Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2012, 10:31 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times

Advertisements

Oregon isn't on the Interstate, so although looking closer as the crow flies, it will take just as long as living in Madison. And no, it isn't diverse, but it is a suburban town, compared with Evansville.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 10:50 AM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,692 times
Oregon is a better choice in my opinion. It is a true bedroom community. While still somewhat rural, there are a good number of people who work in Madison who live there so you would have a more diverse group of neighbors. It is closer to Madison, so not such a hike to get things you need. One of the things I didn't mention about Evansville and Edgerton is that they don't have a lot of basic stores you would find in a larger city. There is a hardware store, a grocery store or two and that is about it. If you want anything else, you either have to order online or travel to Janesville or Madison which gets old after awhile. There is not such thing as running out quickly to pick up most things, it has to be a 3 hour affair with driving and shopping time. Oregon wouldn't be as bad in this regard.

The problem of driving time rears it's ugly head, however. According to mapquest, it is an hour drive to Beloit from Oregon. That assumes good weather conditions and not getting stuck behind a tractor. It is strictly country road between the two towns and you have to pass through a number of small towns and unincorporated areas to get there. You don't want to speed through these areas, which can be frustrating. I'm thinking you can assume at least an hour and a half drive in winter.

I wouldn't rule out Rockford. It isn't quite the hell hole that it has been painted to be. It sounds like you would have a decent income and be able to live in a nice area, which makes all the difference in the world. It is closer to Chicago and it's suburbs, more racially diverse and convenient to basic services.

Don't get me wrong, I love living in Madison and think it is one of the better places to live in the country (although Asheville, SC is similar and nicer in many ways), but you'd be looking at quite the commute. Come look at all of the communities you've considered, drive the route between Oregon and Beloit during your normal commute time, but don't rule Rockford out.

It is a big decision to move from one of the coasts to the midwest. The culture is completely different, so it would be best to spend some time here, a week if possible, to really explore all of your options.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:51 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
It is a big decision to move from one of the coasts to the midwest. The culture is completely different, so it would be best to spend some time here, a week if possible, to really explore all of your options.
similar to when we moved from Wi to SC, much different climate, culture, and costs to deal with (we actually spent 8 days in SC to research in person what city we wanted to live near, very helpful).
As with any move, i'd highly suggest renting the first year in a new market. That allows one to not only acclimate to the new job and surroundings, but to make sure the city/subdivision/school district is where you want to plant more long term roots in. If it's not, you are not tied to trying to sell a home in what is still a tougher market. Anyhow that's my .02

Old 09-22-2012, 06:22 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,951 times
Commute Times to Beloit, Wi

Suburbs of Madison, WI
Oregon, 38.6 miles, 58 minutes with traffic
Stoughton, 38.8 miles, 47 minutes with traffic
Fitchburg 48.4 miles, 1 hour, 8 minutes with traffic

Suburbs of Milwaukee, WI
Franklin, 67.9 miles, 1 hour, 16 minutes with traffic, mostly freeways
Muskego, 59.9 miles, 1 hour, 5 minutes with traffic, mostly freeways
New Berlin, 61.3 miles, 1 hour, 2 minute with traffic, mostly freeways

Suburbs of Chicago, IL
Woodstock, 42 miles, 59 minutes with traffic
Crystal Lake, 51.3 miles, 1 hour, 15 minutes with traffic
Mchenry, 60.3 miles, 1 hour, 11 minutes with traffic

Suburbs of Rockford, IL
Loves Park, 14.4 miles, 26 minutes with traffic
Roscoe, 7.5 miles, 14 minutes with traffic
Machesney Park, 12.9 miles, 21 minutes with traffic

Other Cities in WI Near Beloit
Evansville, 26 miles, 37 minutes with traffic
Edgerton, 27.7 miles, 33 minutes with traffic
Milton 22.3 miles, 32 minutes with traffic

according to google maps, hope this helps

Old 09-22-2012, 10:10 PM
a_k a_k started this thread

17 posts, read 31,649 times
Wow, that's a lot of great additional info! I am glad I found this forum!

Megan1967 - I appreciate your comments about Rockford. The reason I have been avoiding it is because I prefer living near a mid to large city and all the amenities it offers, even if just on weekends, such as good restaurants, entertainment, museums, healthcare, etc.

Drewjdeg - I hadn't considered Chicago suburbs but it looks like Woodstock may be an option, although with a long commute.

Anyone have any info on what Woodstock is like?

Old 09-23-2012, 01:33 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
Woodstock isn't really a suburb of Chicago, it is more an exurb. I don't see why it would be more desireable than anywhere else with the two lane roads connecting it to Beloit and a lack of shopping, everything would be an addition 30 minut commute to Randall Rd for most shopping beyond the basics of Wal Mart and Home Depot.

The bottom line is this: you said you want a suburban area in a mid sized city, with a short commute with decent schools and is safe and affordable. You have to trade off price for convenience, but the Rockford suburbs are your best bet.

Otherwise, Janesville is a small city that will have everything you need, will be cheaper and close, but not as diverse, which I really don't think is going to be a issue, it is 2012 afterall.

Besides, there are so many potential small towns or suburban areas, but you have to factor in the unecessarily long commutes for towns and cities that don't even MEET your criteria shopping wise and are border line too far for a twice a day commute. Stick to Beloit, Janesville, trust me, you can find what you need in either of these two cities. If they don't meet expectations, go with Rockford suburbs as a pefectly acceptable substitute. As a VERY LAST RESORT, you can look into Madison or MKE suburbs. But it makes zero sense to look at a rural farming community just outside of Madison or MKE...because then it is a long commute for you and it's still a hike for your wife for shopping and it would be rural-and rural in Wisconsin is not the same as rural in Pennsylvania. It means no businesses, subdivisions or towns. Just farm fields.

All signs point to Janesville, Beloit and Rockford. These places offer everything you need. Everywhere else is not practical and too far, especially considering winter weather and costs. If you had to live in one of the hour away places, it is doable, but it just isn't necessary with Rockford right there. If you need more than what it offers, there is Madison, MKE and Chicago, all about an hour away. It seems to make more sense to live close to schools, shopping and work and to be an hour away from large cities, vs on the fringer of a large city and having to commute two hours a day to work.

You will continue to get all sorts of feedback here, but a lot of it is good intentioned, but it just isn't what you are looking for based on your original post.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:23 AM

Yes, I will agree with chelito that Woodstock is more of an exurb not a suburb. The city of Chicago is 51.4 miles away, which can take hours with traffic. The Madison suburbs are nice and all, but the commute would be too long. You should, search only in the Rockford suburbs or the Jainesville area. The schools are good as long if you don't live in Rockford proper. There is decent shopping, although you have to go to Madison for Costco. The metra line runs out of Harvard, IL which gives easy train access to downtown Chicago. Interstate 90 runs right through Jainesville and near Rockford which gives you easy access to Madison and all the events going on there. Remember, that you will pay higher taxes in Illinois then Wisconsin. Make sure you visit before you move and good luck!

Old 09-23-2012, 03:08 PM

I meant Janesville above.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:24 AM
a_k a_k started this thread

17 posts, read 31,649 times
Thanks for the additional comments.

I don't think I was as clear as I could have been on my criteria. Although diversity per se is not an absolute must, my wife would want to be within ~20-30 minutes driving distance of a decent Indian grocery store and restaurant, especially since she is a vegetarian. This is likely a non-negotiable criteria for long-term peace of mind :-). So Beloit and Janesville would likely not work and Rockford would be marginal at best. I realize this puts me in a tough situation -- having to choose between a long commute and giving up on a potentially lucrative opportunity -- but so be it.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:32 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_k View Post
Thanks for the additional comments.

I don't think I was as clear as I could have been on my criteria. Although diversity per se is not an absolute must, my wife would want to be within ~20-30 minutes driving distance of a decent Indian grocery store and restaurant, especially since she is a vegetarian. This is likely a non-negotiable criteria for long-term peace of mind :-). So Beloit and Janesville would likely not work and Rockford would be marginal at best. I realize this puts me in a tough situation -- having to choose between a long commute and giving up on a potentially lucrative opportunity -- but so be it.

obviously every relocation has many different aspects to discuss and list out in order of importance. And all of us on this forum can have different opinions on what we'd suggest or do that may or may not work out for your family.
I would think, if you list the job opp as "potentially lucrative", that in itself (in this economy) probably puts that at the top of the list. Again you can rent in any market your first year, and see if say living near Madison makes sense for the longer daily commute so you're closer to certain stores/restaurants, or if it's better to be closer to work and then drive occasionally to those stores. The best thing may be a visit, spend a few days checking the different living locations that have been listed here, see what you think of the drive each has (knowing it may not be under worst case situations right now) and what you and your family think of each spot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison