Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 05:59 PM

11 posts, read 27,333 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if any of you Madisonites have a preference in terms of cell phone carriers....any that get better reception than others? Or are they all about the same? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 06:41 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,879 times
My kids both use Verizon. They don't complain about it much, except when they actually have to deal with a Verizon employee. The cell phone my spouse and I share is also on Verizon, although we seldom if ever actually use it. Haven't had problems that I know of, but then one call (or fewer) per month is not much to base a recommendation on.

A work colleague uses US Cellular because she lives in a small community about 25 miles outside of Madison, and US Cellular is the only provider that reaches her area. If you will be doing much traveling outside the city and will need cell phone reception, that could be a relevant point.

Sorry, don't have much more to offer than that. I despise cell phones with a passion and would prefer never to need/use one, so I don't have a lot of direct experience to share. Hopefully others with less of an aversion to them will chime in, too.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:20 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,395,974 times
I feel U.S. Cellular has the best reception and consistent connections in the Madison area. I used to have Verizon (probably 13 years ago) and always had dropped calls. They also have very good customer service. I like the fact that calls after 7 are a free and there is no charge for incoming calls. Only bummer - no iphone.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:10 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,017,533 times
we had US Cellular for personal cell plans all the years we were up there, and they gave us better performance especially when we left the city (i even had a signal out in the boonies on family property in Marquette County lol). My wife switched to ATT when we moved here and she seems to have good service whenever we visit family back home. My Verizon workphone on the other hand, is just fine in most places in Madison. But say up in Poynette, zero signal even near the interstate. And not much out in rural areas.
So i'd recommend US Cellular if a true national plan/coverage isnt needed and the phone type is not a big deal. But if you want an Iphone, etc i'd say ATT over Verizon.

just my .02

Old 05-12-2013, 06:52 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,606,205 times
I've had US Cellular going on 7 years this August. My moms been with them for probably a decade now. No complaints here. My friend decided to try something different so he switched to Verizon, he said it's a big mistake and he's stuck with Verizon for now. He plans on coming back to US Cellular when his plan ends.

I've gotten consistent coverage everywhere in Wisconsin, including Marquette County like Ranger17 mentioned. You will be happy with US Cellular, I guarantee it.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:36 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,414,888 times
US Cellular, hands down. I've personally had them for 13 years now and they've been great the whole time, especially when traveling in the areas outside of Madison. Plus their evenings start at 7PM with no additional charge, which is huge for me when calling my family on the East Coast. My plan, which is a grandfathered older one, also has free incoming calls and text messages.

If you're going to use your cell phone as your primary home phone, make sure you get good reception there with whatever provider you may choose. Most have an initial 30-day window when you can cancel your contract if you are not happy.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:44 PM

I used to have that plan. When I switched to a smart phone they said I had to switch plans. I don't text much so it is no biggie for me. I still have free incoming calls though. I think free incoming calls are standard feature with US Cellular.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:45 PM

Free Incoming Calls, Texts and Pics | Features & Services | U.S. Cellular

Old 05-13-2013, 02:50 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,435,819 times
I use T-mobile. Plans are cheap ($50 unlimited) and they have great phones without contracts. Data connection speed is great in the city.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:15 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,414,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
I use T-mobile. Plans are cheap ($50 unlimited) and they have great phones without contracts. Data connection speed is great in the city.
If I were to switch from US Cellular, I'd check out T-Mobile before Verizon and AT&T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison