Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 05:03 AM

3 posts, read 18,126 times

Advertisements

I'm a white woman who wants to move there. I really am asking this because I want my children to be around a diverse neighborhood so they could learn how to accept people of ALL RACES. Are the schools diverse? Has anyone noticed any changes to the african american community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 05:28 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,390,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah2012 View Post
I'm a white woman who wants to move there. I really am asking this because I want my children to be around a diverse neighborhood so they could learn how to accept people of ALL RACES. Are the schools diverse? Has anyone noticed any changes to the african american community?
Im not too sure about Madison, its been years since I was out there (I live in NE WI).
But everyone I know all say that Milwaukee is kinda a 'dark' city, if you know what I mean. Big time. You might research those facts right here in cd, look under Wisconsin, it'll give you all the facts about any town/city.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:11 AM

607 posts, read 977,971 times
Quote:
The Madison area is about 76% white. There are some pockets of this so called diversity, but most are White.

White alone - 176,463 (75.7%)
Asian alone - 17,126 (7.3%)
Black alone - 16,507 (7.1%)
Hispanic - 15,948 (6.8%)
Two or more races - 5,961 (2.6%)
American Indian alone - 763 (0.3%)
Other race alone - 374 (0.2%)
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 67 (0.03%)

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/city/Madiso...#ixzz1zZ4u1xbZ

Old 07-03-2012, 08:02 AM

3 posts, read 18,126 times
need more comments!!!!

Old 07-03-2012, 08:10 AM

607 posts, read 977,971 times
Quote:
need more comments!!!!
It is during the work day and a holiday is here tomorrow. Just relax and leave people respond if they care to.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:29 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
US2010

US2010

You can look up more here: US2010

It is for communities with 10,000 people or more at this current time.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:50 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,018,343 times
Quote:
need more comments!!!!
are there any other reasons for choosing Madison? Are there other questions or concerns, from employment to schools to activities, to address? There can be many reasons to choose a place to call home, so if you are not familiar with the area then if you have other q's fire away.
As shown Madison has a higher % that is white, though certain areas and school districts will have some diversity. I'd add that not all suburbs offer much for mixed races, so if you want your kids to go to schools with children of other ethnic backgrounds then staying in the city likely is something to focus on.

So i'd say give the readers here some more background to help tailor answers to your initial post; otherwise if that's it then you likely have the numbers you were looking for as a starting point

Old 07-03-2012, 12:46 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
As shown Madison has a higher % that is white, though certain areas and school districts will have some diversity. I'd add that not all suburbs offer much for mixed races, so if you want your kids to go to schools with children of other ethnic backgrounds then staying in the city likely is something to focus on.
If you pick a neighborhood that feeds into Orchard Ridge, Huegel or Falk Elementary schools, your children will get plenty of opportunities to interact with folks from different races, and if they're white they may even be in the minority themselves.

Regardless of where you live and your children go to school, you may even wish to seek out purposeful diversity for your kids on a regular basis. For example, Fountain of Life Church in Madison, although predominantly African American, is still a rather diverse community to be a part of. You may also wish to volunteer as a family at any number of neighborhood community centers, food distribution posts, etc. throughout the city.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:31 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,133,060 times
Madison's population is steadily growing across the board. There isn't anything explosive or sudden or fast about it...but I would say that anecdotally there are many more African Americans now than there were 10 years ago....you will see them in stores, on the road, walking around, on public transport, in different areas of the city....so although they are a small portion of the overall population, they are well represented if you get out and about and don't live in the cocoon of the university or government. There are also several neighborhoods with a high Black population throughout the city located on the Southwest side, South Side, East Side and North Side. All these areas have neighborhoods with a visible Black community even if they aren't the overwhelming majority for that "side" of town. The public schools are minority majority across the board in almost all neighborhoods...so it would be easier to mention the predominantly white schools than to mention which ones have more "minorities."

If a large, healthy and prominant Black community is a main goal, I wouldn't recommend Madison. It is lacking when it comes to an array of different types of African Americans, one tends to see the stereotypes, due to overall small numbers, in a small city, with a relatively recent Black community (not historic like in the south). People complain that it is hard to meet Black professionals, etc.and to hang out at non-ghetto Black establishments as well. Milwaukee might be a better choice if that is an issue, but Madison can certainly fit the bill for what you want, when compared to other smaller Wisconsin cities.

Good luck!

Old 07-04-2012, 08:41 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
While Madison is pretty substantially majority white, the public school system is not. Find the right elementary-school attendance boundaries and you're in business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison