Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 10:27 AM

246 posts, read 1,051,394 times

Advertisements

Hi:

I'll be in Madison over the Thanksgiving holidays. Never been there before. Any recommendations as to things to do the Friday after Turkey Day? Trying to amuse adults as well as a 15 y.o. girl and 11 y.o. boy/girl twins.

And: Any areas/places to avoid, especially on Black Friday?

All tips and hints would be most welcome. Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 06:12 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,351,624 times
Well, in Madison itself, you might take a stroll down State Street, which stretches from the Capitol to the UW campus. The students won't be around, of course, but there's still good people-watching opportunities, and there are some quirky places on State. The Madison Children's Museum is right on the Capitol Square, too, and even the 15-year-old might find herself having more fun than she'd expect. (Hint: the Children's Museum holds a monthly "adult swim" night for grown-ups to come in and play on all the cool stuff that the kids get to play with the rest of the time.)

Since you'll have adolescents with you, you might also consider a day trip up to one of the water parks in Wisconsin Dells. It's about 45 minutes up the highway, so would be an easy drive. I am not a fan of water parks myself, so I can't give you any recommendations, but I have a number of friends with adolescent/teenage kids who visit there all the time.

As for places to avoid, well, unless you're all big-time shoppers, you'll probably want to stay far away from the malls and the big-box stores that day. That's easy to do, since they all tend to be on the outskirts of town.

I'll do a little checking around and see if I can come up with any other suggestions, but hopefully that might get you started. Have fun on your stay here!

Old 11-19-2012, 06:39 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,050,320 times
if heading down to State st, perhaps (if it's open Friday) check out the state capital building which is at the beginning of State st on the square. If it is open then it's easy to walk around, see some impressive sights inside, and it should be fully decorated for the holidays. It also normally holds local choirs during the mid day which is nice to sit in the rotunda and take it all in (we enjoyed when our daughter's HS choir performed there).

Old 11-19-2012, 08:42 AM

Thank you very much for the suggestions, ranger17 and MidwesternBookWorm! Much appreciated!

Old 11-19-2012, 09:19 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,050,320 times
as for water parks, we used to stay at the Wilderness--partly as at least at the time they only allowed guests to use the facilty, not general admission like the others. BUT that very well may have changed over the years.... i believe there are a handful of large and entertaining parks up there to choose from to fit the need

Old 11-20-2012, 01:38 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,901,561 times
I can tell you where NOT to go! The malls, Best Buy, Target and Wal-Mart!!!

Old 11-20-2012, 09:04 PM

Again, much obliged my friends...

Old 11-21-2012, 09:26 PM

47 posts, read 126,920 times
State Street is a great suggestion. You might also want to check out the Sundance cinema which is unique to Madison. The kids might enjoy seeing "Life of Pi" and if there are ladies in your group their are some unique shops at Hilldale Mall (where the theatre is located). The Great Dane (they make their own beer) and Pasquals are both great places to eat. Have fun!

Old 11-25-2012, 04:36 PM

After a nice, warm Thanksgiving it sure did get cold on Black Friday! :-) We spent a shivery morning wandering up and down State Street, loving the very cool shops. Among other things, got the teenager a sock monkey hat. Still kicking myself for not picking up a genuine Japanese baseball jersey. Popped in for a coffee at one of the many java dispensers in the area. Checked out the Capitol building. Had a look at the lakes. Went to the food co-op on Willy Street (?) with a local friend and had some vegan delights. Movie for kids later, then the Glass Nickel for pizza in the evening. Great visit and will definitely come back -- maybe when it's warmer though! :-)

Old 11-25-2012, 07:26 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,351,624 times
Hey, thanks so much for letting us know how your visit went! Sounds like you hit some of my favorite places, and I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves so much. For a relatively small city, Madison has a lot to offer.

Sorry about that sudden cold snap on Friday, but that's Wisconsin for ya. Don't like the weather? Wait 15 minutes, it'll change. I was outside putting up lights with my tall kid, and we like to froze our ears off.

If you're serious about planning a return trip, I think the best weather here is from about mid-April to maybe mid-June, and again from late August to late October. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all seasons here, but those periods are the most temperate and comfortable if you enjoy outdoor activity.

Thanks again for stopping back with the note, and have a wonderful holiday season!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison