Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 08:24 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,616,763 times

Advertisements

Hands down Pizza Bruta on Monroe Street. Nothing beats it, natural ingredients, inexpensive. I love the pizza there! I just bought the 2013 Bucky Book that has Bucks in it. I may try it now since you guys are talking about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 09:13 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Anyone know of good pizza places that have gluten free options in Madison?

Old 10-06-2012, 12:11 AM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,191,355 times
I agree with JoshB. Pizza Brutta on Monroe is head and shoulders above any other place in Madison (and many other cities). Next best are Cafe Porta Alba (Hilldale) or Naples 15 (Butler Street).

Old 10-06-2012, 10:00 AM

230 posts, read 409,108 times
Is Pizza Brutta eastern US style pizza though? I'm not looking for fancy... you know, fresh from the cow mozarella, carmelized onions or anything like that... chewy fresh dough is a MUST!!!

Old 10-06-2012, 01:20 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,339,258 times
We like Roman Candle a lot for thinner-crust pizza, and Glass Nickel for the thicker-crust varieties.

GraniteStater, you might check Bunky's on Atwood Avenue for GF pizza, and for that matter, OP, you might give them a try for the pizza you are seeking as well. The owners of Bunky's are a couple, the husband Moroccan and the wife Italian. The wife is the granddaughter of the woman who owned and ran the original Bunky's in the Greenbush area of Madison, where all the Italian immigrants lived, back in the mid-20th century. The current incarnation of the restaurant serves both Italian and middle-eastern food, including a great many GF options, and we have been mightily impressed by their offerings in both cuisine styles.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:48 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
We like Roman Candle a lot for thinner-crust pizza, and Glass Nickel for the thicker-crust varieties.

GraniteStater, you might check Bunky's on Atwood Avenue for GF pizza, and for that matter, OP, you might give them a try for the pizza you are seeking as well. The owners of Bunky's are a couple, the husband Moroccan and the wife Italian. The wife is the granddaughter of the woman who owned and ran the original Bunky's in the Greenbush area of Madison, where all the Italian immigrants lived, back in the mid-20th century. The current incarnation of the restaurant serves both Italian and middle-eastern food, including a great many GF options, and we have been mightily impressed by their offerings in both cuisine styles.
Thank you for the recommendation. I might try them.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:30 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,191,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller91 View Post
Is Pizza Brutta eastern US style pizza though? I'm not looking for fancy... you know, fresh from the cow mozarella, carmelized onions or anything like that... chewy fresh dough is a MUST!!!
It is thin crust pizza, made in a wood fired oven. Definitely not fancy, all pizzas are between $8 and $12. Perfect in every way (and I've tried about every pizza place in Madison over 40 years...).

Old 10-06-2012, 09:00 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,399,834 times
I almost forgot.... I recently had a great pizza at The Brink Lounge on East Washington.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:53 AM

30 posts, read 60,060 times
pizza brutta is *very* good, but if i remember correctly, they only have "thin" crust pizza.

i'll second the recommendation for roman candle. it's my favorite pizza in town. just don't go to the roman candle in middleton... horrible, horrible service! i live less than a 10 minute drive from there, but have started going to the roman candle in fitchburg because i've never had a good dining experience at the middleton location.

i'm definitely going to give bucks a try. i drive past it all the time and have always wondered about it, but hearing so many people recommend it has convinced me to stop in sometime soon.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:14 PM

328 posts, read 655,253 times
I've tried Roman Candle-sucks, Glass Nickel- overrated, Falbo's- disappointed, and Bucks is pretty good but I dont eat pizza in Madison, my two favorite spots are Salvators Tomato Pies in Sun Prarie(a little pricey, but defiantly awesome local stuff) and most frequently visited spot for dining in and out...Maria's Pizza in Oregon. I love food, and I really love pizza, so I am extremely particular when it comes to it.These two places hit the nail on the head, every single time. I am a creature of habit, I like the same thing over and over. No reason to even consider anything in Madison when I have these two places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison