Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 05:29 PM

4 posts, read 7,891 times

Advertisements

What are the differences between the east and west of Madison. I just relocated here and currently living in Middleton. I have pretty much only been in this area or downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 05:47 PM

63 posts, read 170,679 times
Well, there are a few different "East Sides" of Madison and a few different "West Sides", too... by that I mean different neighborhoods reflect different cultures.

The Williamson Street/Atwood neighborhoods are fairly different from other East side neighborhoods which are even more working class and less affluent.

General differences between East and West:

West is more affluent, more mainstream corporate democrat, less crime

East is more working class, more Progressive/Liberal (especially in the The Williamson Street/Atwood neighborhoods), a little more crime

Many will say that the West Side of Madison has better schools, I don't know if that is completely true anymore but it was in the past (Madison West is a great school, Madison Memorial: not so much)

Here is a generalization for you but there is some truth in it: on the West Side you could throw a rock and it would likely hit a Soccer Mom who watches American Idol and Dancing with the Stars. Throw a rock on the East Side of Madison (especially in The Williamson Street/Atwood neighborhoods) and you will likely hit a tattooed woman with a nose-ring who could care less about TV.

Anywhere in Madison that you throw a rock, you might get sued, or have Facebook light up with how offended people are at your rock throwing

Old 03-16-2012, 12:04 PM

12 posts, read 27,567 times
I have to agree with Moving_South, your question is so vague that it is difficult to answer. I have lived in so many different places in the Madison area (I just counted for the first time ever, fourteen different addresses ... holy crap!), that my POV has gotten too nuanced to make these broad generalizations easily. East side, west side, south side, north side (kinda .. borderline north/east), campus, capitol, Middleton, you name it. And anywhere I haven't yet lived, I know someone who does. I'm to the point where I am not just aware of differences of places miles apart, but six blocks apart.

The one thing I would add/contest to what MS has said, while what I would call the "near" east side is progressive/liberal, the "far" east side is probably one of the more conservative areas in the city (though that may not be saying much, it's all relative). You throw that rock on the far east side, you'd never hit that woman with a nose ring in a million billion years. LOL, in fact at almost the moment Moving South posted that claim that you won't find people on the east side watching Idol, I was visiting a house on the far east side with Idol playing on the TV

Old 03-16-2012, 03:13 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,236 times
I beg to differ. Not all the nose-ring wearing, tattooed women can afford to live on the near east side. For all its progressiveness, it ain't cheap to buy a house there. The far east side is mostly conservative middle/working class people, but there is a fair sprinkling of more colorful folks.

Sincerely

A Tattooed Lady

Old 03-18-2012, 09:05 AM

607 posts, read 978,210 times
In general, the east side just right of the Capital area is old and use to be industrial. Some of the plants closed and some buildings are not occupied (at least they were not when I moved away). There isn't much space available for a yard. Thus, those who can afford a more expensive home and want a yard tend to go into the areas of the city where you can get that stuff. The homes around the UW hospital and just north of Madison West High School tend to be university people who are tenured.

The doctors and other university employees, along with state workers, tend to live on the far west side.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:49 AM

63 posts, read 170,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
I beg to differ. Not all the nose-ring wearing, tattooed women can afford to live on the near east side. For all its progressiveness, it ain't cheap to buy a house there. The far east side is mostly conservative middle/working class people, but there is a fair sprinkling of more colorful folks.

Sincerely

A Tattooed Lady
I hear ya! As I said it was a generalization. And for the record, I love the tatooed lady look
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
View detailed profiles of: