Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 02:09 PM

6 posts, read 23,942 times

Advertisements

I am possibly moving to Fitchburg, WI from Illinois for the summer 2012 for an internship. Is there ay reasonable housing in terms of price and location. I also noticed there have been a few murders there the past few years... is Fitchburg safe? Also, is there any night life for a male in his mid-twenties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 02:28 PM

164 posts, read 560,174 times
Depends where in Fitchburg you are looking. Towards the beltline is where you will find a lot of the crime. Further south and it becomes more rural. A young person will probably get bored, as there is no real downtown to Fitchburg. Your best bet would be the Great Dane for a place to hang out. If a good nightlife is a priority, why don't you live closer to Madison's downtown and commute?

Old 02-21-2012, 07:24 PM

I did think of that as an option, I just wasn't sure how much more the cost would be. i.e., rent. Nightlife isn't a top priority, but definitely a plus. Thanks for giving me an idea of what to expect.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:30 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,623,911 times
I would check out www.Madisonapartmentliving.com and research the Madison forum. It has a wealth of information. I looked all over Madison prior to moving to Middleton. I like our location as we are about 10-12 minutes to State Street. Send me a message if you need any help.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:37 PM

Thanks for that information! I will use this a guide to looking for a place.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,293,311 times
Even if nightlife is only a "plus" the near-dearth of it in Fitchburg would be enough for me to put up with the commute from a more lively area closer to downtown and the campus area -- though in my mid-20s I was just a bit too old to live smack dab in the campus area. Somewhere on the periphery such as Monroe Street seems like a decent compromise.

When I lived in Madison in the mid-90s traffic flowed pretty well on Park Street to Fish Hatchery out toward Fitchburg even during rush hour. But the population has grown quite a bit since then and overall traffic has gotten worse so I don't know if that's still the case. I know the Beltline is an absolute mess during rush hour any more...

Old 02-22-2012, 06:33 AM

164 posts, read 560,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNative View Post
I did think of that as an option, I just wasn't sure how much more the cost would be. i.e., rent. Nightlife isn't a top priority, but definitely a plus. Thanks for giving me an idea of what to expect.
Don't rent something in Fitchburg because it is cheap. It's cheap for a reason, and the neighborhood can change suddenly around there. Personally I wouldn't live anywhere off Fish Hatchery from the beltline to PD. West on PD is fine, if you like cookie cutter suburbs. If it's just a summer internship, you could easily find a student sublet closer to Madison. I agree with the Monroe street area for your age range.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:55 AM

I am not a fan of cookie cutter suburbs, and after reading your post(s) and doing some further research, it does appear to fit me better to live in Madison. I have only been to Madison twice, and I have yet to learn the geography of the city and area. Thanks for the advice. Any further information that comes up that you can share would be great! Thanks again for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison