Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 09:29 PM

103 posts, read 210,621 times

Advertisements

At risk of starting a flame war (sorry!), I have a question about Madison. I am considering going to graduate school at UW-Madison and concerned about fitting in as a conservative in such a liberal place. Should I be concerned this? I'm not exactly coming from a conservative area so I am used to being around people who disagree, but how out-there is Madison? Am I going to be constantly arguing with protesters about something? Does everyone smoke pot/something else(?!)? I'm in a hard science subject area, so I won't have to deal with this in the academic arena.

Is something should legitimately be concerned about?

Old 03-11-2012, 10:46 PM

8,295 posts, read 23,142,857 times
As someone who experienced a little grade bias in college, I would not make it know to your professors that you maybe staunchly conservative however if you are well versed and a more "don't put up with it" kinda of person then I think you will be fine. Some professors and students don't give two rips what you think but then again like I have said some professors and students will basically black ball you for being conservative. Then again this was at UWM not Madison. You may want to disguise yourself. You can always get a Madison preparers kit that includes: 1 Prius with complimentary "coexists" sticker and a "have you hugged your mother" sticker as well 1 giant blue fist for your dorm window, 1 fake doctor sick note, 1 Union Yes badge, 1 hemp necklace, 1 month supply of patchouli oil, 1 bong drum, 1 tent, 1 air horn, 1 cowbell and 1 beer in case you have to pour one on a republicans head. I say this as a joke but as far as your classes I think it really depends on the classes you take.

Good Luck and I would pick up a calling card just in case you need to be rescued from Dane County and you can't get out.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:27 AM

607 posts, read 980,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyXCWRU View Post
At risk of starting a flame war (sorry!), I have a question about Madison. I am considering going to graduate school at UW-Madison and concerned about fitting in as a conservative in such a liberal place. Should I be concerned this? I'm not exactly coming from a conservative area so I am used to being around people who disagree, but how out-there is Madison? Am I going to be constantly arguing with protesters about something? Does everyone smoke pot/something else(?!)? I'm in a hard science subject area, so I won't have to deal with this in the academic arena.

Is something should legitimately be concerned about?
There are some really nutty liberals in Madison no doubt. If you avoid talking about politics you will be fine. Just ignore the protesters.....there is always a person protesting about something.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:23 AM

63 posts, read 170,880 times
Madison isn't anywhere close to as liberal as many in Madison think it is. People talk a liberal game but are hesitant to pay more taxes for the school system that desperately needs it and there is a problem with racism in Madison. Conservative family values are much more prevalent in Madison than any other lifestyle, too... And no, not everyone in Madison smokes pot!

Madison is overwhelmingly pro-choice and a little paranoid about guns but Madison votes almost exclusively for mainstream Democratic corporate politicians. A city like Missoula, Montana, for instance, which is much more liberal than Madison, has Green Party politicians in high ranking positions in City and State Government. You never see that in Madison. Madison is very big on law enforcement, too...

Madison was a very progressive liberal town in the 60's and 70's and rests on their laurels from that era

An example: tens of thousands of people have protested almost daily against Republican Governor Scott Walker. A million signatures were taken in to recall him from office, millions of dollars were raised, and now what does Madison seem prepared to do? Elect Kathleen Falk, about as mainstream corporate Democrat as they come in Dane County, to run against him. And Falk has no prayer of winning a state-wide election

Conservatives have no problem living in Madison, and if you have a good sense of humor, the hypocrisy of most Madison liberals" provides a few chuckles throughout the day.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:10 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,403,958 times
It depends on how outspoken you are. If you are someone who lives for political debates, you will be frustrated quickly as there will be few that share your beliefs.

Despite being liberal myself, I'm perhaps hyper aware of the constant comments and assumptions regarding politics because I come from a very conservative family.

It is something you will have to live with every day, but no one is going to egg your house or toilet paper your yard over it.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:22 PM

164 posts, read 560,255 times
It's sad that OP has to be so apologetic and tentative to even ask the question.

Congratulations, Madison. This is what the rest of the (real) world thinks of you.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:16 AM

62 posts, read 163,319 times
I would say that Madison is a pretty liberal place and there's been a lot of vitriol since Scott Walker became governor. You basically have a town that is driven by its main employers: government and education, so a liberal mindset shouldn't surprise anyone. It does become a bit tiresome to those of us who are a more conservative and/or don't live and die by politics.

That said, a lot of this is tempered by that fact that most Madisonians are genuinely friendly, welcoming and ready to have a good time.

Just learn to love the Packers, Badgers and beer and keep your mouth shut on all else and you'll be fine!

Old 03-14-2012, 12:44 PM

63 posts, read 170,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Licks View Post
I would say that Madison is a pretty liberal place and there's been a lot of vitriol since Scott Walker became governor. You basically have a town that is driven by its main employers: government and education, so a liberal mindset shouldn't surprise anyone. It does become a bit tiresome to those of us who are a more conservative and/or don't live and die by politics.

That said, a lot of this is tempered by that fact that most Madisonians are genuinely friendly, welcoming and ready to have a good time.

Just learn to love the Packers, Badgers and beer and keep your mouth shut on all else and you'll be fine!

While I disagree somewhat on how "liberal" Madison actually is, I agree with most of the rest of this. A lot of Madisonians are genuinely friendly. Although they can be a little weird in public, i.e. in the South people say hello to each other on the sidewalks and show a little more common courtesy to each other

In Madison sometimes people get weirded out when you say hello to them on the sidewalks, this is especially true with women when a man says hello: no, lady, I'm not trying to pick you up, I'm just being neighborly. But again this is more of a North-South difference than picking on Madison. For instance, try saying hello to someone on the sidewalk in Detroit!

I do think people are friendlier in Chicago than in Madison, but Madison is friendlier than Minneapolis, so it really depends.

The problem with talking politics with a Madisonian isn't so much the liberal-conservative thing, it is that many people in Madison call themselves "liberals" but have no clue what a liberal is, they just follow the herd and get their talking points from TV.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:05 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,037,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving_South View Post
While I disagree somewhat on how "liberal" Madison actually is, I agree with most of the rest of this. A lot of Madisonians are genuinely friendly. Although they can be a little weird in public, i.e. in the South people say hello to each other on the sidewalks and show a little more common courtesy to each other

In Madison sometimes people get weirded out when you say hello to them on the sidewalks, this is especially true with women when a man says hello: no, lady, I'm not trying to pick you up, I'm just being neighborly. But again this is more of a North-South difference than picking on Madison. For instance, try saying hello to someone on the sidewalk in Detroit!

I do think people are friendlier in Chicago than in Madison, but Madison is friendlier than Minneapolis, so it really depends.

The problem with talking politics with a Madisonian isn't so much the liberal-conservative thing, it is that many people in Madison call themselves "liberals" but have no clue what a liberal is, they just follow the herd and get their talking points from TV.
i'd agree on the above, based on 40+ years in Wi and 3 now in SC. Tell ya one thing, i would not worry about what beliefs my neighbors have regardless of where i live. Where i'm at now, my next door neighbor is a deep conservative; and while we dont agree on every topic that does not lead to knock down arguments. In fact we have a good relationship. And on the other side we had a county sherriff who had his own set of politics. Again didnt matter if i agreed or disagreed. In fact down here i run into more "discussions" on religion then politics

Old 03-14-2012, 05:39 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,551,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving_South View Post
Madison isn't anywhere close to as liberal as many in Madison think it is.
Yep, and herein lies the problem. I'm pretty moderate, but I find this mindset much more annoying than being authentically liberal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Licks View Post
It does become a bit tiresome to those of us who are a more conservative and/or don't live and die by politics.
This too. I don't mind people's differing beliefs so much as I mind it when people feel the need to constantly wear it on their sleeves. Especially when they have no clue what they're talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison