. I have other personal experiences. These people are crazy.
I believe the gentleman needs a wake-up call.

Next time he does something like this on YOUR land, simply wait for his crop (again, the portion on your land) to break the soil, then rent a plow and disc up the land he planted.

FYI, I'm not a lawyer, but Wisconsin has a law against overspray should he claim that is why your land is now fallow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
View detailed profiles of: