Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2012, 06:55 AM

1 posts, read 909 times

Advertisements

I am going to Madison for some business and have two questions. One is where my wife like might to go for a few hours while I'm busy. Shopping, coffee shops, bookstores are the type of things she likes. Just sort of looking for a general area.

The second would be a good place to have dinner later. No real requirements here other than no place where we would feel out of place in jeans. We would prefer somewhere that was not a chain that we can go to in any city. Type of food is open.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 08:31 AM

1,741 posts, read 5,401,344 times
It depends on the type of shopping your wife likes to do. Monroe Street has a nice selection of small unique specialty stores. the only problem is, the 2 commercial areas on Monroe Street are separated by a pretty good distance, not really walkable. Will she have access to a car? There is always State Street, which has aa number interesting little stores, but it isn't as good as it used to be. If she likes mall shopping there are 2 on the Westside that are kind of nice - Greenway station and West Towne mall.

You can go just about any place in jeans in Madison as long as you're neat and clean. foodfightInc.com lists a number of good restaurants.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:26 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,341,326 times
I'm not much of a shopper, though State Street used to be a lot of fun. There are fewer independent shops now, though, so it doesn't have quite the same vibe. Lots of university students there, too, which can be fun if you're in the mood for people-watching.

My late father used to really like Hilldale Mall for browsing. It's pretty upscale (which is why he liked it), though I find it a bit snooty, to be honest. They did a major overhaul there in the past couple of years, and it's pretty spiffy.

Of Megan's two suggestions, I'd recommend Greenway Station over West Towne Mall. West Towne is nice enough, but there isn't really anything special or unusual about it; you could believe that you're in pretty much any big mall anywhere in America. Greenway Station is an outdoor shopping area, very nicely laid out, and it feels more like a town center. Pretty nice shops there, too, though most are the big national chains as opposed to local businesses.

For restaurant recommendations, I'd point you to this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/madis...t-madison.html for a whole host of recommendations. Do read through to the end, as some of the places mentioned in the first couple of pages have closed since the thread was started, but you can get a really good idea of what Madison has to offer in the way of independent local restaurants.

Have fun and safe travels!

Old 11-02-2012, 11:47 PM

230 posts, read 409,228 times
For an out of town visitor I would definitely recommend State Street. On the one end is the capitol, and on the other is the university, including union terrace. There are plenty of coffee shops along the way and lots of cool shops.

Greenway is the kind of mall you find in any city: Loft, JJill, those sorts of stores. Hilldale is just an upscale and fairly small mall, again, not unlike what you would find anywhere.

The place I would want to walk and see if I were a visitor is State Street.

(moved here 25 plus years ago...)

Old 11-03-2012, 10:28 AM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,192,078 times
I agree with the State Street suggestion, though it is dominated by students and student-oriented businesses. Other options are either too small or too mall-like (which may not be a bad thing if the weather is cold. State Street, Monroe Stree, Greenway Station are all outdoors).

Old 11-05-2012, 11:27 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,417,599 times
You could nail both the shopping and the restaurant within the State Street / Capitol area. If I was only visiting for a day, that's where I would be.

Check out the restaurant thread MWB linked. It has a lot of great suggestions in it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison