Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 03:59 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Middleton is a really nice city, and I would have recommended it as it has a lot of what you're looking for in terms of community feel, size, and so on, but the commute to your workplace would be a real pain, to say nothing of costing you plenty in gas and vehicle wear & tear. My kid who lives in Sun Prairie commutes to Middleton for work, and she is on the road a good 45 minutes each way, longer in the winter. You'd also be pretty much stuck with using the Beltline, and the Beltline at rush hour is not a fun experience.
I'd second that on the transit time on the beltline. My wife had to take it for 17+ yrs, and to be honest there were not many good clean travel days. Just took one accident on the bridge over the marsh to nearly stop traffic both ways, and the minute that stretch iced up (or was snow covered) forget about it. I'd say based on the OP's work site, east Madison, Sun Prairie, or perhaps McFarland/Stoughton make the most sense (possibly Cottage Grove area). But Sun Prairie is the only one of those burbs that is more of a small city rather then a village type; and will offer the most amenities (plus a short drive into Madison when needed).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 01:03 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
The beltline IS hideous. While I drive it in every morning, I go home via E. Wash/Milwaukee Street. As I still haven't figured out where Tradewinds Parkway is, y'all say out by American Family north of Eash Wash, but google maps has it south of the beltline east of 51, I'd say the OP may not have to use the beltline at all. Actually hardly at all, no matter which of the locations it is, IF he stays to the east of the city. Now, Middleton, he WOULD have to cross the city, and either take the beltline, or go around the lakes on M/113/northport, etc. Both would stink, imho. So, OP?? Stay looking east. Monona, Cottage Grove, Deerfield (10 minutes to Madison via 12/18, and has not been mentioned) or Sun Prairie, McFarland, Stoughton.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:10 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Middleton is a really nice city, and I would have recommended it as it has a lot of what you're looking for in terms of community feel, size, and so on, but the commute to your workplace would be a real pain, to say nothing of costing you plenty in gas and vehicle wear & tear. My kid who lives in Sun Prairie commutes to Middleton for work, and she is on the road a good 45 minutes each way, longer in the winter. You'd also be pretty much stuck with using the Beltline, and the Beltline at rush hour is not a fun experience.

I don't know any details about the management company involved, but both of the Sun Prairie apartment complexes you mention are in very good neighborhoods and would be well worth considering. If the rent is in your range and they have a vacancy, you go a long ways and do a lot worse.

As far as the management companies are concerned, I am also going to give you another link that I'd strongly encourage you to visit. The Tenant Resource Center is just a fantastic resource for renters in the area, and while they focus on Madison, they do cover all of Dane County. Think of them as a kind of Better Business Bureau for landlords; they primarily help with mediating tenant/landlord disputes, but in the process, they quickly figure out which landlords are the good guys and which are not. I'd suggest that you call them rather than emailing, though, as they are a totally volunteer-run organization, and sometimes emails get overlooked. They're also really busy at this time of year, since the annual "Turnover week" (when all campus-area apartment leases end and start) is fast approaching.

Let us know when you'll be in town - good luck with getting all the details figured out!
I favorited that link. I will likely be in town the week of the 26th this month or perhaps a bit later. I'm visited Madison a few times in the past so it won't be territory that I'm completely unfamiliar with. I think I know the parts of the metro to focus on that are most convenient to my job in order to avoid using the beltway a good chunk of the time. It doesn't appear to pleasant from what others are saying.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:19 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
Hey Granite Stater, You posted a link to Gallina Management for apartment complexes. I rent with Gallina and overall they take good care of their property and there tenants. I recommend them for a property management company.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Hey Granite Stater, You posted a link to Gallina Management for apartment complexes. I rent with Gallina and overall they take good care of their property and there tenants. I recommend them for a property management company.
Thanks for that on the ground confirmation

I was told that most of the rural roads are paved! Wow, that is quite amazing as I'm used to driving on some truly awful roads on hilly terrain. What is the average snowfall per season in Madison? 50-75 inch range?

Old 08-10-2012, 07:46 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
Averages are a funny thing....

Technically, the "average" snowfall in Madison is around 50 inches for a winter. In the 13 years we've lived here, we've seen seasonal snowfall totals of anywhere from about 30 inches to over 100 inches. There was one winter when we had three feet of snow fall in December alone - and there have been others when we had less than three feet of snow the entire season.

In short, be prepared for anything, and you are unlikely to be disappointed.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Averages are a funny thing....

Technically, the "average" snowfall in Madison is around 50 inches for a winter. In the 13 years we've lived here, we've seen seasonal snowfall totals of anywhere from about 30 inches to over 100 inches. There was one winter when we had three feet of snow fall in December alone - and there have been others when we had less than three feet of snow the entire season.

In short, be prepared for anything, and you are unlikely to be disappointed.
all our years there, that avg near 50" seemed still too much but was tolerable. Then the "once in a lifetime" year over 100" came. Time to think about migrating south. Then another 100" year.... yep lets head south we said.
Of course we get to SC, and have an 8" snowstorm (3rd heaviest in history) and where 8" maybe delays school for 2 hours back home, it can shut the schools here for days lol though snow on palm trees is quite ironic. And if i remember from what our family told us, last year the winter in Madison was quite mild.

So as noted above, make sure your snowblower is gassed up if you own a home, make sure your car is ready, and you have good boots and outerwear and you'll be fine as winter will be mild. Dont prepare, and it will be a doozy

Old 08-12-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
all our years there, that avg near 50" seemed still too much but was tolerable. Then the "once in a lifetime" year over 100" came. Time to think about migrating south. Then another 100" year.... yep lets head south we said.
Of course we get to SC, and have an 8" snowstorm (3rd heaviest in history) and where 8" maybe delays school for 2 hours back home, it can shut the schools here for days lol though snow on palm trees is quite ironic. And if i remember from what our family told us, last year the winter in Madison was quite mild.

So as noted above, make sure your snowblower is gassed up if you own a home, make sure your car is ready, and you have good boots and outerwear and you'll be fine as winter will be mild. Dont prepare, and it will be a doozy
Well it sounds like winters in Madison are very similar to where I live in NH so I'm fairly certain I know what to expect in that regard. Also, I have a Subaru so that helps greatly with snow driving

Old 08-13-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Well it sounds like winters in Madison are very similar to where I live in NH so I'm fairly certain I know what to expect in that regard. Also, I have a Subaru so that helps greatly with snow driving
you should be fine for near anything that pops up. Heck i lived in Wi 47 years and never had a winter accident... in fact most of the time my worries were about other drivers and not so much on my own abilities. And if a solid blizzard does hit, frankly few venture out anyhow

Old 08-30-2012, 09:48 PM

I have finally arrived in Madison and have been busy trying to get a few furniture pieces lined up to deliver next week. I decided on a nice complex on the east side close to work. I haven't had too much time to explore the Downtown area, but everything is about what I expected so far, except for the heat. The position begins next Tuesday so I'm nearly set. I'll keep this updated as I learn the city and the surrounding area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison